Work Blog - JeffR

455 posts Page 45 of 46
Duion

by Duion » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:50 am
We have ragdolls and physics joints, someone just needs to integrate them, some people already did. The GMK kit has ragdolls, I think, I saw them live in action. There is also a resource for hitboxes attached to boneos, which can also serve as physical joints then, but with that also someone needs to integrate it.

I usually don't integrate such major features that change so much, because they usually generate a whole lot of new problems you have to solve in order to make them work with no bugs in game, which I don't have the time and the nerves for. I mean ragdolls and physics are well known to be one of the biggest sources for glitches in all kinds of games.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:57 am
I think re-inventing the wheel is such a costly, complex, and time-consuming issue given that there are free physics engines out there, both PhysX and bullet are open-sourced sufficiently to be added to the engine and for the user to work out some of the more advanced features. They are also likely to be far more robust than will ever likely be implemented in torque before a bigger community and as such dev team gets in place.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:00 pm
The engine is perfect as it is now. With the implementation of https://github.com/ConfettiFX/The-Forge this engine will be evil man.

And when The-Forge has been implemented Torque Script will rule the whole world :mrgreen:
Happenstance
by Happenstance » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 pm
Lots of fun stuff on the horizon. Will be good to finally see all of the pieces come together.

And my little blurb on Godot since I spent some time evaluating it this year: 3.0 was supposed to be the big "this challenges Unity" release but I found that not to be the case. It does a lot of things really well (its AnimationPlayer/Tree concept is something I would love to see in Torque) but the 3D side has some major gotchas that will trip up serious projects: no LOD or culling support, shaders are compiled & cached on-use resulting in hitching with each unique material, its still forward rendered so lights are fairly expensive & limited to a max amount per mesh, the cascaded shadow map implementation seems... off somehow (poor quality despite very high map resolution/filter settings), etc. etc.
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:20 am
shaders are compiled & cached on-use resulting in hitching with each unique material
In fairness, we do suffer from the same issue at present, it's just that the shadergen feature(aka prefab snippets of shadercode) combo system cuts down on duplicates a bit. (I'd say a lot, but depending on just how many unique combos you throw at something that can and does add up considering you've got the baseline, reflected, and shadow materials per result at minimum for deferred stuff)
Happenstance
by Happenstance » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:20 pm
shaders are compiled & cached on-use resulting in hitching with each unique material
In fairness, we do suffer from the same issue at present, it's just that the shadergen feature(aka prefab snippets of shadercode) combo system cuts down on duplicates a bit. (I'd say a lot, but depending on just how many unique combos you throw at something that can and does add up considering you've got the baseline, reflected, and shadow materials per result at minimum for deferred stuff)
Also true! The frame drop seemed to be more noticeable in Godot, I'm not sure if that's because of the shader complexity or the caching method being more naive than shadergen. It also lacks the ability to write compiled shaders to disk which makes things a bit worse as well.

Godot ticks a lot of boxes but it has some fundamental issues under the hood that aren't widely known but would be major hurdles for larger projects. So much development effort has been put into making it look pretty but dig down a bit and you'll run into some showstoppers. Torque has its share of those as well, of course.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:15 pm
Tangental posts shifted to a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1738
I think the discussion itself is largely good, but it's definitely choking out the intent of the workblog.
For deeper discussion or discussion of topics tangental to the workblog itself, toss it in that new thread.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:14 pm
Tangental posts shifted to a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1738
I think the discussion itself is largely good, but it's definitely choking out the intent of the workblog.
For deeper discussion or discussion of topics tangental to the workblog itself, toss it in that new thread.
I know is winter, i had 2-3-4 glasses of red win, and i would really like to see some shiny stuff :D . You know spherical harmonics stuff.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:57 am
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:54 pm
That's a new glass to you .
455 posts Page 45 of 46