Global Illumination

Moderator: andrewmac

35 posts Page 1 of 4
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:35 pm
Hey everyone, sorry for the radio silence. I've been getting into the more advanced stuff I had planned for the engine from the beginning. Torque 6 now has compute shader support and I've begun work on a real time global illumination solution. These features will likely fall into an "advanced" feature set that is only enabled if you're using newer hardware. This way the minimum requirements for the engine are kept low but we're also not held back.

This is a very very rough early in-development shot:

It's all real time, both lighting and geometry can be changed on the fly and the GI will reflect those changes. I'm hoping this will settle on a reasonable middle ground between VXGI and LPV. VXGI has the best quality but it's really slow. LPV is fast enough for games but it has poor quality. What I'm doing is a sort of hybrid of the two, but I'm still not entirely convinced it will work out as I don't think anyone has done it this way. Stayed tuned! I'll post more updates as I make progress.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:31 pm
Great to hear from you.

This approach seems really nice.

If this is unsuccessful what will you do, VXGI or LPV?
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:47 pm
What I'm trying to do is basically a conservative voxelization. Instead of voxelizing everything in the scene I'm only voxelizing lit surfaces. For first bounce GI you really only need the directly lit surfaces. Unfortunately you run into a bunch of occlusion issues (note the light bleeding in the screenshot) since you don't have the voxelization of the scene to test for light blocking geometry. I believe I can work around this and produce an acceptable approximation at game-worthy speeds.

If it becomes obvious this just isn't going to work no matter how many tricks I use I will keep taking steps closer and closer to VXGI until I settle on something usable in games or just end up with full blown VXGI.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:48 am
Fixed a number of bugs:

andrewmac

by andrewmac » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 am
Direct Light Only ( I know, light bleed in the shadows.. it will be fixed soon™ ):

Direct + Skylight:

Direct + Skylight + Realtime GI:

Still lots of bugs and work to do but it's coming along. Needs AO real bad.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:56 pm
Really good. Big progress. :)
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:07 am
Minor shadow tweaks and a simple SSAO shader:

I did some work on an SSDO shader but I haven't got it fully working yet. I figured an SSAO shader is always useful so I put this one together. Looks a lot better with AO.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:27 am
You are getting close and closer. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Gav
by Gav » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:30 am
Looks nice! How about disabling ambient lighting at all and depend on Direct + GI (with indirect lighting) ?
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:30 pm
@
Gav
: I'll snap a shot of it later tonight. It will reveal the flaws in the cone tracing shader. The realtime GI is far from finished and I'm sure I'll be tweaking the cone tracing algorithm for weeks/months to come.

I am going to switch gears a little bit and improve shadows and try a new antialiasing method. I like the way the shot looks so far but now the jagged shadow edges and aliasing on the cube edges is bothering me. I'm only going to work on visuals until the end of this month and then I'm going back to working on the editor. I'm really hoping to have a beta release of the engine ready in November.
35 posts Page 1 of 4