TMF WIP / screenshots

30 posts Page 2 of 3
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:12 am
this looks amazing!!

How did you get objective markers to show up in the minimap like that? are they an object in the scene?
Nils
by Nils » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:23 am
How did you get objective markers to show up in the minimap like that? are they an object in the scene?
With Robert's resources, I believe, you can build a similar minimap with objective (waypoint) markers:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1647&p=12012#p12012

Yes,

In TMF I use missionmarker objects (default T3D) placed in the scene with a specific datablock, within a single simset, with custom fields for its "name", "type" etc.

With a bit of script generate waypoint (objective) markers from the missionmarker objects when the mission loads. Show or hide the waypoint markers with .setHidden(false) or (true).

Hope this makes any sense.
Duion

by Duion » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:37 pm
To me this looks like one of those survival/exploration games. There is a recent game like that called Subnautica, I liked it very much, it was a mix of survival, exploration and storyline. In case you planned something like this I think it is a pretty good concept, since there are not that many games out there like this, most survial games are just grinding for survival and nothing much to explore.

Regarding the minimap and mission markers, I don't like them, they kill the immersion and make things too easy otherwise you need them to appeal to casual players who do not care about thinking for themselves or immersion. It is a difficult topic. In Subnautica for example there were no mission markers, just a compass and if you wanted mission markers you had to set them yourself using signal buoys. So I think games do benefit from some kind of orientation systems, but having an arrow pointing at your destination all the time is far too easy.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:28 pm
Regarding the minimap and mission markers, I don't like them, they kill the immersion and make things too easy otherwise you need them to appeal to casual players who do not care about thinking for themselves or immersion. It is a difficult topic. In Subnautica for example there were no mission markers, just a compass and if you wanted mission markers you had to set them yourself using signal buoys. So I think games do benefit from some kind of orientation systems, but having an arrow pointing at your destination all the time is far too easy.
I agree with DUION, this is a difficult topic. Some people like waypoint markers and others do not. Some think they make things too easy, whilst others think it makes it too hard not to have them. Highly subjective and in my opinion it really depends on the game and what the game maker is going for. Also depends on the gameplay itself I think. A lot of factors involved in that game decision. I like how yours look and the common feel and theme of them, they compliment the look of the launcher and the rest of the player interaction areas. Nothing seems disjointed visually. I personally love it.
Nils
by Nils » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:55 pm
Thank you for your reflections on this, I truly appreciate reading your opinions.

The target group is not the average gamer; it means that a bit of "holding hands" is important for their positive experience. If one needs to search the whole map to find a certain spot then players may get frustrated or bored.

This game is not a survival, nor exploration game, but has a survival element to it as an extra dimension. All playGUI elements can be hidden/shown, even with a keybind.

The singleplayer mode, which is the main focus, contains various different objectives, submissions and conversions with AI; for a veteran gamer like yourself you could just press R (radar) and do without the minimap.
Nils
by Nils » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:06 pm
I would like to add that an objective marker does not have to mean the objective it self can be achieved easily. For example, you could have a marker for a hidden object but there's a certain radius to it. It will come to balancing / fine tuning.

Thanks again for your input :)
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:26 pm
With Robert's resources, I believe, you can build a similar minimap with objective (waypoint) markers:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1647&p=12012#p12012

Yes,

In TMF I use missionmarker objects (default T3D) placed in the scene with a specific datablock, within a single simset, with custom fields for its "name", "type" etc.

With a bit of script generate waypoint (objective) markers from the missionmarker objects when the mission loads. Show or hide the waypoint markers with .setHidden(false) or (true).

Hope this makes any sense.
That makes perfect sense!! thanks for the info ill be rolling this in to my build :D
Nils
by Nils » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:04 am

Using decal roads in various ways
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am
Ah I see you found the trick with the decal roads used in the Pacific Demo, I used it myself.
I think your implementation looks a bit too obvious, the waves go to far into the land, making it visible that they are disconnected from the real water and the waves are too symmetrical, same size, same density, same frequency.

What I did was to use 3 waves in different sizes and different frequencies, so they will form new unique patterns all the time also mine don't go that far and additionally the third wave fills the gap a bit as well.

What other effects did you use on inside the water? Also decal roads?

By the way the beach and rocks look very realistic. I'm too lazy to make that many rocks.
Nils
by Nils » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:02 pm
@
Duion
Thank you for your feedback.

Your assumptions are incorrect. I'm not aware that the Pacific demo uses decal roads for waves; I haven't seen the demo in many years. As I live 200m from the shore was I inspired by my everyday surroundings. The objects in the scene are plain & standard; just trying to do my best to let it all be acceptable enough for a possible release.

It's a work in progress, the final result may look different.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
30 posts Page 2 of 3