Work Blog - JeffR

426 posts Page 42 of 43
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 pm
I finally remember how to use Cmake and now you want to bring back Project Manager ... :roll:

:P
Bishop
by Bishop » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am
Thanks Jeff and all devs , contributors for such a great works on this amazing engine....as mainly artist I greatly appreciate the Project Manager and similar features that facilitate the development for as who are more artistically focused one person indie devs.
......... my hopes are if it will also be easier to export the finished game something like Godot engine have...export templates for platforms....if possible.....all this could lead to more popular Torque 3d engine....but even so I noticed that more community members have been gaining weight in recent months...which is great.
Razer
by Razer » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:10 pm
Congrats on the preview 5 release, T3D is moving in the right direction.

I have few suggestions and i found some issues
The start screen should be a black screen displaying the user projects list only (no more scenes or servers).
I agree with @
Bishop
about adding some easy projects export options to the menu, without having to deal with Cmake.
Loading times seem very long for the material test scene for what it is.
There is some old dirty bloom effect on the material test scene, can we disable it ?

Finally, what is the roadmap priority about :
- New character physic driven system with capsule and ragdoll collisions
- Support modern character import like GLFT or get Blender 2.8 support
- Add a general game input system no more relying on old T3D code and system, able to map any joystick values or keys to actions
- Adopt a popular scripting languages like C# instead of Torsion nobody knows
- Entity system, and the ability to add scripts to objects
- Better projects organization with scenes management per project
- Easy system to store, read game data and organize data structures, similar to databases.
- XML integrated save/load game system
- Terrain,foliage and water enhancement with modern shaders and lighting
- Cinematic quality post effects : DOF, Aces tone mapping, cinematic bloom

Before i would start using T3D, those are mandatory roadmap items i consider.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:06 pm
I too will not use t3d until it is open source unity!

I'd like to see more export options, tho how easy this is, in reality, I don't know, personally i'd like to see UWP first, unless I'm missing some understanding there would have to be some kind of process to convert entire projects assetflow etc for different platforms is that was to be an export option rather than simply a game designed for platform x?
Bishop
by Bishop » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:04 am
This is a project export from Godot engine...it would be amazing to have something like that in the Torque engine....if possible.
The road map points that @ Razer wrote would be great.....I think he wrote very important roadmap points to greatly increase the popularity of this engine.

Screenshot from Godot engine http://godotengine.org
Last edited by Bishop on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am
I'm aware UWP is on pretty much everyones export list, even gamemaker, i'm just saying that one is the top of my list from a torque point of view.

MY 'sarcasm'' was aimed at the people who make 'demands' that the software becomes just like unity but free, on a software project that has one main developer working part-time, with others contributing edits from their own game projects.

I have no problems with wishlists for torque we all have them, but when 'demands' are made 'threats' implied, then the response level will be negative with initial responses being sarcasm :)
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:08 am
Finally, what is the roadmap priority about :
- New character physic driven system with capsule and ragdoll collisions
not a high priority
- Support modern character import like GLFT or get Blender 2.8 support
assimp does that. may or may not need a few additional tweaks. will have to check with one of the folks that already added it to the engine instead of demanding others do all the work for them.
- Add a general game input system no more relying on old T3D code and system, able to map any joystick values or keys to actions
no. we've already got joystick et al support. it's pointless to redo it from scratch.
- Adopt a popular scripting languages like C# instead of Torsion nobody knows
you're getting also-c# from lukas. drop the instead of garbage. it's not going to happen.
- Entity system, and the ability to add scripts to objects
frontend is already protoyped. and mentioned in this thread.
- Better projects organization with scenes management per project
better is a useless datapoint. scenes are in, and they trip game modes. be specific
- Easy system to store, read game data and organize data structures, similar to databases.
asset system button is Image
- XML integrated save/load game system
that's a 'you' problem. scripts already got hooks to write/read text-based files. I've even done html output.
that being said, if you actually tested the system you might note that .taml files *are* xml.
- Terrain,foliage and water enhancement with modern shaders and lighting
being worked on
- Cinematic quality post effects : DOF, Aces tone mapping, cinematic bloom
being worked on
Bishop
by Bishop » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 am
Yes...it's hard for a part-time one-main developer....but Godot engine start with only two part-time developers too.....they needed a lot of time to get to the current engine....now Godot engine have...I think three full-time developers but one of them Is a project manager....but true...many contributors....but because of the great popularity over the last two years.
Torque engine would need to somehow copy the path of the Godot engine ... otherwise it won't be very popular and popular means sponsors and more contributors.

....I just want to add .... Torque engine doesn't need much to add just to improve what it has and add to make it easier workflow to create and build/export the whole project.
Last edited by Bishop on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:18 am
Yes...it's hard for a part-time one-main developer....but Godot engine start with only two part-time developers too....free MIT engine....they needed a lot of time to get to the current engine....now Godot engine have...I think three full-time developers but one of them Is a project manager....but true...many contributors....but because of the great popularity over the last two years.
Torque engine would need to somehow copy the path of the Godot engine ... otherwise it won't be very popular and popular means sponsors and more contributors.
Popularity will come or it won't. Those of us contributing back to the engine do so because those alterations are useful to us in our projects to speed up development time and results. Period. If that attracts others, great. If not, then so be it.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:06 am
If there was an easy answer to popularity... heh

well, there is, I guess... its money, welcome to the google/facebook/twitter future where popularity is paid for by the view/click and the impatient.

If you don't like torquescript, call it javascript in your head, there's barely any difference, without dredging up old arguments there's next to no real functional difference to people writing code between almost all of the languages currently available if you are incapable of torquescript chances are you are equally impotent with any programming language, I mean, lordy... even artists can code these days :p
426 posts Page 42 of 43