Uebergame now available on Steam

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Duion

by Duion » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:19 pm
Finally I found some time to get the steam release ready, you can download and play Uebergame now through Steam.

Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/391780

It is a free open source basic casual deathmatch shooter, based on Torque3D.

My goal is to provide a community project based on Torque3D and I chose Steam to be able to reach a wider audience.

This is my first release, so I did not really know what I had to expect. Shortly after release the game got overrun with players and issues starting to occur. I tried to test it before release as good as I could, but I had not that many testers and so missed a lot of bugs and issues. This lead to a lot of negative reviews. People had to host their own servers, since I could not get the dedicated to work yet and so it happened that a lot of them connected to bad ping servers and then complained about the performance.

I should have thought about this and taken the time to get servers running, but now I know better.
So I hope I can turn around the bad start a bit by fixing the issues and giving support and if someone here wants to help with finding and fixing the issues that would be cool.
I want to keep Torque alive, but I cannot do everything on my own, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nils

by Nils » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 am
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:53 pm
Congratulations for getting it to steam :P
Shortly after release the game got overrun with players and issues starting to occur. I tried to test it before release as good as I could, but I had not that many testers and so missed a lot of bugs and issues.
This is the problem with Multiplayer games, it ok to release but then you need to provide support and fix all the issues found... This is a bit why I have put my Boost! project on the shelf...
It suck for the bad reviews, maybe you can warn better the players about possible issues and mentionned that you are mostly alone working on it in your free time...
I want to keep Torque alive, but I cannot do everything on my own, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I don't think Torque3D have the visibility it deserve... I'd like to help but my free time is already overloaded... What kind of help to you need the most?
Duion

by Duion » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:20 pm
The biggest issue is the performance and latency problem, since new players join servers with bad ping and then complain that the game is laggy. Also crashes happen a lot and server shutdowns by the people who host them.
I wanted to have dedicated servers running, but could not get them to work, so I thought release without official servers and this was maybe the biggest mistake.
The Linux dedicated server I could not get to work at all and the windows one works, but crashes often, the only thing that runs stable for hours is when I regularly host a game.
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 pm
The Linux dedicated server I could not get to work at all and the windows one works, but crashes often, the only thing that runs stable for hours is when I regularly host a game.
Yeah I remember having some issues making dedicated server for Boost! working but I figured out something and they were working at the end. It's a long time ago and I don't remember what I did... I can have a quick look to see.
Also, does the Steam release is based on your GitHub repository master branch?
Duion

by Duion » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:51 pm
Yes, it is based on master branch for both repos, engine and game.

Edit: The linux server mainly fails, because I could not compile Linux 64 bit binary and my server is 64 bit and it gets problems because all the missing libs.
6 posts Page 1 of 1