This thing uses T3d

Chelaru

Hello, i don't use it. I just found out. My idea was to ask the forum, maybe some one from the SC will give us some info.

You mean the Steering Committee? That does not exist anymore for years now, just in case you did not know.

Regarding to the topic, I don't even know what this is good for, it just says rendering framework, what are you supposed to use it for? It seems to be middleware not designed for end users.

Hello, i don't use it. I just found out. My idea was to ask the forum, maybe some one from the SC will give us some info.

You mean the Steering Committee? That does not exist anymore for years now, just in case you did not know.

Regarding to the topic, I don't even know what this is good for, it just says rendering framework, what are you supposed to use it for? It seems to be middleware not designed for end users.

It has T3d at the end. T3d is used as a engine from what i get.

I think you'd need to get more details from @Timmy, but I believe this is more than just a one-off thing, from what I've seen discussed in discord there's some back and forth discussion between Timmy and the forge devs.

If this lives up to even half the hype then this thing will potentially be one of the biggest things in open source engine development for a long long time. I think the future of t3d is looking brighter and brighter because of things like this.

I think you'd need to get more details from @Timmy, but I believe this is more than just a one-off thing, from what I've seen discussed in discord there's some back and forth discussion between Timmy and the forge devs.

If this lives up to even half the hype then this thing will potentially be one of the biggest things in open source engine development for a long long time. I think the future of t3d is looking brighter and brighter because of things like this.

Is @Timmy alive? Didn't he had a "breakup" with t3d ?

@Chelaru

Wow, I didn't know this topic was that hot!. Forgive me. I guess I'll be watching this thread if it got this much response in so little a time!

@Duion

The Steering Committee hasn't been around for two years. Should I star a new thread for this topic, or can you reply on this one! So who is steering Torque Development?

@Duion

The Steering Committee hasn't been around for two years. Should I star a new thread for this topic, or can you reply on this one! So who is steering Torque Development?

It is more like 3-5 years depending on how you define it, strictly speaking as soon as Torque3D was in the hands of the nonexistent community the idea of the steering committee and everything that came with it was more or less abandoned. JeffR has taken control of it all now, since he is the only active existing member left with write access to the repository, I would still be there as well, but they threw me out. It is probably pointless to create new threads about that, I did multiple times and it was still ignored.

Given the topic is wholly derailed at this point, thanks duion...

nonexistent community

o tly?

JeffR has taken control of it all now, since he is the only active existing member left with write access to the repository.

maybe just an issue of verbiage but given your animosity towards jeff, I figured an intervention was required. the part 'taken control' is less accurate than he was the last man standing after everyone else jumped ship.

There are mechanisms in place to solve this problem, which on the whole is still based on the fact that everyone is working on the GarageGames repository (do you still need to 'sign' that bullshit form to be able to work contribute?), for which there is no actual admin because GG is a ghost organisation with maybe a handful of people still making money they don't deserve from a name they bought.

There exists a Torque organisation on Github from which jeff can better administrate and use the full spectrum of GitHub tools to create teams etc for the various repositories, how and when this transition will occur I don't know but it is a thing, so that's a potential future positive to look forward to.

As far as the SC, it was always going to fail right from the start any committee created to make decisions generally end up sitting in a pool of filth of their own making, using hindsight we can see that while a full SC was sitting the advancement was negligible, since its collapse the engine has evolved. What has happened on the whole is that the direction of the engine has been democratised by the community, with the developers that do having the knowledge they do making final decisions, most of which are way above the paygrade of most of the users.

The reality is simple, the developers who are maintaining the advanced features of the engine are few, and those few are part-timers, on the whole making huge improvements to their highly customised versions of the engine and porting back these advancements to the general engine repo that the rest of us use. The PBR upgrade is more of a combined and concerted effort but even that still has its roots in the other guys custom engines.

The community is smaller than it was, this is true and if you really want engine features, well the reality is that you probably need to add them yourself, if you make a start there are lots of community members willing to help via altruism or enlightened self-interest, probably doesn't matter, the more useful and universal the feature the more help and assistance and likelihood it will be rolled into the engine, and those people, who are head down in code are constantly answering questions I'm going to single out @Azaezel for the seal of awesomeness here because I see him answer random code questions almost constantly.

I have no animosity towards JeffR, he is doing great work, but that does not change the fact that he tries to control it all by himself and at the same time throwing everything overboard that was decided before. You can like the SC concept or not, but fact is still, that when it was still in place, everything worked much better, for example the plan was to have 4 major releases of the engine each year which was more or less met, but now we have no releases for over 2 years now, so to the outside it looks like there is nothing happening anymore and that there is no leadership.