Pre-Release Candidate 4.0 build

JeffR

Hey guys!

With as big of chunks of development all coming together now, there's bound to be a few rough edges that need a bit of shine before we can put out a right-proper Release Candidate build.

So, I've put together a build just for that, a Pre-RC 4.0 Preview build.

Repo: https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/tree/Preview4_0

Windows precompiled: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld5_win.zip

Linux precompiled: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld5_lin.zip

MacOS precompiled: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld5_mac.zip

I'll have linux and mac precompileds up tomorrow.

Known issues/problems:

-Some gui profiles haven't been updated/finalized with the editor dark theme so expect some bits to not match aesthetically, Those'll be shored up this week

-Some ongoing tidbits with forward lighting with PBR materials, as per me and Az's discussion in #dev Majority of the PBR logic works, just be aware that forward/translucent materials are likely to exhibit oddness

-Updated BaseGame UI theme isn't complete, most noteably scaling of the various main menu UIs being shifted to the left. Also need to update the aesthetic of the options menu

-Secondary windows(notably Verve's editor) don't close when you click the window 'x'. To close it atm you need to click the editor menu to close it out

I plan to rapid-fire throw fixes in as they're made/suggested into the preview build so that we can easily just peel them out and PR them to the main repository later.

Feel free to throw down issues noted here, or in the discord

The #4_0-pre-rc-testing channel is the one dedicated to testing and feedback on the preview build.

For anything you feel needs a tutorial or demonstration(with all the new stuff, i 100% know there'll be cases of that, feel free to throw out a suggestion about it in the #tutorials channel as well. Got a pretty solid idea of the must-haves for these, but more ideas is always good.

And remember, it's not even a release candidate, so expect some rough spots. I want to have things largely in a shape for RC by the end of the month so we can give a few weeks to shore up any remaining problem spots and give this bad boy a mirror shine before launch :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already taking it for a spin. Been waiting on this for a while...

As I have not commented in the work blog thread just wanted to let you know it all looks fantastic. I am very excited about this. Been playing with Torque2D up until now. Going to switch gears a bit I think.

Run the prebuilt binary, windows 10 machine, RTX2080 video, launch the 4.0 binary, click on launch GUI editor, as soon as it comes up, click file->close editor. On main screen hit launch GUI editor again, crash to desktop. Reproduce 100%.

Launch prebuilt binary, click on launch world editor, then click on file->exit level, then click on launch world editor, crashes to desktop, reproduce 100%, same problem as launching the gui editor.

I haven't loaded up the code to look just working with the binaries and ran into those two.

few crashes every now and again but this is probably due to it being pre rc and a few more things need to be added. So far though its looking absolutely amazing!! the graphical advantages of the pbr comes straight to the forefront im guessing the textures on here are the same as before and havent been changed much yet look way more defined and much better detail with a few select changes in the material editor

Hey guys, thanks for the ongoing feedback!

Windows build 2 is up here: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld2_win.zip

Includes fixes to get the mac side playing nicely again, so can actually get the linux/mac builds up tomorrow(almost 4am here now, heh)

Several other fixes, more of Mar's assimp improvements and it now includes D3D_Compiler47.dll by default for windows version compatibility, so that should take care of the error Duion was spotting.

Still tracking on the crashes people are seeing, it's something with the combination of the PBR branch and something relatively recent in devhead butting heads, so it's been a little tricky to track down, but it's been my main focus point. Plan is to focus on that tomorrow, and then when that's cracked, asset-ify FPSGameplay stuff so we can start breaking out content into example cases for e/c stuff as well as gameplay mode implementations and the like.

I'll also keep tweaking the dark theme stuff to catch up the bits that aren't matching up.

Incidently, do you guys like the darker dark theme like the main editor currently is in, or do you like a lighter dark theme, like how the Verve editor looks?

If we can pick one or the other, i'll make the whole thing more visually consistent.

Keep up the testapalooza so we can hammer down these rough spots! :)

Hey JeffR, so far I have not had any crashes, however I have noticed when I launch the program it starts in windowed mode, if I leave it in windowed mode and try to launch the world editor I can not see the bottom part that says "start level" or "return to menu" unless I make the program full screen. I played around with different settings but seems constant, at least on my machine.

OS- Win 10

CPU- Ryzen 5

GPU- RX 580

Main monitor- Ultra HD @ 3840x2160

I am loving it so far. Thank all of you who work on this for making it happen. Will keep reporting.

i was at a photoshoot today and now just editing photos but when i get this done i will be testing flat out :) :) terrific work guys, also on the other note i like the editor the way it is tbh, but whatever one gains the popular is the one that should be used lik i can always switch it around later on if i really feel the need to

okay after downloading build 2 it fails to run the world editor on pbr test

im running GTX 970ti

on my other machine

RTX2070 strix it runs okay not sure whats happening

GTX970 machine hangs when it changes from loading objects to starting mission for a few seconds and then the system responds again

All settings on max on both but windowed

Console log only output that reports an error is this

Set::remove: Object "20856" does not exist in set

another error

tools/worldEditor/scripts/EditorGui.ed.cs (600): Cannot re-declare object [EditorMissionCleanup].

Should note the OpenAL end of things on mac was a bit of a hack that cost us the new reverb stuff on that platform. At some point we'll need to revisit that to sort out how to properly use the git-included library instead of the os framework to leverage the AL_ALEXT_PROTOTYPES extended functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

Some excellent spots/feedback on this guys!

As per my workblog, last 2 weeks was largely chasing down that really unpleasant crash-on-level load business, you can read up the details on that in the workblog thread.

Here's the latest precompiled, and my repo is up to date as well:

http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld4_win.zip

Had to fix a few other small bugs throwing the UI off before I got this up, so the other platform builds will go up tomorrow.

I haven't had a chance to dig into the missing dll crash @brother_david and @Razer were running into for this one, so you guys might still run into it(now that we're not chasing an annoying phantom crash, crunching through this other stuff should go a LOT quicker now ;) ) so I'll do some research on that tomorrow as well.

It is not a DLL related with something very specific to Torque 3D ? I have hundred dev tools and other things on my computer and it's the very first time a program asks for that DLL.

Meanwhile i downloaded that DLL and put it on the main Torque folder, but running AssetWork there is no crash but nothing happens ?

Mac Precompiled added to OP.

@Razer Can you clarify what you mean by 'nothing happens'? Do you see the splash screen? Get to the main menu? Anything in the logs?

It's like it is starting looking at the mouse cursor, and nothing, no screen, no process running. Like the process just shuts down after starting.

Perhaps the DLL i downloaded is not the right version one.

Hey, I've been attempting to compile the Pre-Release in Linux and so far have some case-sensitive problems. In customShaderFeature.cpp - line 23, it was CustomShaderFeature.h but was supposed to be customShaderFeature.h.

Damn case-sensitivity.

In meshREnderSystem.h, I changed, #include "core/util/SystemInterfaceList.h" to #include "core/util/systemInterfaceList.h"

There were some others too.

In renderProbeMgr.h, I had to change

inline bool ProbeRenderInst::operator ==(const ProbeRenderInst& b) const

to

inline bool operator ==(const ProbeRenderInst& b) const

I got it to compile without errors and the executable would only run from command line.

I used

CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS                           -no-pie

CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE          -no-pie

re-compiled and the executable would run with a double click. I don't really know what -nopie means but I read it isn't the best practice.

When I enter a level, there are a ton of errors that I believe may stem from case-sensitivity in Linux.

I will check more into it.

Thanks

Only thing we've got thus far resembling a decent report thus far is:

When launching T3D 4.0 Test 2 (May 25 2019) this error appears. Did not occur with prior Test 1 (May 20 2019).

That'll translate to checking each commit on somebody with a win 7 box from Commits on May 19, 2019 to probably around Commits on May 24, 2019.

Any Takers?

Hey, I've been attempting to compile the Pre-Release in Linux and so far have some case-sensitive problems. In customShaderFeature.cpp - line 23, it was CustomShaderFeature.h but was supposed to be customShaderFeature.h.

Damn case-sensitivity.

In meshREnderSystem.h, I changed, #include "core/util/SystemInterfaceList.h" to #include "core/util/systemInterfaceList.h"

There were some others too.

In renderProbeMgr.h, I had to change

inline bool ProbeRenderInst::operator ==(const ProbeRenderInst& b) const

to

inline bool operator ==(const ProbeRenderInst& b) const

I got it to compile without errors and the executable would only run from command line.

I used

CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS                           -no-pie

CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE          -no-pie

re-compiled and the executable would run with a double click. I don't really know what -nopie means but I read it isn't the best practice.

When I enter a level, there are a ton of errors that I believe may stem from case-sensitivity in Linux.

I will check more into it.

Thanks

Good spots on all this, I'll make sure to get this rolled in.

On the no-pie thing, I did some reading and it seems like it's more just a "it's less secure this way because it doesn't get punted into random memory", but since it actually lets the thing run without any hoop-jumping, then unless something else crops up for why it's bad to use, I'm sorta inclined to have it be the default.

We could probably have that be an option in cmake so if someone wants that added security and is willing to juggle the extra headache of the security measures messing with stuff, they can.

Going to dig into this today (likely an issue on my end based on the feedback so far) but all of the builds fail to run on my system. They show the Torque3D splash screen and then immediately close. Console log seems normal, last line is 'sfxStartup...' but that's not particularly helpful.

This is on a Win10 machine with a 1060 3GB card.

Going to dig into this today (likely an issue on my end based on the feedback so far) but all of the builds fail to run on my system. They show the Torque3D splash screen and then immediately close. Console log seems normal, last line is 'sfxStartup...' but that's not particularly helpful.

This is on a Win10 machine with a 1060 3GB card.

Had you been keeping up with the development fork from time to time, or would this be a prior master to these forks as far as checking in goes? We shifted the backend to openal-soft a few months ago, so it may be something tripping there...

One way to doublecheck would be to go to your

C:\Users\\Documents\\preferences\clientPrefs.cs and flip:

$pref::SFX::device = "OpenAL";

to

$pref::SFX::device = "NULL";

Edited by Azaezel