We Must Get Gold Dev stuff and things

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Zweshi

by Zweshi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:33 pm
So first up, wow its been a while, how we all doing? :D, secondly i think its time to finally make a post here on the forums about my up coming game called: We Must Get Gold, made with Torque of course! Some basic stuff, the game uses a locked camera perspective with smooth camera tile snapping(along with WASD input) as navigation coupled with a click to interact style hex grid. Game genre is a mix between a building game, resource management, a bit of chose your own adventure(event driven story telling) and turn-based strategy.

Game play flow:
Each turn the player can choose to take actions on each tile the different types having different options to choose from. Each action taking X amount of turns and requiring Y amount of workers for the duration. When done you click the next turn button and the screen fades to black and all metrics such as gold, tile increments etc are calculated. Once the screen fades back in you are most likely greeted by either a story driven event and/or a randomly chosen event where you chose between different options with different results.
If you are unable to produce gold for 4 consecutive turns due to broken miners, generators etc you fail the game and gets tossed to the main menu. The goal being to stay afloat until the 400 turns are up, if you do get to turn 400 you get a number of different endings depending on your performance and your story line choices along the way, some good, some bad.

Some stats, stuff and details about the game:

Development started: November, 2017
Expected completion date: End of February/early march, 2018
Source code changes: Minimal, mostly written in Torquescript
SP/MP? Only Single-player
Major game systems: Tech research, Traits, Missions, Construction system, Send/receive power, Housing system, Worker tracking, Random events and Story driven events
Art style: Cartoony with a slight mix of de-saturated grittiness to it
Story: Branching with ~12 different endings set in the far flung future

Complete software list: Torque 3.9, Torsion(IDE, TorqueScript), Notepad++(Source code), Visual studio(compiler), Blender(3D), Gimp(2D), Audacity(Sound)
___

I'll do my best to drop in to this thread again with more development type stuff but i am notoriously bad at keeping active at that forum lyfe so if it looks interesting and you want to see more development stuff on a regular basis my twitter might be a safer bet, @ Zweshi on twitter.

And now, for the thing we all care about, the sweet sweet screenshots :D

The start game screen
Miner building stats
Power send mode active(hover mouse over tiles while show a blue or red spinning indicator depending if you can or cannot send power to the tile)
Technology research window
Traits/training purchasing window
Missions window that probably needs a bit of a face lift still
Prospect for gold, one of the many actions in game
Part of the map
Also part of the map

If you have any questions and/or a series of hilarious potato memes i would love to hear em!
Cheers
Jonas
Johxz
by Johxz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 pm
Wow Jonas good to see you here :) keep the good work

can you made a profile of your game in indiedb.com?
Last edited by Johxz on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 am
Good to see you back. Sounds like an interesting concept too. Did Enduring Life get scrapped?
Zweshi

by Zweshi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 am
Wow Jonas good to see you here :) keep the good work

can you made a profile of your game in indiedb.com?
Thanks! :), ah Indiedb had totally forgot about that, have it bookmarked now so will definitely make a profile for the game as soon as the media side of things gets rolling. Cheers for reminding me!
Good to see you back. Sounds like an interesting concept too. Did Enduring Life get scrapped?
Thank you! Yea unfortunately as so many projects do Enduring Life ran out in the sand there at the end
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 am

Thank you! Yea unfortunately as so many projects do Enduring Life ran out in the sand there at the end
I hear you. WMGG looks doable and you seem to be pretty far along. I'm going to complete my current project even if my sanity is compromised, heh.

I have to say this. As much as I love green, there will be some color? Or is it contrived to make items pop out? I actual shouldn't talk because I need more color in my project. Heh.
Zweshi

by Zweshi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:53 pm

I hear you. WMGG looks doable and you seem to be pretty far along. I'm going to complete my current project even if my sanity is compromised, heh.

I have to say this. As much as I love green, there will be some color? Or is it contrived to make items pop out? I actual shouldn't talk because I need more color in my project. Heh.
Definitely, ha! i recognize the compromised sanity your experience, think i left my sanity behind a few weeks ago now, but its all good :D.

Yea it is contrived to be a bit "monotone" in the green color spectrum, although it is a good point that there is a lot of it, that's for sure.
6 posts Page 1 of 1