Importing from Blender (the ONLY tool you can use for free if you want to do decent models) equals to at least tree days of research, and still not quite right.
please elaborate on points of confusion. either here, or in a focused thread.
No multiple UV's supported.
As Duion said, at time of writing, lightmapping references a given modeles secondary UV channel. please elaborate on what all else you'd want to use them for.
Bugged animation tools.
Sketch tool is completely useless as it stands.
what additional or altered functionality would you like to see.
Good luck on making animated materials without coding skills.
Not sure what you mean there...
Due to the various versions of Torque it is very difficult when searching for help, to know what has been fixed in the current version, what tutorials will work
and what features exist and can be expected to work correctly.
In no particular order...
- A line should be drawn at some version, for example 3.8. Then the wiki, resources and forum should have that as a separate starting point where only stuff that applies will be found.
Yeah, when these forums were initially being cooked up, the initial plan was for it to be 4.0/rework focused before Stuff Happened. As is, the bound is generally around 3.7ish.
- A list of known issues ie. things that dont work correctly should be made and put on a page where it can be checked. (maybe not every small bug). This will stop multiple bug reports and also help noobs to figure out if something should work or not.
If it's just to jot down bug notes there's https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues
hashing out particulars to fix complex issues would be where the forums/irc/skype comes in.
- There should be some common base class that all objects / shapes use which has stuff like mounting in it. It should allow anything to mount to anything and all in the same way.
Many FPS games have tanks / robots / vehicles with working gun turrets... Surely this should be one of the standard operations that a new user can achiever fairly simply?
These are games not the real world. We want people mounted on rocks mounted on robots each with a gun turret.... lol ... anything to anything. (I can suggest how to do it but I am sure the C++ guys here already know)
main root at time of writing for most assets (and the root being used for the entity/component work) will be Gamebase Class
note it's bipartite: someClassData for data shared across all object-instances, and someClass for the object-instance end. The Shapebase Class
is a bit higher-order which in conjunction with shapebaseimage comprises the lions share of interactable content root. (player, vehicle, item, camera et-al being a subclass of shapebase at present, with, again plans to replace those based on Jeffs work https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/pull/1615
- There should be a place where simple examples can be found. Templates are okay but they will always be very specific.
that one's kindasorta what http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=484
is about. or at least smaller chunks to digest.
- If editors / script functions dont work 100% then perhaps they can have some sort of pop up comment in them that alerts users