The ManFisher - WIP June/July 2020 (Screenshots)

32 posts Page 2 of 4
Nils
by Nils » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:57 pm
@
Duion
Thank you for your input.

You have no knowledge about the concept of this game and who the target is; therefore you're comparing sheep with goats. It's no use to compare it with what you have done and experienced. Anyways thank you for making attempts to advise.

The Gospel is free, so is this game. There is no commercial intent whatsoever. The quality of the graphics are not important, it's just my mentality to try to do my best. A spiritual game is not valued by it's looks, it has in fact little to do with the senses.

Therefore I'm not worried about what players do or don't with the settings. There's a button "defaults" to undo any changes to the default selection of quality profiles.

(edit: added @)
Last edited by Nils on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:43 am
If I may , Id say that you're level looks very nicely balanced . I'd say that if you were to experience an fps drop it would be in the wheat field , it looks very dense in the screenShot . ground cover and forests have been fps hitters for me . make sure there aren't major changes to a later version which would be incompatible with any assets . there are differences in 3.9 and 3.10 which could greatly affect porting armatures with a high number of bones (more than 60 or 70 ). It looks very nice . Congratulations and good luck . Also , thanks for sharing the experience
Duion

by Duion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 am
I also have no commercial intent, but as I said, having a price opens up several ways of marketing for you that do not exist for free games. If you have a niche game, you need to look for an alternative way to promote it, otherwise you will hardly have any players, which is what happens to most indie games.

The quality of graphics is very good, there is hardly a way to do it better with our current engine.
Nils
by Nils » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 am
Thank you @ fLUnKnhaXYU

Indeed does the wheat field look dense enough for a significant drop in fps but the area does not have many other objects; the wheat shapes are instanced via the groundCover system and the drawcalls are low. This makes it that it runs fairly smooth, often even smoother then for example a weed/grass field with a lot of different objects (plants)

The biggest drops take place in the towns where buildings are packed. Especially the amount of objects in and around the buildings result in many drawcalls. Each house has scripted doors, interiors and items spawned. Working with zones in a open world game is problematic and T3D's zones aren't well coded. It causes even drops on certain area's of the map where I am aiming for improvement.

Probably it will take more scripting and loading/unloading hiding/showing assets when they're needed.
ground cover and forests have been fps hitters for me
The default settings for hardware instancing is outdated; most will have much higher detail and therefore it will not work properly. Try to increase and see if it improves. There is a threshold for optimal performance. One can go too high or too low with it.In my case I had to go all the way up to 4000 verts.

in \game\scripts\client\prefs.cs

// Enables mesh instancing on non-skin meshes that have less that this count of verts.
$pref::TS::maxInstancingVerts = "4000";
once it's working properly you'd want to change that in \game\core\scripts\client\defaults.cs as well
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Duion makes a reasonably valid point about the graphic settings, labels for scales are useful, as well as the possibility of presets so (low, medium, high, supercomputer) with the ability to tweak individual parts after that I've found to be the best approach. I think some work needs to be done on the 'auto-detection' functions so that this could be run and default starter settings applied for the user.

As for upgrading the engine there was shift in how the engine used images internally for I think 3.9, so there's a reasonable chance that any upgrades up to 3.8 should be ok, tho I'm not sure what's benefits you get for that level of upgrade, but its an option, 3,8 to 3.10 probably gives many more benefits, but there's more extra work in there from the asset and imagery perspective. I mean I guess if you had a free day you could just build the new engine versions and see what breaks :)
fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:01 am
NIls , that you for your advise , Im not quite at the level of understang such things as hardware settings configurations and such and this will set me on the new path of knowledge and enlightenment which is CERTAIN to make me a better torque user , Thank You again .. But I do agree with that the auto detection sounds most useful and its a bit of a bummer to think that the zones and portals arent very benificial , considering all of those nice structures youve invested into your scene . I would hope that you will expand on that a little ..
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am
@
Nils
Amazing work!!
Nils
by Nils » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:45 am
Thank you all for your comments and input. It's going to be a free game with a "take it or leave it" approach. I'm going to develop it and do my best to come up with something decent. If people receive it well that's great, if nobody plays it that's fine with me as well. I'm not doing all this work for prestige, money or fame, but as calling; I have faith it will turn out just the way it supposed to be.
Nils
by Nils » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:18 am
Posted this some time ago, you see a fully function graphics panel with predefined settings (low. medium, high etc...)
Thank you for taking time advising me (multiple times) that I need to do this, but you see here it's already developed.

Certainly will need some work here to get the settings tuned, but that's for a much later state in developmen

Again, thanks for you commentary.
Nils
by Nils » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 am
Thanks @ Bishop :)
32 posts Page 2 of 4