TMF WIP / screenshots

33 posts Page 1 of 4
Nils
by Nils » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:16 pm
Just showing work in progress, that's all!
(Click (or tap) the images for full size)

Main menu showing the temporary logo and animated background

(in-game) Forced to go prone and fx showing the health status. Waves actually moving on the shore.

PlayGUI showing messages and objectives

Sunny day on the beach

Long way up

Interior of a lighthouse

Downtown old town

Physics objects at work, it's time the lady starts actually selling the fish

Follow the decal road, reusing some old stuff

Up hill, new props are here and on the way

More with the next update.
Happy coding ! :D
Last edited by Nils on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 pm
This looks amazing. Love your world building, the terrain looks fantastic.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 pm
Is this 4.0 or with PBR? It looks a bit different to the traditional Torque look. I also remember the assets from the now probably dead "Deadly Matter".

PS: The lighthouse interior does not meet safety standards.
Nils
by Nils » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:46 am
Thank you for the cheering :)

the DeadlyMatter project has been terminated in 2016, so did the old Nils die; I do no longer stand behind the views of that old man, nor behind the ideas and philosophy of that project (DM). Due to lack of funding did it came to a halt not long after the indiegogo campaign and refunding was offered at that time.

DM ran on a heavily modified 3.5 branch. Timmy did replace the DX9 layer (even before T3D) on a experimental branch but having a this huge amount of DX9 assets was it not doable at the time to convert all just before launching a crowdfunding campaign.

This project is branched off from the latest DM working version (2016); mainly due to limitations physically and timewise. The major focus is towards an actual release rather then putting all efforts into the latest tech & industry standards. Assets are being reused, modified and newly created.

It's not the time yet to disclose the details, but I can assure you that the philisophy behind this project is totally different from what the industry holds as the norm. I do put some effort in the look&feel of the game, but this is also not the aim. Since the end-user will most probably not be a "gamer" do I not foresee any issues with that.

Old tech is not at all a problem in developing countries. Hence, I'm surrounded by hardware running on WinXP. One of the intents is to release to older hardware and systems. The current memory load is already challenging enough, switching to PBR would increase the load and the amount of drawcalls. With putting a bit of effort into art can you make DX9 look acceptable enough for a free-to-play game (knowing that most of you won't agree)

Finding a balance between gameplay, art and tech has been a thing since the beginning of the industry. Certainly I don't claim to be an expert, doing my best to achieve it, is what I can do.

This project is a work in progress, it has no fixed deadline, nor does it have any funds (yet). My appologies if I won't respond to remarks that are directly or indirectly related to this.

I am posting the updates of this in here to support the developers maintaining and futher developing T3D; it is still a useful engine. Showing a bit of activity might help with the morale.

Godwilling may I also have the time to share some resources in the near future.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am
I was just asking, because it looks more like a Unity or Unreal game at least partly.

You don't have to reveal all, I was just curious how to achieve this look, I also have my secrets on how to make things look good, but they are not that secret, since they are open source.

Visually it is probably some of the best made with Torque out there, but it already was with Deadly Matter, even modern games on modern engines are not that much better. Of course people have their confirmation bias, but you cannot do much about that.
Nils
by Nils » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:27 am
Duion, I believe I might have been confusing in my last post, my apologies. I don't have any secrets regarding assets nor code. I'll be happy to share anything. Though about the nature of this project I'm a bit reserved, that's all.

Beside the skylight shader isn't there anything very out of the ordinary. I believe that one can make a project even far more good looking with T3D 4.0, since you have far better rendering at work. It's just a huge amount of work to develop/convert/tweak all the assets.

The biggest advise I can give regarding artwork is to have it all tweaked within a certain color tone that looks natural and balanced in a default setting; then start filtering to a certain ambient using a custom made colorramp in the PostFx manager.

Edit: grammar
Last edited by Nils on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:52 am

Old tech is not at all a problem in developing countries. Hence, I'm surrounded by hardware running on WinXP. One of the intents is to release to older hardware and systems. The current memory load is already challenging enough, switching to PBR would increase the load and the amount of drawcalls. With putting a bit of effort into art can you make DX9 look acceptable enough for a free-to-play game (knowing that most of you won't agree)

Finding a balance between gameplay, art and tech has been a thing since the beginning of the industry. Certainly I don't claim to be an expert, doing my best to achieve it, is what I can do.
The market your targeting for release has a ton to do with what limitations you might have to deal with as far as end user hardware is concerned. It is one reason I started my post a couple months ago about model density for polygons. I agree with your statement about making DX9 decent enough for a free to play game. But I also think as much as fancy graphics are amazing and I love them, gameplay itself is more important. I would rather have great gameplay and immersion than super fancy graphics. Eye candy is wonderful but it is the game and how it interacts and draws in the player that will make or break a game in my opinion. I have played many game for days that had terrible graphics but was "fun", and vice verse I can not count how many games had great graphics and effects but I stopped playing after a few hours because it was boring and hollow as a game.

But DM was awesome looking and so is this. I wish I was as able, world building is probably the thing I have the least experience on. You make DX9 torque 3d worlds look basically modern. I love it! looking forward to your next show and tell.

p.s. Also I agree with DUION- That lighthouse stairway is definitely not safety approved!
Nils
by Nils » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 pm
Thank you all for commenting :)
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 pm
Nice stills. Great job so far! :)
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:55 pm
Beautiful Nils! Love the look. Those characters also look fantastic!
33 posts Page 1 of 4