Occulus Rift DK2 [ALSO: OpenVR]

Materials, textures, lighting, postfx
89 posts Page 4 of 9
PaulWeston
by PaulWeston » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:54 pm
OK, great, thanks!

So, just curious, how much has changed within the "game" folder to make it DX11 compliant? Because I have heavily modified many of the scripts and GUIs...

Also, do I need to use a different SDK path in my Visual Studio project, rather than the DirectX SDK June 2009 one that has been used for so long in the past T3D versions? Or is it just as simple as replacing my engine code with the DX11 engine code, and then merge in my custom engine changes, leaving the Visual Studio project pretty much the same?

Thanks again, looking forward to bringing my game up to date for DX11 and latest Oculus :)

Cheers
P
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:04 am
The hard part with the dx11 roll in is that it happened at the same time as deferred shading roll in, so there are changes completely unrelated to dx11 going on. This will all be addressed properly(documentation) once 3.9 goes "live". Unfortunately at this stage the old dx sdk is required. I do have another branch that i'm working on now that has dx9 removed and is where i'll be putting other gfx related improvements in, stuff like dx11 speed improvements, new shadow filter, new texture formats and other things along those lines. I'll post a link when it's a bit more stable and ready, most of it will be found it 4.0 though.
PaulWeston
by PaulWeston » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:53 am
Having some trouble with this build...

I have my engine code all sorted out, the openvr files are in place and all the libs and includes are set up... All the proper files are in the project, the openVR seems to compile fine but all the OculusVr folder stuff is failing.

Looks like it is set for the 0.8 SDK, but yet it has code using ovrHMD which was deprecated in 0.8 in favour of ovrSession instead, according the to Oculus site:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... r_Windows/

So, I'm confused - how were you able to compile this,using the 0.8 SDK, or did you use an earlier one? And if you did, why is the source trying to call 0.8? I'm going in circles lol :)

Thanks
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:59 am
Yeah when james was coding it all up, oculus guys decided to change the api again. Whoever is in charge of the dev sdk should be sacked. Anyway he has since turned his attention to OpenVR, will have to wait for him to comment and see if he has any plans to keep up with the oculus sdk.
PaulWeston
by PaulWeston » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:12 am
ahh yes I figured it must be something like that.

It's terrible how Oculus keeps moving the yard stick and not remaining backwards-compatible. Grr

Looks like I can get it to compile by just changing any instances of ovrHmd to ovrSession in the Torque code. It's running now.
Hebblewhite
by Hebblewhite » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:14 pm
Would you be so kind as to provide a WIP project Binary ? That would be great for testing purposes!
PaulWeston
by PaulWeston » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:26 pm
I was also wondering about some sort of pre-built sample project, for testing, mostly to have a copy of the game folder that would include any required mods to get the Oculus running... Is that possible to post somewhere?

In my older 3.7 T3D version, there were manual edits required to the scripts to enable the Rift DK1. I did those and the game runs great in my DK1. But I'm not sure if there are different script mods necessary for this new OpenVR code to work with a DK2 or a CV1 Rift?

I did manage get the engine code to compile properly last night, with the DX11 code and the Oculus 0.8 SDK + OpenVR SDK, as long as you make the required changes of "ovrHmd" to "ovrSession" in the platform/input/ovulusvr folder (if using the 0.8 SDK).

Now I just need to just merge in all my custom engine mods on top of that, which will be a pain since I am porting up from 3.7 so there are a lot of differences in the compare.

P
Hebblewhite
by Hebblewhite » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:23 pm
Sounds great Paul! Most of my work has been with variants of the old Rift Valley build but that contains a zillion graphical issues, and makes the design process very limiting. Pain free-ish access to the latest VR blend of T3D would make life much easier.
PaulWeston
by PaulWeston » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 pm
I have thought about posting my custom engine mod to GitHub for those who want it, it includes tons of goodies merged in... However it uses the advanced character kit code which I am not sure I can include or not. We also use the Awesomium integration kit which is another commercial add-on.

So, that makes it tough to share my codebase. Too bad, because it is a great engine to start off with:

- latest DX11 T3D code
- AFX 2.0 included (thanks to Azaezel for that work)
- support for Oculus DK2/CV1 using OpenVR and Oculus SDK 0.8
- Advanced character kit modifications (many additional animations)
- Awesomium integration kit (use web-based interfaces in-game)
- Climbing resource (modified to work like the Action Adventure kit)
- Object selection using the mouse
- GUIs on objects
- Paul Dana's player-mountable turrets resource
- Rift enhancements for vehicles
- Dynamic agility for players (adjust player's speed/jump height dynamically)
- Melee (hand-to-hand) combat
- Jetpack enabled with hovering function (simulates weightlessness)

It's always a pain to port the code up to a new version because of all these mods I have to merge in, but this time it's worth it to gain DX11 and latest Oculus. I am hoping to finish up this weekend and have a test-ready binary to send out to anybody with a DK2 or CV1 that can tell me if it works :)
Hebblewhite
by Hebblewhite » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:00 pm
Awesome! I'm happy to test your latest build as I have access to a DK2 (but not a Vive just yet). I also own all of the licensed content in your list with the exception of AFX which I've never had a need for!

*Edit* Have you by any chance played around with water volumes in your build ? They cause all kinds of render pain and suffering in the older Rift builds. If those issues are resolved in the latest DX11 stuff, it would save me a lot of trouble.
89 posts Page 4 of 9