New default character discussion

Level design, models, animations, physics, etc.
34 posts Page 4 of 4
jnovosel
by jnovosel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm
Mixamo/Fuse is a great way to get characters into T3D - its free, no strings attached. I have several hundred models downloaded and fully rigged with thousands of animations to choose from.
Not sure what the resistance is to this product or why it matters how you construct your character... what does matter is whether or not it works in T3D and how easily it can be accomplished - both of these are met easily with Fuse/Mixamo
Looking forward to your tutorial TorqueFan !
Note also - We should be pursuing several default characters - male and female, military as well as civ
Duion

by Duion » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:32 pm
The string attached is that it is proprietary software and proprietary assets and this means that it is absolutely impossible to use in an open source software project like we have.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:30 am
The resistance is whether the output of the particular software allows you to freely distribute the models, this is less about the proprietary nature of the software (thou duion has a hate boner for anything not open source) as much as the usability of the output and licencing, which I've not actually looked into because.... well... I don't really care much, I already have a replacement for the solder default (search blue guy if you are interested).

I would note that duions premise is slightly off base, just because its proprietary software doesn't mean you cannot distribute the model, if that were true the use of blender and its assets would be a mainstream staple of the game industry and its not, the standard is still FBX and mostly from 3ds max
Duion

by Duion » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:50 am
@If you already have a replacement, then why don't you submit it? Probably because it does not exist, like all your projects.

I did not say you cannot distribute your proprietary model, but I said you cannot redistribute it. Distributing means, you can send it to me, but I'm not allowed to do anything with it that requires me to distribute it since it is proprietary, therefore it is completely useless for me as a developer.
34 posts Page 4 of 4