Work Blog - JeffR

391 posts Page 39 of 40
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 pm
Yeah, to clarify: the specific conditions of the crash were:
In the PBR Mat Test mission, ensure the Skylight is enabled, and any other probes are disabled.
Then just load the level a few times and see if it tanks or not.

If you could give that a shot for me to try and double-check that end, I'll also test on the AMD card I've got in my second machine this end and we can see if it's card maker specific or not :)
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 am
I tested it with my on-board intel hd 530, it never crashes but does with my gtx 1660, certainly sounds like an nvidia bug.

Just some other things, the colours with this pbr build are still off (as per my screenshots the other week i sent ya). With the SSAO, that needs to be moved out of the vector light and into the ibl pass, it should only be applied to the indirect lighting, see here . The skylight is still capturing all the local objects as well
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:58 am
Ok, cool that's a good indicator then.

And yeah With this crash and the memory leak I hadn't had a chance to loop back to see where we diverged from the colors, but I can actually get an eyeball on that now.

Also a good call on shifting the SSAO, hadn't really considered that. Can take the opportunity to get the SSAO2 resource implemented so it should be higher quality in the end as well.

On the skylight capture bit, I still need to think of how i want to approach that. the issue was when we trim out stuff based on distance, we'd kill the skyboxes because they're technically really close to the camera.
Maybe it'd be sufficient to have it ignore all types except terrain, sky and clouds?
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 pm
Hey Jeff, just got done with my testing. I tested both build2 and your new build4. Tested each one 20 times. In build2 I crashed 4 times, but after looking at the console log I do not think it is the same issue as others have reported, in the logs the pbr stuff loads fine, it is after that stage that it had issues. Seems in the crashes it had to do with gui draw calls. It was also not repeatable, it seemed random. The build2 in all other instances worked fine. Build4 works perfectly on my system. 20 out of 20 times it just works, all the pbr stuff works, looks good.

The only issue I have now in build4 is the menus overlap and it is hard to see what your doing. Also unless I full screen the program I can not see the start or go back button. And that is half cut off by my taskbar. I took a screen shot, in the screen shot you can see the overlap and cut off of the description, but cant even see the start button. AMD Ryzen5- 8core, RX 580 4gb. Full AMD system. Hope this helps.

Edit- I should also mention I am on a 4k ultra hd 43" tv as my main display, running at full 4k resolution. I wanted to mention this as perhaps some of the odd cutoff stuff like the start or go back buttons only half seen might be because of that or have something to do with that.

Attachments

AssetWork - D3D11 6_13_2019 7_12_23 AM.jpg
AssetWork - D3D11 6_13_2019 7_12_23 AM.jpg (234.28 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm
Still, that ended up being ever-so-slightly maddening until we had a "No....it couldn't be that dumb, could it?" But oh, it could indeed.
Nice write up @ JeffR; and yeah, don't we all love bugs which appear to make no sense at all. I remember adding a huge code comment warning to some old stuff saying; "Do not try and rewrite this or it does not work!!!" :roll:
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 am
@
XIXWYRMEXIX

Ok, sweet good to hear build 4 sorted the crashes out

And yeah, I was working on updating the menu UI stuff when the crashapalooza hit, so that got weylaid until the crash was resolved, then I wanted to get the update out so people could confirm the crashes were fixed.

I'm looking to have build 5 up in the next day or so with most of the UI stuff resolved.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 pm
@
JeffR
I was not especially worried about the UI as it works even though its messed up on my screen. Just wanted to give a heads up, figured if I was going to test something I might as well give full feedback. Odd thing is in build2 it is fine and where it should be, in build2 only the bottom screen can not be seen unless torque is full screen and even then again my taskbar obscures half of it. It is in build4 it looks like my screen shot.

Looking forward to build5 and testing it!

P.S. @
Steve_Yorkshire
Your my Torque 3D Hero Steve! No really... thank you for all your tutorials and information over the years. A lot of people have all kinds of resources and have helped and a thank you to them but I have done all your tutorials, and read a lot of your resources, more so by far than any other member of this community. I just want to take the time out to actually thank you after more than ten years of your help. Sometimes it is nice to acknowledge a persons contributions and it is easy to forget about these things while your busy doing things, both for games and in life. You have helped me learn all kinds of things involving Torque 3D for years with your tutorials and your snippets of fun code. Thank you.
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:33 pm
@ XIXWYRMEXIX Cheers
Razer
by Razer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:16 pm
It's second semester, it's like things are always postponed, 4.0 is far from complete and having major issues sorted out.
A project i have can't wait more semesters, so i decided to start using other great open source 3D alternatives.

I wish you good luck and success.
GoldenThumbs

by GoldenThumbs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 am
It's second semester, it's like things are always postponed, 4.0 is far from complete and having major issues sorted out.
A project i have can't wait more semesters, so i decided to start using other great open source 3D alternatives.

I wish you good luck and success.
What alternatives have you been looking at/already using?
391 posts Page 39 of 40