Character with Rig and Animations and a crappy tutorial about transfering weights to a MakeHuman mesh

Graphical resources like models and images.
29 posts Page 2 of 3
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm
I am always still learning myself so this was really meant to be a starting point for people learning as well as myself. those are good suggestions. Perhaps in my next side project of learning, I will figure out how to bake into a single texture, I've always wanted to learn that. About, the doubled texture for LOD, how do I get rid of that? In Blender, is there a way to point to the same UVmap for the more detailed models?

This really wasn't meant to be a game ready character it was about how to re-use old animations and a basic way to get makehuman characters into Torque.
Duion

by Duion » Thu May 30, 2019 2:18 pm
To explain it really really short, you just dublicate the model and for one you just unwrap it onto one UV map, then you bake the textures of the original to your newly created one, pretty simple, once you found the right buttons.

Regarding the LOD textures, I don't even know how you managed to get them in the first place, they are pointless and I consider LOD textures pointless in general for the most part.

Yes sure as a tutorial how to re-use old animation this is great. I could not figure that out so far, but once you animated a character you will realize there are not that many animations you have to do, the most complex animation is the run and maybe reload cycle, most other animations just consist of a few poses and frames.

If you are perfectionist I would not really recommend to re-use anything, since if you transfer animations from on character to another, you don't get exactly the same result, the only exception is, when they are designed to be compatible from the start.

My point is, you may teach people bad design behavior, that is why I did not make tutorials so far, since I always think I may have done something totally wrong and I don't want to teach people wrong things.
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Thu May 30, 2019 4:25 pm
That's understandable but I for one suck at animations and am not really a good modeling artist at all. I think many people fall into this sort of category. Right now for instance, I'm re-using the animations included in the Tactical AI Kit and this was sort of an exercise for me to practice making compatible rigs and what it in-tales. That is why I included the blend file. Others can use this as a starting point. The weights could use some work and people can open it up and make it better. Or watch a tutorial on baking textures and implement that or learn a better way to implement my levels of detail.

The LOD textures are exported with the LOD meshes. If I delete the materials from the LOD models, they turn white.

Right now I am working on a Soldier compatible rig and it seems to be coming along pretty well. I really don't want to teach people bad practices(myself included) and that is a good point. Hopefully people will see this as a starting point and be encouraged to make their makehuman models more optimized and game ready.

Perhaps no one will use this anyway, it is entirely up to them but I think re-using is a time saver for me personally because animation is very hard for me.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:44 pm
Hey Jason, finally got around to beginning this tutorial, found a few issues that make it difficult to follow a bit. The character you provide and use as a base is not the same one you are using in the tutorial. I mean it is the same one but not the base you are using. It looks like it is your finished product. Your pics and my blender display are not the same. In your example you have a base model that has torquegamechar in the model with your "newly" named tutchar300 on the outside of this group as you build it. In my unzipped character you provide this is not there. you have no torquegamechar, just your 300 and 100 finished meshes. I tried using one of these to transfer weights but it does not seem to work. I can not get the weight transfer to actually happen no matter what I do. I figured it shouldn't matter if I used those or the original, but using those just does not happen. I will play more with it today, and as I have never done this a lot could be me, but I know the model downloaded and the one I see in your examples are in different stages which makes it harder to follow.
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 am
Sorry about that. It was so confusing, keeping all those .blends straight. The model named torqueGameChar300 is torqueGameChar, I just used the same file to make the "finished" character. The reason for the different names is that I made like I was doing the tutorial but didn't upload that same .blend. Woops. Anyway, it doesn't matter. As long as you drop your character on the torqueBiped01 to set it as parent. Choose "with empty groups" and then click torqueGameChar300 to select it, then hold SHIFT and select your character. Without selecting anything else, go to Weight Paint. Click Transfer Weights button. This opens a window below, named Transfer Mesh Data. You will see Source Layers Selection - By Order. Change this to By Name and then the transfer should happen.

Edit: I would also like to say that if you have a rigged, pose-able character you can just pose it to fit the bones and then apply the armature to effectively "freeze" that pose then transfer the weights. I just mean, it doesn't have to be a makehuman character.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:49 pm
Sorry about that. It was so confusing, keeping all those .blends straight. The model named torqueGameChar300 is torqueGameChar, I just used the same file to make the "finished" character. The reason for the different names is that I made like I was doing the tutorial but didn't upload that same .blend. Woops. Anyway, it doesn't matter. As long as you drop your character on the torqueBiped01 to set it as parent. Choose "with empty groups" and then click torqueGameChar300 to select it, then hold SHIFT and select your character. Without selecting anything else, go to Weight Paint. Click Transfer Weights button. This opens a window below, named Transfer Mesh Data. You will see Source Layers Selection - By Order. Change this to By Name and then the transfer should happen.

Edit: I would also like to say that if you have a rigged, pose-able character you can just pose it to fit the bones and then apply the armature to effectively "freeze" that pose then transfer the weights. I just mean, it doesn't have to be a makehuman character.
Hahaha no problem, I figured as much. I can imagine it being difficult to keep them all straight. I am not criticizing your little tutorial (not negatively anyway), just want to make it work and the differences made it harder as I am not very good at this aspect of blender at all. As I said, between my ignorance and the differences I was just confused. In the end I learned a lot by just playing around with it trying to make it work. Also just want this to be a nice little resource for anyone interested and want to smooth it out so if anyone else wants or needs to use it, the tutorial makes more sense. @your edit- Did not know that but figured it should be the case, just didn't know how. Will check that out once I get the weights transfer down. Baby steps!

I will do it again with your clarifications. Thanks for the response.
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:24 pm
The Source character has to be visible. Not hidden.
Duion

by Duion » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 pm
I'm pretty certain making animations is easier than all what you are doing here, since I as a good artist was able to learn how to animate and fully animating my character in a few days, with no prior experience, but I was not able to transfer any animations to anything. Sure you can just rename all your bones and retarget and transfer anything so it will match some other already animated character, but as soon as you need even one custom animation, you have to do it your own and learn how to do it, which will almost certainly happen at some point, just saying.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:14 pm
I'm pretty certain making animations is easier than all what you are doing here, since I as a good artist was able to learn how to animate and fully animating my character in a few days, with no prior experience, but I was not able to transfer any animations to anything. Sure you can just rename all your bones and retarget and transfer anything so it will match some other already animated character, but as soon as you need even one custom animation, you have to do it your own and learn how to do it, which will almost certainly happen at some point, just saying.
That is not true. Just because you made animations in a certain amount of time and found it easier than transferring animations does not mean making them is easier. You do realize different people have different skillsets and find some things easier than others and vice verse? I find this much less tedious than animating. I already know how to animate, I just suck at it and find it boring and tedious. It also teaches one how things work even if never used. As I said in another post, I have the mega motion pack, great animations in there and better than I could do in months and months of animating. Also knowing how things work and knowing how to animate AND do this just expands knowledge and gives more options for future projects. You yourself said you couldn't even figure this out. It was easier for you to just animate them. It is easier for me to grab a compatible skeleton and transfer weights. I will animate if I have to, I can do it. I just dislike doing it and it takes more time. I am one person. I am not part of a team. Using animations and transferring weights saves me time, then I can animate the things I have to, and tweak the weights, this is much faster for me. You assume a lot of things, just saying.
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:15 pm
If you need custom animations, just animate this rig and you have new animations and old soldier animations. Or don't use it at all.
29 posts Page 2 of 3