Campaign started to get SkyLine Pack MIT licensed!

22 posts Page 2 of 3
RichardM

by RichardM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:03 pm
It seems that there are some things that are not completely clear, so I will try to lighten it up a little.
so what happens with my money if the 500€ are not reached?
That depends on how far it went. I still might license it MIT even if the goal is not reached. For those who have or will contribute to the Fanatic or Addict perk I am looking for a way to add it to their open source projects if the outcome is far away from goal.
It's a "flexible funding" campaign, meaning you will get the any money pledged regardless of reaching the goal
Yes, but if you contribute 5 euro or more (the SkyLine Fanatic/Addict perks), you will receive the pack as if you have bought it. So if it was not flexible funding I would refund everything, meaning I gave away free packs!
Cool stuff but sorry, it's against my principles to pay/charge for open source projects. Donations are another matter tho.
For this reason there is the 1 euro perk (Supporter), or just type in any amount of money you want to donate. As said, all bits will help.
Ahh, count me out then... I would have preferred a all or nothing approach because what good will having a piece of non-freely licensed code do?
Just imagine that all AAA games or all your tools you're using will be open source :D And I am from the era that Torque3D was not MIT-licensed!
oh! I thinks you need to add more time to raise 500€.
There was not much choice for the duration of the campaign. I just took the middle.
and may be added to the Torque3D engine
I am not one of the steering committee and have therefore nothing to say what parts are added to the engine.
I have to say as a contributor to T3D, i find it very difficult to fork out money when i see how much effort others put in for free
Yes, and this is also much appreciated. Not as a reminder, but I gave away the Volumetric Fog object (added to Git by Winterleaf) and I have a free Door class. On the other side of this, I have to make a living out of game development (no it is not a hobby, it is my job) and making all these things aside my main projects do cost me time (read money)
I think this approach is a step in the right direction
Thanks for your support Duion!

I hope these answers will shed some light on my motives to act this way.
Richard
Duion

by Duion » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:26 pm
It seems that there are some things that are not completely clear, so I will try to lighten it up a little.
Ahh, count me out then... I would have preferred a all or nothing approach because what good will having a piece of non-freely licensed code do?
Just imagine that all AAA games or all your tools you're using will be open source :D And I am from the era that Torque3D was not MIT-licensed!
This is false, basically no AAA titles are made with open source tools and there is no open source toolchain to build them, all we have now is a lot of pseudo-free games and software. Torque is the first open source engine which has a handful of top titles made with it.
So don't confuse open source software (free software) with pseudo free software (unfree software)
Ron Kapaun
by Ron Kapaun » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:59 am
This is why I stopped supporting T3D. The whole "its a free engine so everything should be free" idea is STUPID. Take a look at the 'successful' open source projects out there... MOST of the best advancements were/are 'paid for' projects. Not a dig at the engine, just dig at the 'game developers'. For the last TIME.... you are NOT a game developer if you can't figure out the BASIC concepts in order to MAKE (for all of you simple people out there) / 'Slash' DEVELOP a freaking game. Asset flips, Freebies, and 'I re-published this crap' games do not count. Grow a pair, develop or DIE. Or.... Fork out a couple of bucks and PAY to make your game work. If you want free, stand in line for government cheese... by the way I pay for that with my taxes... So there, you are getting something from me and these GREAT, HONEST and TRUE DEVELOPERS already.
Online JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:50 am
I'll have to put a few bucks towards this.

I think the idea is fine with putting up projects to be funded towards being released for everyone. Good middleground for getting some investment of effort back while still benefiting everyone as a whole.
I think the only potential gnarl is figuring out reasonable pricing for the work involved, but that's just something we need to feel through as a community. I don't think anyone here is likely to try and be like "Here's a model of a soda can for $300" :P
Timmy
by Timmy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:05 am
I have to make a living out of game development (no it is not a hobby, it is my job) and making all these things aside my main projects do cost me time (read money)
Oh yes i understand that part, i was just more getting at if everyone charged for their work/time on T3D nothing would get done. Anyways best of luck with it, hope it gets released as it would be a worthwhile addition to T3D.
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:01 am
@ Ron Kapaun:
I on the other hand recognize that there are other forms of reciprocity than cash. Fact is, if there came a point where I was consistently putting more code in than I was getting out, contributing would no longer be worth my time, since the whole point is to get back code that'd I'd have to cook up long term anyway, and I'd know to walk once we've completed our latest game. At that point it simply wouldn't be a rational business decision.

@ RichardM:
That being said, nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck, though $500 seems a bit steep to complete https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/pull/708 and I'd rather throw 40 bucks at say, that wetness toolchain you were throwing vids around of a few months back if that'll be on offer in the near future.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm
This is why I stopped supporting T3D.
@ Ron Kapaun
Torque 3D MIT has nothing to do with this topic. The MIT license allows people to make and sell close source software. Some people might dislike it but all decisions will have people saying nay. That is a part of life.

@ RichardM
I actual bought this add on as I found it very useful :)
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:04 pm
Throwing http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=510 over there before the side convo detracts further from the OP.
Ron Kapaun
by Ron Kapaun » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:18 am
Uhm, ok... I sort of 'went off'. I have a DEEP set of feelings when it comes to 'paid content.' I was getting that old.... 'the engine is free so everything that uses it should be free too' vibe. OBVIOUSLY, over scrutinized the post. Sorry for that.

Also, just wanted to put out there that I kinda 'fibbed'... I STILL use T3D, and well... OBVIOUSLY track it's progress. I use it as a test bed for all my new stuff. See below..... Uhm yeah.... I am one of those 'three monitor' freaks.... Yeah, T3D can do that.

Oh and to compare... here is a picture of FarCry4.... not a major difference really.

Attachments

WP_20151230_16_35_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20151230_16_35_16_Pro.jpg (125.64 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
WP_20151230_16_41_14_Pro(1).jpg
WP_20151230_16_41_14_Pro(1).jpg (145.54 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
Ron Kapaun
by Ron Kapaun » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 am
Soooo... sorry for 'hijacking' the conversation.
22 posts Page 2 of 3