Unreal Engine 4, Unity 5.. Torque 6?

71 posts Page 2 of 8
buckmaster
DEVGRU
by buckmaster » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 am
and the Author/License Question would be out of the way as well.
What do you mean by that? GG owns T2D the same way it owns T3D...
kynora
by kynora » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:33 am
Torque3D is good enough, just not yet port to mobile platform. We can use plan 3d to make 2D game in Torque3D too and the editor also good, I love script and network of Torque3D.
Last edited by kynora on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hutch
by Hutch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:11 am
I use torque because of Torquescript and mit license.
J0linar
by J0linar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 am
and the Author/License Question would be out of the way as well.
What do you mean by that? GG owns T2D the same way it owns T3D...

What i mean is that new features in source code would have the authors name under it in a project like T6, excuse me its early 5am here and
at the end it doesnt really matter.

Andrew will probably go his way and the SC will continue with T3D but if we are honest with the plans for the 4.0 release of T3D...
It wont be Torque3D anymore, the changes are big enough to ask the question how sane it is.
Dont get me wrong am myself a hard road guy, just curious.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 pm
@
buckmaster
: GraphicsSynth made the logo. When he made that post about the potential new logo for T3D I hit him up to make me a logo since he's clearly got mad logo skillz.

@
J0linar
: I think before conversations like that can be had with any kind of seriousness I have to actually build a usable engine haha. I agree with your sentiment though.

@
Hutch
: Check and check.
8bitprodigy
by 8bitprodigy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:20 pm
That's an interesting way of doing things. I wonder though, and I'm not criticizing, just curious, why reimplement the renderer when you could use one that people are already familiar with, like Ogre3D, which I read recently is getting its own PBS system?
J0linar
by J0linar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:14 pm
Well either way, personaly i will stick with T3D, i like the way it runs and i like
torque script and in greed, the basterd child of t3d we aim to have all usefull stuff integrated, such as gmk/guidebot/arcane fx (as soon as faust throws it on git :P ) and some other things.

But back to the topic itself, Torque6 could use a level editor to begin with, how about https://github.com/SonyWWS/LevelEditor License: Apache 2.0
and regarding the gui system - http://librocket.com/ License: MIT

Now lookin at it from this angle
Renderer: BGFX
Editor: SonyWWS LevelEditor
GUI: Librocket

with that T6 would be set for the future.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:11 pm
@ 8bitprodigy : Ogre is a bit too heavy for my liking. Also, a large part of the reason I'm doing this is for education. I've wrote a lot of pieces of engines, but this is a chance to try my hand at almost every aspect. I just needed a thin abstraction to go over DX9/DX11/OpenGL/etc and BGFX fits the bill perfectly.

@ J0linar : Don't need a GUI library, it still has Torque2D's GUI system (see the console example) and it has my SysGUI system on top of it, which covers up Imgui for making simple GUIs:

Additionally I already have NanoVG integrated behind the scenes running Torque2D's GUI, making it really easy to extend with new GUI controls for vector graphics, splines, etc. Basically, there's lot of GUI systems in there for every different usage you can think of. We're good on GUIs.

The level editor I'm not sure on. First glance? Looks awesome. I'll clone it and dig into it tonight and see what I think of it. I already started on a basic level editor that I'll show off a bit later, but it's not even close to that project. I don't like the platform limitations of that editor, it seems pretty focused around windows+dx11. Not to mention it has its own renderer so what you see in there might not be what you get in Torque 6.

@Everyone : For the record, I'm not trying to convert you guys. You don't have to give me excuses why you want to stay with Torque3D. As stated, even if you wanted to, you couldn't jump ship right now as Torque 6 is basically unusable for games. I made the post to make people aware of the project and to give myself a place to post about it as I make developments. Also, given all the engine announcements it seemed like a good time.
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:36 pm
@ andrewmac would it be feasible to encapsulate and port over Torque3D editor features? Like TerrainEditor and such, or is it easier to create them from scratch? /Curiousity :P
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:47 pm
@
LukasPJ
: Well, the Torque GUI that the editor tools use is still working (might be a few bugs here and there) so porting the GUI portion of it wouldn't be difficult, however, all the editor functions are built to utilize T3D classes that don't exist in T6. This would mean either changing all the tools to use new classes, or building the new classes to match the API of the old ones. I think we'd get much better results with a fresh toolset. Especially one that's built to be easily expanded.

For instance, I've already spoke of keeping the skybox in a separate DLL, imagine terrain being in a separate DLL as well but also packaging the terrain editing tools in that same DLL. If the editor is built as a generic interface that plugins can expand then your terrain DLL could come packaged with all the tools to edit it. This would give plugin makers the ability to package in custom editors with the DLL's so things like Recast could be dropped in and have them show up in your editor. Of course, there are plenty of problems with that system, but we'll see how it comes out.
71 posts Page 2 of 8