Gibby's Garage #1: Anatomy of a gametype Vol.3

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Gibby
by Gibby » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm
Greets All...

I've been making quite a bit of progress on getting this vehicle resource finished. As it turns out, one of the biggest hurdles in getting Torque vehicles to work has always been a lack of test models. I'm including the test models I'm using as part of the resource, and where permissible will include the max files with my rigging. Here's the first set of shapes that are IP-clear that will be included:

Models

The jet, hover, patrol boat and buoy are all rigged, have lights, emitters, weapon mounts, debris shapes, some basic animations and team skins. The sub and carrier work but I'm re-rigging the sub to have a trio of VLS guided missile tubes as well as torpedos and the carrier is being redone with the deck as a walkable shape as well as mount/launch nodes for air/water/hovercraft. I'm hoping to get the chopper animated and skinned over the weekend. Most of the vehicles double as personnel carriers and have Primary/Secondary/Tertiary/Quarternary firing modes each of which can trigger any number of weapons. Thus, the 'stereo' barrels work, etc... If there's a real modeller out there who wants to take pity on me and re-skin/redo the models that would be great. For now, there's working examples of just about every vehicle type to get you going. In addition to vehicles, I have a handful of new structures, and have animated the station elevators and deathball turrets. I have a working parachute for when you get shot down, but don't have a model I'm happy with yet. For fun, I imported Andy Wright's ice texture into Medusa and created the icebergs to add to the navigational challenges.

AI

I have most of my Sentience AI ported over to T3D 3.6.3. With one exception (WheeledFlyingVehicles) the source code is all working now and the scripts are about 75% done. Flying/Space/WingedBeast AI is working but I'm still dealing with an issue with conventional paths that's been there since 1.1 - I've been unable to fix it so I may leave it as is for the community to help with. I had Surface/Aquatic/Mecha AI working as recent as T3D 3.0 as well, but I based it on Buckmaster's original Recast resource and thus it needs to be re-done using Walkabout. Once I get the flyers as far as I can I'll clean up the land/sea scripts as well.

Other Bits

I hope to soon post shots of a 'space opera' level to demo space vehicles, boarding torpedos and jetpacks with. These are all working just need cleanup and some additional model rigging...

I addition, I've been trying to get the old WheeledFlyingVehicle resource to work as a flyingSupportVehicle. I have the source code compiling but have a ways to go to get a model/datablock combo I'm happy with. In the meantime here's 'Personal Use Only Render' of a couple of the test models I'm using. I don't have clearance to release them with the resource but it gives you an idea how cool it will look when done:

The carrier and C130 both work as pathed StaticShape bases from which players deploy. The plane doubles as a bomber as well. I'm trying to set them up so the Hercules will take off from the moving carrier. I have most of the issues solved, just getting the control scheme and launch scripts to work are left.Submarines are in the same state: I also have a working submarine that will fire torpedos and ICBMs, but lack a networkable control schema. Again, once I have the flyers done I'll move onto surface/water craft.
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:58 pm
Cool stuff, video would be nice to see. :)
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 am
As always a real pleasure to read Gibby's blogs and resources :D
Gibby
by Gibby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 am
As always a real pleasure to read Gibby's blogs and resources :D
Thanks! Can't wait to share this with you all...
4 posts Page 1 of 1