Red 611 project (working title) WIP

33 posts Page 2 of 4
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm
Sure you can make it complicated and invent scripts or try to animate the camera in hope it matches the real bobbing that occurs while walking, or you could just use the real bobbing of the player character that happens anyway, but this only works if you use the third person model in first person as well or at least enough of it, that you include the eye node and the bones of the head and spine, that the camera will be parent of and inherent all the animations.

PS: You can try out my bobbing in Uebergame paintball mode, I have slight bobbing while walking in the camera and the weapon and stronger bobbing while sprinting and a slight breathing idle animation, so no matter what you do, the player is always moving slightly, which will reflect in the first person view.

PPS: I also have camera shake on impact, when you jump down somewhere or when you run against a wall or especially if a bullet or explosion hits you, that adds further feedback for the player.
I think , I will try to animate a partial skeleton, it will probably be the best for me now....Thanks Duion.
Bishop
by Bishop » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 pm
So I created some bones - root bone , neck bone and head bone I animated them to simulate walking....nothing perfect, I need to improve the animation but somehow it just works, I still need to find how to do it to play animation only when the player uses wasd keys:-)
....also I downloaded newest stable Torque 3.10.1 and I would like to transfer this project that I started in version 3.5 to 3.10.1 but I don't know where to copy or how to do it .... some hints?
Thanks guys
Duion

by Duion » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 pm
You still think too complicated. You take a full model, animate that and use that in first person as well, then it will match exactly the third person movement.
Later you can change the first person model in case of clipping bugs etc.
Bishop
by Bishop » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 pm
@
Duion
I don't need a full character for this project...only collision capsule and
fps camera with detecting items important to the game...nothing more.
....i don't need the hands or shadows of the fps character.
.....I have only three bones parented to the capsule....animated and this works...not complicated.....but I guess it will be a better head bobbing script .... ....i'll see how it looks like...maybe I leave the camera without bobbing.
Bishop
by Bishop » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 pm
I looked at GuiShapeNameHud but must be a child of a GuiTSCtrl and a server
connection must be present....what is "connection must be present"?
....but GuiTSCtrl shows a view like another camera...is there any tutorial how this Guis works?
....also I looked at GuiObjectView which is great for like a adventure items that appear when mouse button clicked to be enlarged for detailed examination.....that's great.....I just need it for this project.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am
I would still make a full character, you can just export one out of Makehuman for example, it will be a full character model including all bones in the correct places. It is much easier to animate an existing character instead of animating a nonexistent one.
Bishop
by Bishop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm
Thanks Duion,.... but I will stay at the usual setting for not third person cam look.....in this project player's character in the game is not visible at all...I model the characters myself.....I use Blender's ManuelbastioniLAB plugin for characters but just as a reference....when I am satisfied with the appearance/proportions of the character then I will make my own mesh using retopology procedure....because the characters made by this plugin are not optimized for games and you cannot use them in a commercial projects....also you have more control how your character looks.
.....what I need now to continue the project is RayCasting from camera and displaying text on the screen when the ray is collided with an interactive subject...ex. book on the shelf.
....I couldn't find anywhere the exact procedure or tutorial where write this functions or in general how exactly do this....in the engine reference is in the tsstatic class reference ....in the protected member functions - bool castRay (const Point3F & start, const Point3F & end, rayinfo info) and other castRayRendered(const Point3F & start, const Point3F & end, rayinfo info)....
....also Entity Class , ShapeBase Class, Player Class and etc. have this functions....but what is the procedure and how to link raycasting from the camera to the text on the screen?.....in the documentation this is all basic things for a gameplay missing or it is explained inexplicably, incompletely for the newcomers. :(
I can write a script in the Godot engine for a raycasting from camera in a moment but in the Torque engine as a beginner I don't know even where to write the script to make it work.
Duion

by Duion » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:36 pm
Makehuman models are CC0 / public domain, so no problem with those, just export it and you are done. I use the default full skeleton, but I remodeled almost all the mesh to have much lower polygon count, in your case you can delete the rest, if you really want to, but you can also use a lower polygon version that is automatically exported by Makehuman.

Regarding those other functions, I usually use the search function before I try to do it myself, I search the engine/template code if it has what I want, if not I search the Garagegames resources section, if that does not work, I ask in the forum or chat. In most cases someone already has done what you need, you then just need to implement it and adapt to your case.
Bishop
by Bishop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm
I already have the basic character model...one generic male model (retopologized from manuelbastioniLAB plugin) and from this I create a different characters for the project.

Attachments

fps_capsule.png
fps capsule
fps_capsule.png (47.26 KiB) Viewed 569 times
project_character_wip.png
project character wip
project_character_wip.png (127.38 KiB) Viewed 569 times
generic_project_figure.png
generic male
generic_project_figure.png (144.94 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Duion

by Duion » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 pm
My main point was to use a full real skeleton for the character, so you get realistic movements and camera bobbing, additionally it is much easier to animate than a box with only a neck and a head bone.

And when you can get a free ready made model, why not use it, you don't need to intentionally remove the quality of the game, by having no player character at all.

I played a few games that were also only just first person, like Portal for example, but they almost always had some real player model, even if you never or almost never see it.
33 posts Page 2 of 4