Torque2D on Patreon

2D version of the Torque engine.
63 posts Page 2 of 7
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm
is there anywhere i can see the list of things you have come up with that need to be done/are working on ? I mean i think that would be the first thing that needs to be done.

The steering committee on the 3d end is constantly putting out updates on what is being added, what important ideas are coming through. I dont think ive ever seen the same thing for torque2d anywhere. More activity on the forums would be the best place to start if people knew what is planned they may take more interest and might be able to input better, at the moment it seems as though torque2d has cut itself off if you know what i mean? first and foremost an editor is definitely needed to speed up development and make things alot easier, maybe just a simple editor for positioning objects to start off with would really help things then after that is done work on implementing different features to the editor. i can code and keep things up to date on ios and windows end probably macos too but linux is something i dont know to well about what is needed in its end and ive only started to work with android so a noobie at that too
greenfire27

by greenfire27 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm
There isn't a published list, but that's mostly because it would start with "Editors" and nobody would care about anything that came after that. Having said that, there is a bunch of non-editor ideas that I hope to put into the engine at some point. I won't give you a list right here for time sake.

As far as the editors go, I've started small. I'm currently working on asset management. I appreciate the offer to jump in. Since we're about a week away from Christmas now's probably not a great time, but I be happy to touch base again in two weeks. Maybe we can get some traction.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:12 am
no problem, for the time being ill work with 3.4 and see what i can change/add see what pull requests i can add that will add certain functions and such
greenfire27

by greenfire27 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm
Hi Marauder! Have you had a chance to look at the code for t2d any?
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 pm
I know nothing about the history of torque 2d, why is there no editor? looks like the previous non MIT versions had one. What happened?
greenfire27

by greenfire27 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 pm
The MIT version came from the iOS version of the engine which was too different for the old editors to work. Also, I think there might have been some legal reason that they couldn't make the old editors open source.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 am
OK that makes sense. I am guessing it is legal reasons. If it was not there would be no reason to not release them, incompatibilities not withstanding.

I plan on using Torque2D, so looked deeper into it recently. Ha ha, it was a bit disconcerting to realize there were no editors. I did a couple tutorials, went off fine and rather quickly. I am still familiarizing myself with how things are done and how things are structured. It looks like a nice clean little engine, I am having fun with it. Making a small demo game now to learn more.

Thanks for the work put into T2D.
greenfire27

by greenfire27 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm
I'm glad to hear that you're using it. If you have questions you know where to find me.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 am
Hi Marauder! Have you had a chance to look at the code for t2d any?
I have a bit without a list of things to do im just arbitrarily adding features and upgrading features and box2d.

On the topic of features list i have a rough idea here to take t2d up from the ashes but i need to run it by you. I have been busy trying to get a level textured for t3d that i created for areloch no one has seen it yet so now that im getting the chance to work on these things im going to get more involved and get it done.

Features list ive been thinking of are as follows:
  • EDITOR first and foremost it is the most requested thing, and as for now i have been able to output positions defined within swift to torque2d modules, but this is useless for anyone not developing on mac
  • Cleanup of tilemaps looking through source code i can see that t2d 3.4 does still have the tilemap features from tgb and i think you have even done a tutorial on this on garagegames. But i cant for the life of me get it to work properly maybe some value i am missing.
  • 2d Lighting and Normal Mapping this is another thing t2d already has i think? but i cant find any documentation on it.
  • Physics a more stable implementation of liquidfun (i have already done this tbf but i cant be sure what other features i have added in my code)
greenfire27

by greenfire27 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 pm
Today I checked in code to the development branch to start the process of creating the editors. I started weeks ago (or longer I can't remember) and quickly found that the GUI situation was so bad that nobody could use it without looking up the code to see what actually works. So I've been reworking much of the GUI code to make it usable again - all documented in the GUI guide in the wiki of course. Most importantly, my checked in code paves the way for the editors. It builds the folder structure and sets up a separate asset manager and module manager for the editor as well as some place holder managers. It's a long ways off still, but I think it shows what I'm gunning for. You can see it now in the dev branch. It's not stable.

Tilemaps are a lot different than TGB. They now work using the CompositeSprite instead of a dedicated tilemap object. If you know what you're doing they can be very fast. If not, well, you should know what you're doing...

T2D does not have lighting of any kind. There's no normal mapping. There's no shader support. It uses a fixed pipeline. Consequently, this seems like a good area to grow the engine.

Liquid fun is cool. Seems like a side note to me. Not really critical to the engine.
63 posts Page 2 of 7