J.A.C.K. level editor

bsisko

Does anyone here on this board use the J.A.C.K level editor to create their levels in?

Two main problems I want to resolve are:

Textures : Though I have tried to extract textures from a .pak file, I have not succeeded. I find it almost impossible to extract textures.

Add-Ons: is it possible to write add-ons for the program? I want to develop an add-on that will either convert the .map file to the .dif file, or use the .maptodif tool that comes with Torque.

Just use Blender for level design, Torque is a modern engine and will not profit from using old outdated level editors that are not supported by the engine.

Torque had its own level editor called Torque constructor, at some point it was released for free, since the Torque internal level format called "dif" or so was deprecated and removed at some point.

PS: I don't know what game you want to rip the textures from, but the last time I tried to access .pak files, I just had to rename .pak to .zip and I could browse the files normally, so it seems to be just a zipped archive, newer games may have changed that.

PPS: Forget it, those textures may be illegal to use anyway, if they are in such a protected file.

Ah Duion, you miss the point entirely.

That is why I am using J.A.CK. is so I can use the .dif format. I am trying to make levels for the TGE 1.4 engine, not T3D. Secondly, I am not trying to use copyrighted textures, but my own textures in a zipped files.

Oh, yeah I knew about Constructor (and Quark, and Deled, and Radiant in all its forms (Dark, GTK)).

Thirdly, if Blender could export to either .map files or .dif files I would use that as an level designer.

Oh ok, I did not see that this was posted in TGE forum, usually nobody posts there.

But I still wonder why you try such a complicated thing. I managed to import .map files into blender, so I guess you should be able to export them as well.

I tried that all as well, but then realized, that the whole toolchain is too outdated and unsupported, so I decided to throw it all over board.

There is one thing left you could try and that is trenchbroom http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/

It is long ago when I did this, so I do not remember anymore what I did, I only know that I used a separate program to export into a format blender could then import.

You probably already have a bunch of level editors installed, just look into each of them what they can import and export until you find something that fits your toolchain. Then there is also "crafty" halflife tools you can try, which can also import export some halflife engine related formats. http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=45