Torque 3D looks so good

GAN

Hi All

I am aspiring game maker. I have been playing games for awhile. I found Torque3D and I love the way it looks! But as I am trying to learn it, I notice notice a lot of out dated things. I spent a while trying to find the FPS China Something and gave up. Also, would a would be Torque3D game maker have to work closely with MS VB? Not sure if I want to get too deep into to that. I am working parallel with Copper Cube. I just like the look of Torque 3D's looks. Is there a newer tutorial in the works for this software?

Thanks!

The tutorials that you can find from the older torque 3d versions are still relevant to the current release of torque 3d to a certain extent,

For the fps china template if u go to this link http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/fps#/1-setup/2

may take a while for the page to load but it does still work. Click the download demo button and extract it to your torque3d templates folder

I have thought this is one of the templates that should be still available to download from github or released with torque releases its a great setup and shows off a lot of the capabilities of the engine. A few of the other demo levels can be found here: http://wiki.torque3d.org/main:downloads

What you mean with "MS VB" ? If you mean Microsoft, don't worry, Torque3D works with Windows and Linux, as well as there are many ways to compile it and work with it, since it is open source.

I would not bother that much with the demos, they are very old and just to show off, some assets have been open sourced, so you can use them for free, but I would rather spend some time in learning the basics and take care of the art later.

The demos are still a great place to start to learn how certain things work in torque though, not to mention some of them really hold up well with the newer versions of torque for example take a look at how burg looks in the latest release of the engine.

VigtcZj.png

Although this was made what 5 years ago? it and china town are still some of the best looking levels made with torque that have been released to the public study them and u will see what is needed to do what u want and what needs to be used to get the look u want. I just downloaded all of them and they all work perfectly without needing changes, burg needs the lightmap switched off because it was made to showcase purelight lightmapping.

That's what I am talking about!!!!!!! Marauder2k, did you make this????? This video is making me want to blow off work tomorrow and play with Torque 3D all day!!

Duion I was referring to Microsoft Visual Basic. I like it like a rock in my shoe.

Although this was made what 5 years ago? it and china town are still some of the best looking levels made with torque that have been released to the public study them and u will see what is needed to do what u want and what needs to be used to get the look u want.

Of course they are some of the best looking, since they were made through contract work by professional artists, from rumors I heard it did cost Garagegames 100 000 dollars or so, don't know if it was for Chinatown only or the other demos as well.

Chinatown is quite complex with lots of unecessary details, while gameplay wise hardly developed at all, I don't know if it is a good example to learn from. It is just a demo to look good, you cannot do much with it, since you cannot change the level much, since it is all ready made meshes and not very modular.

If you want to learn things, you better read articles about level design from somewhere else. Yes you can re-use some of the assets from the demos, but not that many and I would recommend not to do so.

So I should not bother with the ChinaTown assets? What about burg? I am having issues getting external objects in the game. I read somewhere (garagegames, I think) that all you have to do is copy an .fbx file into the /art folder and the World Editor will see it and you can import it. Not happening. Also is this a better forum than garagegames?

You can use the assets, large portions were open sourced, but through that, the demos were broken, because of lazy porting over to the latest version and the stripping of some proprietary content like PhysX in case of the Pacific demo. So expect to put some work into it. I use some Pacific assets as well, but I would not do it again, since I had to invest time porting them over and then I was left not knowing how to license those assets, since MIT license is not that good for art assets, if I had invested a bit more time, I could have made fresh assets from scratch.

Hi Guys

Actually you can find all the T3D demos here:

If you want more T3D demos you can check this link: https://github.com/Torque3D-Games-Demos you can download for example T3D_Ron_Demos and Torque3D_Terrains.

BTW I have some video tutorials if you wanna see it... is not very good quality so I apology for that, and as always you can check this list for a lot of more information https://github.com/John3/awesome-torque3d

Hi Guys

Actually you can find all the T3D demos here:

If you want more T3D demos you can check this link: https://github.com/Torque3D-Games-Demos you can download for example T3D_Ron_Demos and Torque3D_Terrains.

BTW I have some video tutorials if you wanna see it... is not very good quality so I apology for that, and as always you can check this list for a lot of more information https://github.com/John3/awesome-torque3d

Thank you! I will check this out tonight. I guess if I want to compile my T3D game, I will eventually have to succumb to Visual Studio. I have a C++ compiler I was using when I was playing around trying to learn C++ (didn't get too far) I suppose that wouldn't compile my T3D project? (Dev-C++)

At first I do not want to touch the engine! However, I do not see anything in the game that allows you to build or publish the game you're working on.

Hey GAN,

Actually you don't build the game, it's already build unless you compile from source, that you only need to do once, again, unless you modify the source.

What do you mean "publish the game"?

There are several methods you can use for publish the game. But actually is pretty easy, basically you can compress your project game folder with zip, 7zip or rar. That's it. Then you can share the game in any method that you like, the other person only need to decompress and then run the game.

At first I do not want to touch the engine! However, I do not see anything in the game that allows you to build or publish the game you're working on.

Hey GAN,

As marauder2k9 said, you can use the pre-compiled version.

Actually you don't build the game, it's already build (pre-compiled) unless you compile from source, that you only need to do once, again, unless you modify the source.

What do you mean "publish the game"?

There are several methods you can use for publish the game. But actually is pretty easy, basically you can compress your project game folder with zip, 7zip or rar. That's it. Then you can share the game in any method that you like, the other person only need to decompress and then run the game.

Publishing is pretty easy, you just use the folder of the game and that is it, of course you should remove temporary, config and and other work files first. If you publish on Steam it is pretty easy since Steam takes care of that for other platforms I don't know how it works, but the default method is probably just to pack up the folder into a zip file or so or make a self extracting installer.

You can use the precompiled version, but you should compile your own one, since I think such things as program icon and app name can only be changed if you build from source, it looks more professional, if your game has its own logo and name and is not called "Torque3D" with the Torque3D logo on it.

Hi Guys

Thanks for helping me and my noobiness. The reason I mention publish: Having a Coppercube mindset, when you ready to share you game you select publish and the format you want your game in. I usually choose the .exe route. But what Coppercube does is put everything pertaining to your level in to one exe file. Theres no configs or DLLs. Just the exe. The workflow for coppercube is incredibly simple.

Back to T3D. So for instance, I create a cool FPS. I just ZIP the original T3D folder and share that zip file?