TMF WIP / screenshots

33 posts Page 3 of 4
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:25 pm
I was almost sure you got the inspiration from the Pacific Demos as I got it from there, otherwise the idea to use decal roads with animated textures as waves would have never occurred to me. Same with using decal roads as debree layer on the beach, it looks almost identical to the Pacific Demo. But it looks like you did not use a wet sand/dry sand terrain layer, but used a decal road for a strip of wet sand, since it has reflections that do not exist on terrain. So you probably have around 5 decal roads on the beach.
Nils
by Nils » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:00 pm
@
Duion
My apologies, I do not entirely grasp your logic.

There's nothing unique about the game's graphics, art or code, and certainly do not claim to create something that is.
Yet your insinuations are simply not the truth. I cannot agree to something that is not true.

With a small modification was the texture layer support of 4 been upgraded to 8, so no multiple decal roads are needed to create this.

I'm glad you have so much knowledge about these things, so it's no longer needed to discuss matters that are not all that relevant.
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:34 pm
I'm aware that those waves use multiple texture layers, I use 3, but are you saying now, that all layers just use one decal road also the debree and the wet stripe on the beach?
Nils
by Nils » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:17 am
The tech is almost obsolete, the target group is small and the product will be free. Combined with the facts of having no funds and only 2 hands working on this, it might be good to adjust expectations to a realistic level.

Just wait & see if you're interested in this oldschool project and don't forget it's a work in progress. With all respect: Is it not a bit pointless to go into tiny details of something that is in early development (May 2019) and therefore possible subject to drastic changes?

Thank you for the comments. I'll posting more updates soon.
Nils
by Nils » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:48 am
Further to the folks who are orienting,

Torque 3d is an excellent engine, especially if you need it to be without the legal limmitations of all the other engines out there.

I can strongly recommend you to use the upgraded T3D 4.0 for your upcomming project if you're aiming for that freedom. Devoted devs are working endlessly to maintain and further develop.

TMF can't currently be ported to 4.0 because the delay will probably kill the project due to limmitations. It does not mean I'm an advocate for old tech, I'm just being realistic in what can be achieved at this point.

Good luck with what you are working on and heads up to the devoted devs on 4.0!
Duion

by Duion » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm
You are probably underestimating yourself, I looked at many indie games made with Unity, Unreal etc and they are on average visually worse than your WIP screenshots.

And I would strongly recommend to not make a free game, I speak from experience, not because I'm against free games, but with a free game you cannot make use of some of the best ways to spread your game, like having sales and giving away free keys, also some platforms aside from Steam are not designed for selling free games.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:36 am
@
Nils
looking good man. Great to see you have fun making something you like.
noemen

by noemen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:50 am
Wow, great job. It's perfect!
Nils
by Nils » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:27 pm
Thank you for the heads up! :)

Working on a demo mission now, might be able to record some gameplay soon.
Bishop
by Bishop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 am
Looks great Nils!
33 posts Page 3 of 4