Pre-Release Candidate 4.0 build

This forum is for tracking and working on active issues that need to be resolved, as well as testing Pull Requests that are waiting to be integrated into Torque 3D.
57 posts Page 4 of 6
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 pm
Been about a month, just wondering about any possible progress...

Also a question- Can you point me to any discussion and/or possible docs on the new "modules" and how they fit in and work? Also any docs on how or discussions on the actual editors and how they are implemented in the Torque IDE? I know I can go find it and figure it out if I have to, just curious if there are any written or discussed docs anywhere before I go do that.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:45 pm
Been about a month, just wondering about any possible progress...

Also a question- Can you point me to any discussion and/or possible docs on the new "modules" and how they fit in and work? Also any docs on how or discussions on the actual editors and how they are implemented in the Torque IDE? I know I can go find it and figure it out if I have to, just curious if there are any written or discussed docs anywhere before I go do that.
Sorry, yeah, July was a weird month. But progress has been happening, will have a full update in the next day or two here.

For the documentation stuff, I finally puzzled out how RtD requires it's stuff to be formatted, so I can finally start updating the documentation there, and the first page I've started working on is the overview of the modules/assets stuff.

For the IDE integration, Torsion, for example utilizes the telnet hook-in for doing live debugging. But I don't believe there's much in the way of documentation for it. Definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to have at least an overview page on though.
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:11 am
Awesome Jeff, I was just curious. Looking forward to the next update when your able to do so. I completely understand about weird times lol.

That's great I will wait for you to finish the documentation on that. I am curious about the module implementation, you have glossed over it in various updates but a nice actual write up would be fantastic.

OK, I will look into Torsion. I did not think there would be too much documentation on it I was just hoping. I will start with going over the source (both engine and Torsion) and reading the code comments and just hope people have been commenting on their code well enough to follow what is going on.

Thanks a bunch Jeff!
XIXWYRMEXIX
by XIXWYRMEXIX » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:15 pm
Been almost 2 months since the last inquiry, curious where everything is at now.
Razer
by Razer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:34 pm
Jeff , can we have some news about the 4.0 release ?
It was almost here but not usable at least for me, i would expect some new releases with bug fixes.

About Torque 4, perhaps the goal is not the good one.
Why a very small team should try to compete with triple A engines delivering big each semester ? It is not crazy ?
What about focusing on the indie market and indie graphics ?
Most indie games uses simple or alternative graphic styles, not very realistic, they don't use terrain or ocean systems.
Instead they need to be able ot customize graphics and ligthing with shaders and they create their own graphic styles.
This could result in making a small new version of Torque 3D without the water and system terrain, that could be fully based on entity system, fully shader customizable and supporting a very popular language like C# and make it grow adding new things step by step ?

Perhaps Torque 4 need to shift goals from trying to grow as big realistic 3D engine, to small but very usable and customizable engine.
Torque never really took off, because the direction and goals was not the good ones perhaps or the task was (or is) too big.
Perhaps it's time to change goals and vision for Torque 3D (outside of the engine technical changes).

I hope all is well for you Jeff, don't give up on Torque 4, it is almost here :)
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:52 pm
Long story short: Head down beating up on the new module system and porting old projects procedures with a side of bughunting.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:51 pm
Why a very small team should try to compete with triple A engines delivering big each semester ? It is not crazy ?
Firstly I've been away a little while, so I'll admit I skipped a post here an there, is there a link where the explicit goal was to compete with Triple-A engines* (see footnote).
Well, when you consider everything that people ask for, which can in the majority of cases be distilled down to, one of several categories

1) game-engine x has a feature y, why doesn't torque.
2) I want the best game engine money can buy... for free, also... open source
3) I want feature z, totally not because ive seen it in some cutting edge tech preview or something

As for updates, while I'd like to see more mini-updates with some writeup on progress every few weeks or once a month say, i'm pretty sure the breadth of stuff being worked on may well make that an ugly and long task anyway. I'd recommend that in the absence of such, hanging around discord or just watching the specific branch may well reveal more detailed information. (been lots of updates/merges today, for example, havent looked at them in detail yet but this is 5 weeks? ish after the last such update.

* as a side note since AAA means almost nothing any more can we just dispense with the pretence that it actually exists, you either have infinite money or you don't, some indies have infinite money, some don't, so even that distinction is gone. On top of that the so-called AAA(Developers/Publishers/Engines) pump out some utter garbage, so quality is also not a distinction, seems to me AAA is a made-up term used to malign others in some way these days, especially since every man and his miniature giant space hamster has their own nuanced definition.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 pm
damn it ive been waiting 10 years and still no make game button :P lol

Shouldn't try to rush the guys doing the work here they are doing it not only in their free time... but also for free! People need to realize that the only reason unity and unreal have massive features is because they have people earning money to do it and have to create results or they don't get paid. Torques steering committee are not getting anything and are still producing results at an alarmingly fast rate for a free team! so much so ive been trying to get a few influences from outside these forums to do a write up for a while now on just the steering committee so they can get some form of exposure or admiration for their work outside of the forums. They need to see just how valued their efforts are instead of hearing moaning and complaining all the time from us!
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 pm
I'm not sure there's a lot of complaining so much as the annoying whine of "are we there yet" from as far as I can tell a variety of people who do little else. This 'are we there yet' crew exists in all formats, from the forums to discord, usually from people who are new and don't know where to find the news (hint: it's just past the lair of the minotaur, you brought string right?) and generally dont hang around more than 10 minutes to hear the answers.

TBH I completely ignored the half of the post where razor tried to hive-mind with duion and completely dump on parts of the engine he could care less about :p

the use of 'indie' is almost as badly abused as the term 'AAA', which of course is patently obvious since these are the only two models in existence, so anything that isnt 'AAA' is by definition 'indie'.

Assuming what razor said is true, then we already have all the game engines we need for indie developers, RPGMaker and Gamemaker, anything beyond that is apparently frivolous :p
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 pm
damn it ive been waiting 10 years and still no make game button :P lol
i'd do it, but the torque GUI hates me, I have all the code, I just don't know how to make buttons.... I'm cursed :)
57 posts Page 4 of 6