Work Blog - JeffR

328 posts Page 33 of 33
Online Razer
by Razer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 pm
the original schedule was to have 4 major releases of the engine per year, we have not had a release in almost 2 years now, just saying.
Let's have smaller but more updates per year once 4.0 is released.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:57 pm
@ Razer Yep, definitely the plan with faster, smaller(or, more targeted/specific) updates. For the toon shader, nothing for that right this second, but it'd be a really good example case for the custom shader feature stuff, so once all this PBR business is sorted, it's something possibly worth giving a gander.

@ Chelaru Yeah, the whole GI/ambient lighting thing came up over the weekend due to a particularly complex level setup @ Timmy spotted that we were eyeballing. You'd either need a good GI solution, a million pointlights(which sucks for performance and the mapper) or some means of cheating in the short term by directly controling/adjusting the ambient lighting in a local area. There's a bunch of possible approaches to it, but it did remind me that i'll be looping back around to GI in the future to try and resolve that sort of tricky situation once and for all :)

Also, it stemmed out of talking with @ suncaller in the discord, but opted to make a quick functional mockup of a more modern editor layout to start a discussion on that. It only half-works and would definitely need more work done before it's usable, but for a quick afternoon's work to mock it up, I think it shows a lot of promise:

Like it? Hate it? Feedback on it, or other stuff you'd like to see with updates to the editor suite would be useful for figuring out this sort of thing going forward.

The idea of it was
a) always having the asset browser in an easy-to-access place instead of constantly needing to show/hide it as a separate window
b) Locking in the scene tree and object inspector to the right side so they're not constantly floating around and in the way, especially with resizing of the window. I know I personally dislike needing to move it back out of the way every time I load the editor up
c) Shift the tool pallet and tool actions to the more spacious right sidebar. Similar to how blender has it set up, where tool properties and actions go over there, it'd make everything much easier to see, find and even realize that the actions are there, as well as be able to better show what each tool is by having them in a more proper list with names, etc. When we were talking about it, we were figuring that we'd have several tabs in the right sidebar for organization and whatnot.

As a side point(d?), the main view is shown as a tab. Thinking being that opening any of the 'separated' editors, like the shape editor, would just add another tab to the main view, so as to help keep things easier to toggle back and forth without losing what you were looking at before. We'd talked about having several of the editors with a more "quarantine" mode, like the material editor, so you could get a dedicated mini-scene to see how the material reacts to different lighting conditions or the like without having it screw with your scene or the like. That'd be another case where they'd get tabs in the main.

Not sure this would make it into 4.0 as the main configuration, but if i doesn't I'll likely toss it in as-is as a sort of beta/trial feature for people to give feedback on, toggle-able like is in the video.
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm
I like this modern editor layout so far. Give me a dark theme tho. :D
Online Razer
  by Razer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 pm
Yes, give us a dark theme :mrgreen:
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:03 pm
@
HeadClot
@
Razer

Haha, that was actually part of what spurred this, was me talking with @
suncaller
in the discord, and the dark theme and other wanted changes coming up. So I was like "well, i could rig up a functional mockup pretty fast" and away it went.

Pretty sure the sun wanted to take a shot theming the 'modern layout' with the dark theme and whatnot, see how it rolls, so we'll see but I agree, I do want me some dark theme for 4.0
Online Razer
by Razer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 am
Will Torque script be enough to control the new entities system and physics to create a game in Torque 4.0 ?
Online Razer
by Razer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am
Will Torque script be enough to to create a game in Torque 4.0 with the new entities system ?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:03 pm
Some of the videos I've got in here, like with the third person player, for example, uses the basic components for rendering and physics, but the actual gameplay logic, controls, camera behavior, etc is all done in script.

So yeah, while not hyper performant(because it's script, of course) you should be able to do a vast majority or all gameplay code in script.

I approached it with the intent of allowing you to do whatever you want/need in script(within reason) for prototyping purposes, and then porting that up into the engine code for performance as needed.
328 posts Page 33 of 33