Torque2D on Patreon

2D version of the Torque engine.
23 posts Page 3 of 3
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:52 pm
Today I checked in code to the development branch to start the process of creating the editors. I started weeks ago (or longer I can't remember) and quickly found that the GUI situation was so bad that nobody could use it without looking up the code to see what actually works. So I've been reworking much of the GUI code to make it usable again - all documented in the GUI guide in the wiki of course. Most importantly, my checked in code paves the way for the editors. It builds the folder structure and sets up a separate asset manager and module manager for the editor as well as some place holder managers. It's a long ways off still, but I think it shows what I'm gunning for. You can see it now in the dev branch. It's not stable.

Tilemaps are a lot different than TGB. They now work using the CompositeSprite instead of a dedicated tilemap object. If you know what you're doing they can be very fast. If not, well, you should know what you're doing...

T2D does not have lighting of any kind. There's no normal mapping. There's no shader support. It uses a fixed pipeline. Consequently, this seems like a good area to grow the engine.

Liquid fun is cool. Seems like a side note to me. Not really critical to the engine.
Okay i will download a fresh 3.4 source and work on adding some simple specular lighting and see if it works out. Composite sprites where u define cell sizes and such? i might actually try and add an option to use dedicated tilemap objects as well as a side option? or do u think composite sprites would be the best way to leave it? i can see how composite sprites would load quicker, are there any advantages u can think of to having dedicated tilemap objects?
greenfire27

by greenfire27 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:29 pm
Composite Sprites do have dedicated cells like a tilemap, but they also have other modes for isometric tile maps or custom arrangements of sprites. There's no need for another tilemap object.

You can read about them here: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque2D ... rite-Guide

In my game,Pirate Code, I use composite sprites for the ships (custom mode) and also for the world map's ocean (rectangular tile mode):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/370120/Pirate_Code/
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm
I can see what u mean about it being pretty straight through, the functions for lighting are loaded into memory om gl_types.cc and then disabled in dgl.cc but everything is there if i set up lights as a scene object and then a simple counter for each light this shouldnt be too difficult. Would be cool to get lighting like this working in torque 2d

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSf1MpsWKig[/youtube]
23 posts Page 3 of 3