Soldier has finally got a story - game dev progress.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:04 am
Hello everyone,

I've just released a new trailer for my game, Visitors: First Contact, currently in development.
The footage was captured in-game and features a few of the many gameplay elements currently available to the player.
I had to leave out many other features as the trailer already drags on for over four minutes.
For development I'm using a heavily modified T3D 1.2.
Enjoy! :D

Duion

by Duion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:44 am
First I was like "Oh no not another Torque asset flip with the default Soldier etc", but then the trailer was pretty amazing. Lots of features, graphics are okay, trailer is a bit long, but not too long. I noticed some default assets, but they are well integrated, hardly noticeable, except the soldier maybe, but that is probably, because I'm so used to him now.

Overall there is not much to complain, but what I would suggest to you now is that you spend more time finishing the game and don't make too many features, because you likely never get them all done, I speak from experience. Even more important now is that you work on promotion, like the website, social, media, release on Steam or whatever platform. You need to build some kind of audience before you release, I can tell you also from experience, if your web presence looks abandoned it will turn people off. I looked at your game progress before, but I thought it is one of those projects that will never get finished, so that trailer was quite a surprise.
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 am
Thanks, Duion! I know what you mean about unfinished projects. I've seen it all before. People all hyped up at the beginning only to see the project fall apart not long after.
That is why I went at it all alone. And when alone, you have to make compromises, i.e. some of the assets that I had to use.
I don't know what it is about this soldier, but it is amazingly well done. It matched my vision from the beginning. I have two other models I could've used, but I said to myself, what the heck, let this soldier have a story; don't let it go into obscurity. Besides, the soldier can only grow from here: better armor, weapons, etc.
About promoting, I know what you mean. But again, being alone, I have to do everything. The current version of the game is quite stable, but there is still some work to do. It's been a very long and rough road up until this point, and by comparison, now it's smooth sailing. Thanks again for your constructive criticism and your feedback overall.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:02 pm
Yes, the soldier is well done, but he is very specific/futuristic and does not fit all scenarios and of course he is overused, since we do not have that many default assets, but I cannot remember him being used in a real story based game, I only know 2 games that use him plus mine, which makes 3.

I also don't know what is wrong with re-using assets, but some people may call you asset flip, I had that happen to me, I made all the assets for my game myself, except the soldier and weapons, which are only re-skinned, but then people went and pointed at it and said, it is just an asset flip. However I think asset flips are not possible with Torque, they are only common with Unity engine, because you can buy asset packs and packs where they already programmed the game logic for your, so you can just take it and release it, with Torque you have to program yourself, you don't get very far without good programming skills.

Regarding compromises, that is why I said, you probably should focus your work on promotion now and stop developing so many features. What I do is set myself a schedule, like "create feature x in 1 month time limit", then I work only on that until it is finished. I made the first version of my game in 3 months, 1 month level design, 1 month programming game logic, 1 month dealing with release/promotion/testing. You should not underestimate the testing/releasing part, I did not have many competent playtesters so after my release when thousands of people played it lots of issues showed up, even though I thought it ran stable.
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:57 pm
You're absolutely right about importing assets into Torque. It's not that easy. Importing any asset into Unity or Unreal would probably take minutes. Into Torque, way more difficult especially if the bone structure is different. Good points. Thanks again.
5 posts Page 1 of 1