Stop using Discord

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
50 posts Page 2 of 5
Code_Man
by Code_Man » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am
I and many people i know dont like discord either.

To suggest a more modern alternative than irc we could use matrix, which is an open protocol with working opensource clients such as riot and others.
It has all the modern stuff you need backlogging, synchronization, filesharing, voice and video chat.
The riot client works in browsers, on android and desktop computers.
The protocol is federated and everyone can run their own server, but its not worth the effort imo so we could just use the one on matrix.org.
Matrix also supports bridging, which also has been used with discord, so people can use discord or matrix and be on the same channel.
Me and some of my friends use it extensively for gamedev talk, it satisfied all our needs so far.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:47 am
@
Code_Man

Finally a voice of reason here. I don't know matrix and I would not suggest to use anything exotic exclusively even though it is good, since it would put most people off, since people in general are lazy.

IRC however does not cost any efford to create, you just enter a room name and you are ready to go, the fact that we do not have an IRC channel is just deliberate ignorance, we had one since forever before and the server for it went down and nobody cared to create a new one and when I do it, everyone is against it, just because it was suggested by me, even though it is the most normal thing in the entire open source scene ever.
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am
So you expect everyone that uses discord to just stop using it and switch over to another application just to keep you and Richard Stallman happy? Don't come on here and tell me or anyone else what application we can and cannot use, the sense of entitlement is bloody ridiculous.

The IRC server was online for years, yet never had a large amount of users in there, funny enough a discord channel was created and hey presto it is a hive of activity.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:25 am
The IRC server was online for years, yet never had a large amount of users in there, funny enough a discord channel was created and hey presto it is a hive of activity.
Popularity is not an argument, you can just brainwash people to like something, if you have enough of money and experts on marketing, Discord is just a scam. Give away stuff for free invest into lots of marketing, get lots of people using it and then raise the prices and sell them stuff and while doing that data mine them and sell that as well.

Also the IRC channel was never really advertised anywhere, it took me some time to find out about it, but the Discord is advertised on the forum front page, nobody ever cared to do that with IRC.
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am
Popularity is not an argument, you can just brainwash people to like something, if you have enough of money and experts on marketing, Discord is just a scam. Give away stuff for free invest into lots of marketing, get lots of people using it and then raise the prices and sell them stuff and while doing that data mine them and sell that as well.

Also the IRC channel was never really advertised anywhere, it took me some time to find out about it, but the Discord is advertised on the forum front page, nobody ever cared to do that with IRC.
Well go create an IRC channel, knock ya self out. Actually talking of closed source apps, may i ask why your game is on steam? Evil closed source application, i demand you remove it now, same with the windows builds of your game from your website.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am
Well go create an IRC channel, knock ya self out. Actually talking of closed source apps, may i ask why your game is on steam? Evil closed source application, i demand you remove it now, same with the windows builds of your game from your website.
It is not exclusively on Steam, it is just an alternative for people that do not care about open source, but the game itself is fully open source compatible and works fully without Steam if you want or any other proprietary software.

Same goes with Discord, I cannot stop people from using Discord, but I was suggesting to not use Discord as the primary and exclusive way of communication, you can have it as an alternative, but do not advertise it as the main and only way and tell everyone else that does not want to use it to fuck off.

Free software is also free to be used in proprietary environments, thats what freedom is, there is no hypocrisy in this. The other way around however is the opposite of freedom, like telling people they have to use a proprietary platform and they cannot use an open source one, that is what you are doing.
Code_Man
by Code_Man » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am
So you expect everyone that uses discord to just stop using it and switch over to another application just to keep you and Richard Stallman happy? Don't come on here and tell me or anyone else what application we can and cannot use, the sense of entitlement is bloody ridiculous.

That argument can be used for discord more than matrix, matrix uses many different clients and supports inter protocol communication, i have seen matrix, irc, discord and slack all in one channel.

I used discord and in the past and i had a bad experience with it, so i ditched it and there are no alternative clients so youre stuck with it.
With matrix<->discord bridging support anyone who wants can keep using discord if they like.

Using a silly argument as "keep you and Richard Stallman happy" in a opensource game engine is like going to a denim and leather bar and complaining about the fags dancing with each other.
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm

That argument can be used for discord more than matrix, matrix uses many different clients and supports inter protocol communication, i have seen matrix, irc, discord and slack all in one channel.

I used discord and in the past and i had a bad experience with it, so i ditched it and there are no alternative clients so youre stuck with it.
With matrix<->discord bridging support anyone who wants can keep using discord if they like.

Using a silly argument as "keep you and Richard Stallman happy" in a opensource game engine is like going to a denim and leather bar and complaining about the fags dancing with each other.
You can keep your homophobic slurs to yourself. I don't care what software you use, just don't come on here telling anyone what software they can or cannot use. No one is forcing anyone to use discord, is just an option. If you want to use something else, like i said to duion, knock ya self out and create it, i'm sure the mods will place a link to it.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:56 pm
You do realise that Stallman is to open source what Westboro Baptist church is to Christianity? That he hates pretty much all open source licences that aren't the toxic GPL. The man is a religious extremist, his followers are mindless cultists, GPL is poison, pretty much most open source uses far more open and permissive licences than the GPL, its days are numbered, another decade, it and his religion will be of no consequence.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:04 pm
As an open source project, we should have an open source friendly chat platform as well, like IRC, almost any open source project is there, just not us.
Same goes with Discord, I cannot stop people from using Discord, but I was suggesting to not use Discord as the primary and exclusive way of communication, you can have it as an alternative, but do not advertise it as the main and only way and tell everyone else that does not want to use it to fuck off.

in case you missed the title of the thread its :-
Stop using Discord

Popularity is not an argument
o'rly?
almost any open source project is there, just not us.
50 posts Page 2 of 5