I want to open a game company - 1 person only lol (me)

noemen

Who already has a game company?

Do I need to create a company / company brand before I even have a product (game) to protect the company name or wait until the product is finished?

Here in my country (Brazil) it is possible to create a one-person company (individual micro entrepreneur MEI) that costs about $ 15 a month, but to register the brand costs about $ 400 ... For those who are entrepreneurs, I must register everything before?

What tips would you give me?

This highly depends on country, and I'd suggest that you look it up in a brazillian entrepreneur forum, as they will probably be able to give you more local help.

Where I'm from, you shouldn't open the company untill you need it. As soon as you open it, you are subject to a long list of administrative requirements, such as keeping budgets and filing taxes.

So unless you need the company for something, e.g. tax-exemption on purchases or hiring more people, don't open one. A company is not necessary to be a "real" developer nor is it necessary to work on a game.

If you are just worried about company / game name, I'd suggest you research whether you can register the name without creating a company.

This highly depends on country, and I'd suggest that you look it up in a brazillian entrepreneur forum, as they will probably be able to give you more local help.

Where I'm from, you shouldn't open the company untill you need it. As soon as you open it, you are subject to a long list of administrative requirements, such as keeping budgets and filing taxes.

So unless you need the company for something, e.g. tax-exemption on purchases or hiring more people, don't open one. A company is not necessary to be a "real" developer nor is it necessary to work on a game.

If you are just worried about company / game name, I'd suggest you research whether you can register the name without creating a company.

Thank you very much, I will follow your orders.

sounds like you have a similar system to what we have in the UK.

There's a solde trader which is a named person trading as 'company name' which protects that name.

Another thing thats useful in a variety of places is the internet domain name in the name of the 'company' for example I have bloodknightstudios.co.uk (current seeking a new website) but I have owned the domain name for a number of years this offers some (measly maybe but some) protection.

But as Lukas points out such things do vary in detail from country to country

You should not "need" to register a company to trade under a name for "sole proprietor". If your country has a trade deal with the US you will need to telephone the IRS in America - fill out the W8-BEN form first - to register yourself as a "non-resident alien" --- you want to opt for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) rather than a TIN (Tax Identification Number) because you are the business. That way Steam doesn't withold tax. If you cannot get an US EIN in your country, you'll need to send receipts to your tax office to try and claim back US paid tax as a local tax credit (good luck with that!). More info https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/finance/taxfaq (though a lot of it is not that helpful).

tl;dr - no you don't need to be a company but if you start making serious dosh it really helps. ;)

You don't need to do anything for now, create game or whatever product first and then you can worry about that. You also do not need a company, as Steve says, you are the company, a company is only needed, if you are a bigger business that has multiple people and/or make serious money. Apart from that check the laws of your country.

You don't need to do anything for now, create game or whatever product first and then you can worry about that. You also do not need a company, as Steve says, you are the company, a company is only needed, if you are a bigger business that has multiple people and/or make serious money. Apart from that check the laws of your country.

Thank you all.

I created a .com domain to share the progress of my project (like your Duion). Do I need to worry about the safety of my brand (like your "Duion")? I'm afraid to copy my brand and claim it. Or even protect my site (logo and names) under the Copyright