Pre-Release Candidate 4.0 build

This forum is for tracking and working on active issues that need to be resolved, as well as testing Pull Requests that are waiting to be integrated into Torque 3D.
33 posts Page 1 of 4
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am
Hey guys!
With as big of chunks of development all coming together now, there's bound to be a few rough edges that need a bit of shine before we can put out a right-proper Release Candidate build.

So, I've put together a build just for that, a Pre-RC 4.0 Preview build.

Repo: https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/tree/Preview4_0
Windows precompiled: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld4_win.zip
MacOS precompiled: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld4_mac.zip

I'll have linux and mac precompileds up tomorrow.

Known issues/problems:
-Some gui profiles haven't been updated/finalized with the editor dark theme so expect some bits to not match aesthetically, Those'll be shored up this week
-Some ongoing tidbits with forward lighting with PBR materials, as per me and Az's discussion in #dev Majority of the PBR logic works, just be aware that forward/translucent materials are likely to exhibit oddness
-Updated BaseGame UI theme isn't complete, most noteably scaling of the various main menu UIs being shifted to the left. Also need to update the aesthetic of the options menu
-Secondary windows(notably Verve's editor) don't close when you click the window 'x'. To close it atm you need to click the editor menu to close it out

I plan to rapid-fire throw fixes in as they're made/suggested into the preview build so that we can easily just peel them out and PR them to the main repository later.
Feel free to throw down issues noted here, or in the discord
The #4_0-pre-rc-testing channel is the one dedicated to testing and feedback on the preview build.
For anything you feel needs a tutorial or demonstration(with all the new stuff, i 100% know there'll be cases of that, feel free to throw out a suggestion about it in the #tutorials channel as well. Got a pretty solid idea of the must-haves for these, but more ideas is always good.

And remember, it's not even a release candidate, so expect some rough spots. I want to have things largely in a shape for RC by the end of the month so we can give a few weeks to shore up any remaining problem spots and give this bad boy a mirror shine before launch :)
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Tue May 21, 2019 5:40 pm
Already taking it for a spin. Been waiting on this for a while...

As I have not commented in the work blog thread just wanted to let you know it all looks fantastic. I am very excited about this. Been playing with Torque2D up until now. Going to switch gears a bit I think.
Duion

by Duion » Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 pm
I cannot run the precompiled on Windows7 it gives me the error "D3DCOMPILER_47.dll is missing"
TheMartian
by TheMartian » Wed May 22, 2019 11:42 pm
Run the prebuilt binary, windows 10 machine, RTX2080 video, launch the 4.0 binary, click on launch GUI editor, as soon as it comes up, click file->close editor. On main screen hit launch GUI editor again, crash to desktop. Reproduce 100%.

Launch prebuilt binary, click on launch world editor, then click on file->exit level, then click on launch world editor, crashes to desktop, reproduce 100%, same problem as launching the gui editor.

I haven't loaded up the code to look just working with the binaries and ran into those two.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm
few crashes every now and again but this is probably due to it being pre rc and a few more things need to be added. So far though its looking absolutely amazing!! the graphical advantages of the pbr comes straight to the forefront im guessing the textures on here are the same as before and havent been changed much yet look way more defined and much better detail with a few select changes in the material editor
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 am
I know I should probably compile it myself but any ETA on the Linux precompiled?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sat May 25, 2019 10:58 am
Hey guys, thanks for the ongoing feedback!

Windows build 2 is up here: http://ghc-games.com/SC/Preview4_0_bld2_win.zip
Includes fixes to get the mac side playing nicely again, so can actually get the linux/mac builds up tomorrow(almost 4am here now, heh)

Several other fixes, more of Mar's assimp improvements and it now includes D3D_Compiler47.dll by default for windows version compatibility, so that should take care of the error Duion was spotting.

Still tracking on the crashes people are seeing, it's something with the combination of the PBR branch and something relatively recent in devhead butting heads, so it's been a little tricky to track down, but it's been my main focus point. Plan is to focus on that tomorrow, and then when that's cracked, asset-ify FPSGameplay stuff so we can start breaking out content into example cases for e/c stuff as well as gameplay mode implementations and the like.

I'll also keep tweaking the dark theme stuff to catch up the bits that aren't matching up.

Incidently, do you guys like the darker dark theme like the main editor currently is in, or do you like a lighter dark theme, like how the Verve editor looks?
If we can pick one or the other, i'll make the whole thing more visually consistent.

Keep up the testapalooza so we can hammer down these rough spots! :)
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm
Hey JeffR, so far I have not had any crashes, however I have noticed when I launch the program it starts in windowed mode, if I leave it in windowed mode and try to launch the world editor I can not see the bottom part that says "start level" or "return to menu" unless I make the program full screen. I played around with different settings but seems constant, at least on my machine.

OS- Win 10
CPU- Ryzen 5
GPU- RX 580

Main monitor- Ultra HD @ 3840x2160

I am loving it so far. Thank all of you who work on this for making it happen. Will keep reporting.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:43 pm
i was at a photoshoot today and now just editing photos but when i get this done i will be testing flat out :) :) terrific work guys, also on the other note i like the editor the way it is tbh, but whatever one gains the popular is the one that should be used lik i can always switch it around later on if i really feel the need to
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Sun May 26, 2019 1:28 am
Hey @ JeffR - On the topic of themes. I really like the Dark theme. :)
33 posts Page 1 of 4