Red 611 project (working title) WIP

33 posts Page 1 of 4
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 pm
Hello,....I'm working on a project that is inspired by a real event that took place in 1986 near Dalnegorsk and is known as Height 611 UFO incident.
...the project is at the beginning and I have the game details/story in progress yet...but
the game should be exploration walking with the possibility of some puzzles....the environment is set in earlier times so the buildings will match older times :)
......the atmosphere will be horror with several characters.
.......so i'll need to create :
  • camera interaction with objects/items (raycasting from camera)
  • text on the hud for talks with some characters
  • camera bobing when walk
    ....I will probably not do the inventory, it will not be needed for this type of game as items in
    this game will be only for examination and then some information from them.
    Thanks to Torque engine I have a basic environment ready in two days....there will be only one level ... one bigger area.
    I will definitely need some advice because my scripting options are very limited .... I used empty template for this project and the development is taking place with Torque v3.5.

Attachments

torque_project_04.jpg
screen611_03
torque_project_04.jpg (174.57 KiB) Viewed 895 times
torque_project_06.jpg
screen611_02
torque_project_06.jpg (210.9 KiB) Viewed 896 times
torque_project_07.jpg
screen611_01
torque_project_07.jpg (206 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Duion

by Duion » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm
Kind of amazing that the bad default clouds can look so good.

Regarding inventory, I tried it once and I failed, but hey you can just use this instead as a base: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1440
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:38 pm
Thanks,....yes I use basic clouds and they look surprisingly good....when it comes to inventory...I will not use it in this project .... the player will actually just look at things and I try to create a diary where the information will be stored.....so I need some tutorial about how create interactive diary....
....and something about raycasting from camera to recognize objects....that is, when a player points a cross at an interactive object...the text is displayed item name and when player use the RMB input then item will be close up on the screen like in the adventure games.
.....also I need some help with FPS controller - better movement....now capsule slips a little on the ground....not much but it is recognizable...I use the collision shape of the capsule which I created and imported from the Blender or is there a collision capsule build-in somewhere in the Torque to use for FPS?
........also some tutorial or post how implement camera bobing when player walks would be great.
Thanks for help and responses guys.
Last edited by Bishop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:47 pm
There is already code that does something similar to what you want, it is called GuiShapeName or so, it displays names of shapes, it is used for players by default. So you can probably borrow that or so.

Bobbing is a stupid idea, it can get annoying quickly, but you can easily have bobbing through animating the player. In Uebergame the paintball player has slight bobbing, since I use the full Model in first person and the eye camera is attached to the model, so the camera will follow the movement the player does, which is in my case a slight up and down bob on every step, but it is still very subtle.
LoLJester

by LoLJester » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 pm
Interesting project. Looking forward to see more.
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:09 pm
Thanks Duion, ....yes I downloaded Script.Manual.chm and Engine.Reference.chm....I just need explore them in more detail.
....yes, bobbing it must not be exaggerated....I need this for more realism because the player does not have much action in front of the eyes so move the camera adds the feeling that something is also happening and as game is in the winter condition I will add a couple of puffs like breathing and it will look better...I think.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:28 pm
As said, the camera will follow the animations of the player model, but not the direction, which will still be freelook, but thinks like bobbing you will notice.
You can also add lots of other animations that will add movement to your camera, for example if the player gets thrown to the ground and the camera follows, that is quite an impressive effect.
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 pm
Interesting project. Looking forward to see more.
Thanks....hopefully I will finish this project :)
Last edited by Bishop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bishop
by Bishop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 pm
As said, the camera will follow the animations of the player model, but not the direction, which will still be freelook, but thinks like bobbing you will notice.
You can also add lots of other animations that will add movement to your camera, for example if the player gets thrown to the ground and the camera follows, that is quite an impressive effect.
A week ago I tried camera bobbing in Godot engine....the first solution I made by script from the tutorial for Unity engine and works good....the second one was just animation of camera transformation.....surely I have to dive more into the Torque engine workflow.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 pm
Sure you can make it complicated and invent scripts or try to animate the camera in hope it matches the real bobbing that occurs while walking, or you could just use the real bobbing of the player character that happens anyway, but this only works if you use the third person model in first person as well or at least enough of it, that you include the eye node and the bones of the head and spine, that the camera will be parent of and inherent all the animations.

PS: You can try out my bobbing in Uebergame paintball mode, I have slight bobbing while walking in the camera and the weapon and stronger bobbing while sprinting and a slight breathing idle animation, so no matter what you do, the player is always moving slightly, which will reflect in the first person view.

PPS: I also have camera shake on impact, when you jump down somewhere or when you run against a wall or especially if a bullet or explosion hits you, that adds further feedback for the player.
33 posts Page 1 of 4