Open Community  ·  1 fan

Übergame

Goals of uebergame?

Code_Man

I was wondering but couldnt find a list of what uebergame aims to have in long or medium term.

My primary question is if it aims to be a realistic shooter and if so to how much of a degree?

I have a couple of things i would find nice, i was wondering if they are planned and if so worked on.

For one i want to be able to pick up killed players weapons and swap them for the one i have equiped, or at the least if they have the same weapon steal their ammo.

Also the weapons are not a 100% accurate, in real life however most weapons are highly accurate, but the aim is not and will get disrubted when firing.

And how about having mannable mounted guns and other stationary or even deployable weaponry?

Plus i wonder about the map themes, is it by design only outdoor maps or would you(duion) consider having all or mostly indoor themed maps like say inside a bunker?

Another thing, i was wondering if objective based gameplay like in wolfenstein enemy territory could be a thing, i realize its a lot of work to do the assets and maps, but speaking hypothetically.

In case you dont know, one team tries to blow up a series of objectives while the other team tries to stall them long enough.

Or any other game modes for that matter.

Will vehicles be thing too some day maybe?

Well there is no specific goal, it can be anything, I designed it to be a framework, where you can build all kinds of gameplay modes or map themes into.

Anything goes, if you program a feature, build a map or so, just make a pull request on github or contact me directly, then I will see, if I can build it in.

I had similar features than you suggested already in mind, some are even partly finished, the problem is just, that I cannot integrate partly working features, since it would break the gameplay. It is still a long way from a prototype to a bugfree working version that can be used in the final game. I got like 6 unfinished maps, two of them are indoors only, but I was too lazy to fill it all up with deecoration objects and proper textures. Realistic players and weapons are also planned, but are not finished for obvious reasons, since it would require lots of models and animations.

So if you want to help with something just go ahead, don't worry about assets, levels etc, thats easy for me to do I mostly get stuck with programming.

• 1 month later...

Well thats good to hear.

Im afraid however my t3d programming knowledge at this point is minimal, however im picking up the pace.

For a good while now i have been collecting high quality public domain assets and try to convert them to t3d(among other engines).

I came up with the idea to make maps for uebergame using those, however i have quite a ton of them and im afraid uebergame when shipped with those might grow real fat.

What is your opinion on this?

I am a little concerned where you draw the line about uebergame getting too big.

I will also work on a objective based gameplay for uebergame and some other smaller things that might be interesting.

Ultimately those things i use for my own purposes, but since i have a long way to go with my projects yet i thought it might be a good idea to include them in uebergame for now.

I think its good if we pull at the same rope for the time being and enriching uebergame with features as i go along since i think the idea behind this.

I will keep you updated if i make anything decent and you can include it or not.

I did collect free assets from the internet in the beginning as well, but this has some major downsides, first, you get inconsistend quality, second not everything uploaded as free is really free, so you trip into potential landmines there and third you hardly ever get enough fitting material.

This is why I started making almost everything myself, so the best option is to use the assets that already ship with Uebergame and if you need some custom models for your level, just stick it into the level folder.

I got the assets from legit sources as CC0 and high quality, most even made for t3d.

Some slight visual adjustments might be useful but not really needed.

My intent was to collect them for myself, but considering i had to scavange them from all i thought it might not be a bad idea to put them up so others dont need to put up with this.

So i thought it might be not a bad idea to make some new maps with those assets for uebergame so on one side you can see them in action but also people can use them for themselfs.

I think I downloaded almost everything that exists as CC0 licensed assets from the internet, there is not that much useful stuff, most useful things I have are textures and some prop models.

If you refer to Ron Kapauns asset packs, I would not use them, since I discovered that he used textures from various sources on the internet that are not open source compatible.

If you refer to Ron Kapauns asset packs, I would not use them, since I discovered that he used textures from various sources on the internet that are not open source compatible.

Wow really?

If thats true then that sucks, luckly i kept track of who made what(atleast the best i could), i leave them out for now in that case.

I also go a lot of nobiax stuff, i hope that is legit atleast.

Either way i will try to make some stuff and see where it takes me, let you know how it goes.

I have high ambitions as level designer, i will need outdoor and indoor assets and lots of them at some point.

My plan is to make some maps with different themes and whatever gimicks i think might make things more interesting.

More variations in levels might be a nice selling point for uebergame, it would also serve as a good point for t3d level to get assets needed for themselfs.

As for weapons im not exactly a good modeler, but im certain i can make up a few decent looking guns in time.

I will also try to see if can find and/or if needed make military props and vehicles.

For characters, this is going to be a little tricky, dont count on me making any decent player models.

Last but not least speaking of code im pretty much a beginner, but i will try to make a few game modes and such for starters.

The lack of up to date documentation and sparse amount of code in vanilla t3d makes it difficult to get a foothold of torquescript but that doesnt scare me off.

T3d is a great engine and uebergame makes a good complement to the rather minimal stock t3d release.

Ubergame is not a bad game (atleast for foss), but its pretty barebones, what it lacks imo is more gamemodes and smaller features.

Which is a little bit of a shame considering how t3d is probably by far the best foss engine out there and its modding capablities, while not so easy as in some foss engines from other genres, are by far the best i have seen in a fps engine so far.

I have like 13 unique levels now and 4 are in the making, each level also has like multiple variations, so I don't think levels is what is missing.

I have 8 gamemodes, DM, TDM, MfD and RtF and all again for paintball. So number of levels and gamemodes are totally sufficient for a full game, but number of player charaters and weapons are not.

You can pretty much forget using free models from the internet for development, 99% of them are not gameready and require at least some modifications, even textures in most cases need modifications.

So I would not bother with learning art, I'm already expert on that I can make almost anything now pretty quick.

Better learn some scripting and do some game mechanics, this will get you further, you can also try out the template game mode someone made, it is objective based and single player compatible: https://github.com/Duion/Uebergame/blob/development/scripts/server/gameTypes/TEMPLATEGame.cs

Right.

My current short term priority is "realistic" weapons handling, deployable and fixed heavy weapons emplacements and some light vehicles.

In terms of game mechanics i want to come up with a gamemode that is a little more strategic first and then i see what ideas i come up with as i go along.

If you say assets and maps are sufficent i take your word for it, i can always make those later on if need be.