ambient sequence

Materials, textures, lighting, postfx
33 posts Page 2 of 4
Duion

by Duion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:42 pm
So I'm right and you cannot have multiple sequences in one model file.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:13 pm
So I'm right and you cannot have multiple sequences in one model file.
I have been working with collada models who had one long thread with all the animations in the model file. I had to use the onload and addSequence to work with it. Other times I get dts models which have split up all the animations in many dsq files. Again it all depends on how the artist works. Who is right and wrong is not important. What is important is to know how to deal with such situations when working with the models in your project. :mrgreen:

As I wrote then Torsion has some good pop up windows that teach one the stuff fairly quickly.
Last edited by Dwarf King on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:18 pm
Who was right is all that matters, since if I was right, this whole discussion is meaningless, since I said how it is from the beginning.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:10 pm
Who was right is all that matters, since if I was right, this whole discussion is meaningless, since I said how it is from the beginning.
Good for you.... I guess... :D
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:51 pm
I think there is some slight confusion over a single word here.

A single model can contain single or multi track animations. As far as i am aware, the first track in a model is called ambient by torque, simply because as was state earlier 'ambient' can be switched on and played automatically by a tsstatic object.

All other models have more complex animation needs, speed of animation, multiple animations, all of which can be accessed in many ways.

Single track named segments, where you name parts of the track as explained by dwarfking.
Multi track, where each animation is named and separate inside the model.

Also if you are clever regarding your skeleton and animation designs you can turn each animation into a .DSQ file in a similar way to how Chris calef describes, the advantage here is that you can use all premade animations on all new character models if the root pose and rigging are the same.

So all in all there are several ways of working
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:47 pm
What BloodKnight said.

I have no particular attachment to being right here, but I would not want newcomers to leave confused, and from my understanding of what's been said here and of what goes on in the engine, you're precisely not right, @ Duion. I guess it depends on what you consider a "sequence", but from the engine side, each TSShape has an array of sequences, each with its own name. There doesn't even need to be an "ambient" sequence at all, if you don't name any of them "ambient".

It is true that each shape keeps one big list of all the transforms (really two lists, nodeRotations and nodeTranslations), and each sequence stores a starting point in these lists, and a number of frames. So if you want to call those lists "a sequence", then yes, all sequences are part of that, but that is the only way I see in which you could be considered "right". It seems more helpful to me, however, to treat individual sequences, having separate names and being stored in separate dsq files, as distinct and not as one big sequence, since the only real connection is that internally they are all kept in a big list.
Last edited by chriscalef on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duion

by Duion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:53 pm
Each model can only have one sequence which is automatically named "ambient", if you want a different sequence you have to save it in a different file, you cannot have multiple in one file.
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:45 am
Oh, sorry, now I understand the confusion! I'm talking about a live model in the engine, you're talking about the saved model file. And I didn't know that about saved models, now I gotta run check that out...
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:25 am
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 am
lol
33 posts Page 2 of 4