Stop using Discord

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
50 posts Page 5 of 5
Julius
by Julius » Fri May 24, 2019 10:05 pm
I know I should not engage in discussions with you, but you have again no idea what you are talking about :p
A bridge does not move everything to Discord, the opposite is the case, i.e. everything is moved off Discord and they only retain a tiny fraction of the user data that they currently get. Of course you could argue that it makes it easier to stay on Discord, but lets face the truth here... the majority of people will stay there for the time being. But at least with the bridge they have a good alternative available.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:09 am
I know I should not engage in discussions with you, but you have again no idea what you are talking about :p
A bridge does not move everything to Discord, the opposite is the case, i.e. everything is moved off Discord and they only retain a tiny fraction of the user data that they currently get. Of course you could argue that it makes it easier to stay on Discord, but lets face the truth here... the majority of people will stay there for the time being. But at least with the bridge they have a good alternative available.
That is a good alternative kind of get the best of both worlds. Kind of off topic but your game packs on opengameart are amazing love the attention to detail in them
Duion

by Duion » Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 pm
That is a good alternative kind of get the best of both worlds. Kind of off topic but your game packs on opengameart are amazing love the attention to detail in them
No you don't get the best of both worlds, this is totally irrational, you are just extending the data harvesting to infect open source platforms as well, so you are making it worse overall.
He also does not have any game packs on Opengameart, most of his stuff is from other people, he just uploaded it and even most of the few things he made are unfinished prototypes, but he does not even pretend that it is his stuff, he correctly names the authors who made the stuff he uploaded, you just failed to read.
NekoDemon117
by NekoDemon117 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 am
@ Duion

Wow, you are on the snide lately. :roll:
Duion

by Duion » Mon May 27, 2019 11:48 am
@
NekoDemon117

No I'm just trying to prevent people here from wrecking everything. Discord is a hostile corporate takeover and you should not go along with it, especially not as an open source project and especially not without asking anyone and especially not making it the only exclusive communication platform. I mean how often am I supposed to repeat my arguments? Are you not able to process logic reasoning?
Mitovo
by Mitovo » Mon May 27, 2019 4:07 pm
@ Duion

Wow, you are on the snide lately. :roll:
"Lately"?

:p
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Tue May 28, 2019 5:21 pm
No. Guess what? Not everyone is on the software political train. In fact most people are not. I love open source software and projects, I love supporting them and using them. I do not use them exclusively, nor have I ever done so, nor will I ever do so. I use tools to get a job done, not to make a software political statement. Nothing is being "infected" that is a ridiculously silly statement. I use visual studio. I bought torque when it was not open source. I use many proprietary pieces of software to get my tasks done, I do not care if it is open source or not.

The fact I have to "register" to use discord does not bother me at all. It is currently the most popular service, everyone uses it from gamers to developers, it has a massively wide install base, it is easy to use. Stop telling people what to use or not use, it is none of your business, if you want to use something else, as many have said nothing is stopping you from doing so. Perhaps instead of complaining here you could have spent that time and energy to setup the IRC server your championing so fervently.
Duion

by Duion » Tue May 28, 2019 5:50 pm
@ XIXWYRMEXIX

We had an IRC channel before and you can create a new IRC channel within minutes, for example Freenode offers free hosting for open source projects since like forever, which almost all open source projects also used since almost forever. An IRC channel was deliberately not created and even before deliberately not advertised anywhere, so it was not well known.

It is also not about open source or political statements it is about complete ignorance, one person just decides "We do everything on discord now, screw everything that was before" without asking anyone and if you complain you are just told "fuck off". There is actually a long list of reasons why not to use discord and "open source" and "political statements" are at the very bottom of those lists for the most part. The whole business model is abusing it's customers and scamming them and the popularity was created through dubious methods like bribing youtubers etc to advertise it. But I already made many of the arguments, I'm tried of repeating them over and over, it would be much easier if you could read the arguments to begin with and make counter arguments based on that, but attacking me personally all the time does not get us anywhere.

Here are some more reasons not do use Discord: https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

I also updated the main post to include that link as well, since it is much more detailed than the first link I posted.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 pm
Duion

by Duion » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:08 am
As an open source project, we should have an open source friendly chat platform as well, like IRC, almost any open source project is there, just not us.
Same goes with Discord, I cannot stop people from using Discord, but I was suggesting to not use Discord as the primary and exclusive way of communication, you can have it as an alternative, but do not advertise it as the main and only way and tell everyone else that does not want to use it to fuck off.

in case you missed the title of the thread its :-
Stop using Discord

Popularity is not an argument
o'rly?
almost any open source project is there, just not us.
You may think you made an argument, but you did not. My argument is not based on popularity, but based on reason and the reason is, for example if you play golf, you go to golf clubs, because that is where golf players are, you don't go to soccer clubs, just because your friend says soccer is much more popular. Discord is made for gamers and advertised to gamers and freenode IRC is made for open source developers and advertised to open source developers. Platforms dedicated to open source are almost never more popular than others, since it is a very small target group. My main argument is however that Discord is not open source friendly, but straightforward hostile towards it as well as hostile towards their own users in several other ways.

Of course most people probably do not understand basic reasoning and common sense, but I tried to make my argument clear once more for the last time, if people still don't get it, it is hopeless for them.
50 posts Page 5 of 5