Help a newbie pick an engine

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
23 posts Page 2 of 3
irei1as
by irei1as » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:01 pm
In less than 18 days I was able to summit a (very) small 3rd person single player beat em' up game for a game jam.
The engine is quite versatile and flexible once you're used to it.
But I only had experience doing games with RPGMaker before. I don't have enough knowledge of other engines to compare them.

The server/client stuff is not easy when heavily modifying the C++ code but once I kind of understood the pack/unpack thing it became doable.
As for scripting for single player I think there are good enough tutorials for the few parts where it's needed (change camera, mainly). I ignore the duality in the rest of scripts and they work fine.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:03 pm
There's definitely some good responses here, but I figure I'll toss a hat into the pile as well. More info for consideration is always good!

Networking:
While it's true that T3D handles everything as networking, most of that is kinda obscured away from you while scripting, normally. In base terms, if you're writing gameplay, you'll be doing scripts in the server side, if you're doing inputs/gui, you'll be doing scripts on the client side. Then you just have some commandToServer/Clients sprinkled in to bridge between them as needed.

But outside of that, you don't often need to fret on where's what in relation to server/client unless you're getting into some fancier behavior. Doubly so if you're only doing a single player game.

Template
The existing templates do a decent job of getting you set up with a basic framework for gameplay, the networking and some starting content, but the path the scripts take are intermingled and kinda confusing. It's been mentioned, but I've got a draft for a new template based on that t3d-bones one that's more fleshed out and utilizes the modules system. Some changes are coming to it to further refine it for it's integration for 4.0, but if you wanted to have a poke at it, it's here: https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/tre ... meTemplate

Entity/Components
There's an experimental implementation in T3D already as of 3.9, and as covered in the roadmap, it'll be the primary system for 4.0. I really do like the e/c method because it cuts back on duplication of code and keeps things broken down and managable, as well as letting you build out custom objects without being obligated to jump into the source code.

I'd suggest giving a skim of my work blog, as I do a fair bit of talking about that kind of stff, as well as PBR and other WIP stuff we're doing with the engine for 4.0, here:http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159

If there's anything else you're curious on, or would like some more in-depth breakdowns on, by all means, ask. We've got some rather knowledgable people here, and we're totally keen to answering questions :)
Johxz
by Johxz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 pm
I prefer emacs over an ide and only use the ide to compile :lol:
Oh wow nice! me too! :ugeek: How to use Emacs and TorqueScript :roll:

Info: IDEs and Editor for TorqueScript
Last edited by Johxz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
throw_away
by throw_away » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm
@ JeffR Thanks, your work blog had almost convinced me to stick to torque, i just needed a nudge to take the plunge which is why i posted on the forum. The kind folks here already provided that and i'm happy to announce you have a convert! :lol:
throw_away
by throw_away » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:11 pm
I prefer emacs over an ide and only use the ide to compile :lol:
Oh wow nice! me too! :ugeek: How to use Emacs and TorqueScript :roll:

Info: IDEs and Editor for TorqueScript
That's great! Although I'm pretty sure soon some heathen will chime in and say "oh but i use vim!!!" :D
Johxz
by Johxz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm
That's great! Although I'm pretty sure soon some heathen will chime in and say "oh but i use vim!!!" :D
naah I don't think so, vim* is death :lol: maybe someone from Atom :mrgreen:

BTW I'm updating the wiki to add the TorqueScript support in Atom.

* To vim fans: This is a joke
deathbravo
by deathbravo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:08 pm
a short distraction;
I am the vim fan.
but I like the joke.
:D :lol: :D :lol:
throw_away
by throw_away » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 pm
"War.....war never changes..." :lol:
NekoDemon117
by NekoDemon117 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:43 am
"War.....war never changes..." :lol:
The funny thing is that the video on Atom's website reminds me of the computer consoles in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Especially after "grandma" in the video changes the text so that it's all green. The same green as the text on the computers in Fallout. The Fallout computers were monochrome and didn't have a joystick, but these "Atom 1.0"s are "The text editor of the future" computers after all. :lol:
Janders
by Janders » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm
Id like to recommend Torque3D but...

Xenko Game Engine.
23 posts Page 2 of 3