The ManFisher - WIP June/July 2020 (Screenshots)

30 posts Page 3 of 3
Nils
by Nils » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am
Have been working on some interiors lately, here you see screenshots of a church (in development)
Please note that it's a work in progress, so the final result will look different

Click (or tap) to see their full resolution (4k)

All assets are developed by me. Shots are not edited, only converted to jpg.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am
Wow probably one of the best scenes made with Torque, looks very realistic must have taken a long time to model all the details.
Nils
by Nils » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:35 pm
Thanks Duion,

It took roughly 3 weeks for the interior & lighting, the building (there's also an outside) took about 2 weeks. The switch from 3ds max to Blender brought quite some delay as I need to watch tutorials on the way, but that's okay. Eventually all 3d modeling apps work similar, just the expensive ones do it a bit better.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:46 pm
Sounds about right, I read on other artist forums with similar quality level design, that it takes them months to build (for a scene a few times larger than yours). I usually do not spend that much time on one level or a building, cannot focus that long, one level (or series of levels) of mine is usually a month of work, where creating the assets uses up 90% of the time where building the level just takes a few days.

Is the lighting baked in Blender or how you solved that? it is hard to tell how much is realtime and how much baked.
Nils
by Nils » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:34 pm
Level design is just one of many aspects; this month also included a lot of other things like bug fixes, optimizations, adding full support for Mixamo rigs in the engine (that's not biped) and even tweaked the shaders here and there. Don't really know how much effective time I had for this. And it's not finished, characters, animations, dialogues and sounds are in the pipeline.

I don't bake lighting, have enough memory load as it is with the high res materials. Blender is solely used for 3d modeling, not for scene/map design. The main tool I use is the T3D editor, so everything is dynamic. The biggest issue was the faked bounced lighting and non-PBR rendering; as you know I'm still working with DirectX 9 but with a bag of tricks you'll get result at some point. All is fairly light as I get 60fps on average with 1080p (on my 5 year old rig) if I don't crack up the light-rays too much; that seems to be the frame-rate-killer in this setting.
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm
Looks very good. The lighting is well done. Looking forward to see more!
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:23 pm
How did you do the faked bounced lighting? Do you use dynamic lights with shadows inside? It seems you have one inside the candle holder from the ceiling. I had problems with them because they were bugged.

Baking lighting in Blender is not the big problem, the problem is more that the lightmap is attached to the material itself, so you can only use the same material for the same model in the same instance and for every other instance you are using the texture you need a new material.

One genius idea I had was to bake the lighting into the vertex colors, but this only works for organic things with lots of even polygons. I did it with my cave here: https://www.moddb.com/games/uebergame/i ... 1#imagebox Without the vertex color the cave would be all the same color shade.

For the terrain I bake the lightmap into the Terrain base texture aka I overlay it manually with Gimp and then save it back into Torque, so Torque will use the baked lightmap terrain base texture.

I also have this SSDSO or what it is called postFX lying around somewhere, it is similar to SSAO but fakes bounced lighting including colors, while SSAO just adds black to corners.
Nils
by Nils » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm
Thank you for the positive feedback @ LoLJester :)
Awesome you're still using the good old 1.2 :D
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:19 pm
You're welcome, Nils. Your art is always impressive.
Projects like yours can only make T3D look good and I appreciate that.
As with T3D 1.2. I'm of the belief that you should go with what works then upgrade later.
Keep up the good work! :)
Duion

by Duion » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 pm
Your church would probably make a good benchmark for the new rendering, to see how the lighting behaves etc, I would be interested in how it looks in Torque 4.0.
30 posts Page 3 of 3