** VOTE ** - New TorqueScript extension!

Johxz

Hi!

For which extension you would like to be replaced?

You like the old *.cs or you want a new up to date extension? :lol: :lol: just joking!

Vote here! --> http://goo.gl/forms/vlsxz72dcjkpeswa2

We need your vote!

You can check the extension from here:

- http://file.org/extension/tcs

- http://extension.nirsoft.net/tcs

- http://fileinfo.com/extension/ts

- http://filext.com/file-extension/TCS

old comment: http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/88149/1#comment-609603

Thanks!

Edited by Johxz

Sure I would like to keep .cs but Microsoft pretty much railroaded it where everybody assumes it's a C# file. So we have to change it to something else. .tsc (TorqueScript Code) gets my vote. And could change .dso.cs to .tso for TorqueScript Object file. ;)

As for .ts is MPEG-2 transport stream for those of you who don't work with video or multimedia data on a daily basis. So it wouldn't work out trying to use that file extension.

Well, okay, since we're a small enough community that my vote literally counts (never experienced THAT sensation before) I feel obligated to inform the group that I have changed my mind after I voted. I went for the "aw, leave it alone, I don't want to change all my filenames and references when there's not a C# file within miles of my project" option, but if people feel it _must_ be changed then I'll align my vote with Andrew's options, .tsc & .tso.

If you leave it cs then at least Notepad++ thinks it C# and gives you nice colors. If you make it TS then every time you open a file ib NP++ you will have to manually set the language

That is a reason for some people, the problem is that, thinks it C#. (little off-topic: BTW you can use TorqueScript Editors and notepad++ will open automatically with TorqueScript highlight)

Check this old discussions:

But now T3D is MIT, have the source, we have a good SC 8-) and Torsion is MIT (is a IDE, for the people who don't know it) so the community can considered again if really need to change and start a debate.

Just a reminder the version 4 will have big good changes and maybe it will not be compatible with old versions, in this v4 is a good opportunity to include this extension change.

I'm pretty much on the fence with this.

Identifiable pros

The .cs is handy as it does trigger rudimentary (but incorrect) highlighting in most common editors, this highlighting is enough to aid navigation and readability for the most part.

identifiable cons.

If you've installed visual studio *after* your common editors, it hijacks the launch via extension. On my system at least this lumbering beats takes a while to start up before it can be shut down.

Identifiable work regardless of pro/con.

Extension needs to be assigned to the correct editor.

Editor needs to have the correct highlighting. you can add .ts .tsc to the C/C++/C# highlighting lists of most editors anyway

(side note, notepad++ gets quite pissy when trying to reassign .cs files to C or C++ highlighting.)

Seems to me that there are several issues here regardless of the actual extension.

The main one being lack of 'correct' syntax highlighting in many editors. So, regardless of extension changing perhaps the people who are good at editing such things could make functioning syntax highlighters for their favourite editors. I have seen a notepad++ one in the past, cant find it now, i also seem to think it wasnt quite right.

So to all you atom/sublime/notepad/VScode users out there, would you consider making a highlighter plugin for torque, we can always make minor changes if the extension changes.

I'm pretty much on the fence with this.

Identifiable pros

The .cs is handy as it does trigger rudimentary (but incorrect) highlighting in most common editors, this highlighting is enough to aid navigation and readability for the most part.

identifiable cons.

If you've installed visual studio *after* your common editors, it hijacks the launch via extension. On my system at least this lumbering beats takes a while to start up before it can be shut down.

Identifiable work regardless of pro/con.

Extension needs to be assigned to the correct editor.

Editor needs to have the correct highlighting. you can add .ts .tsc to the C/C++/C# highlighting lists of most editors anyway

(side note, notepad++ gets quite pissy when trying to reassign .cs files to C or C++ highlighting.)

Seems to me that there are several issues here regardless of the actual extension.

The main one being lack of 'correct' syntax highlighting in many editors. So, regardless of extension changing perhaps the people who are good at editing such things could make functioning syntax highlighters for their favourite editors. I have seen a notepad++ one in the past, cant find it now, i also seem to think it wasnt quite right.

So to all you atom/sublime/notepad/VScode users out there, would you consider making a highlighter plugin for torque, we can always make minor changes if the extension changes.

Here is the known list of editors and plugins in case you were wondering: http://wiki.torque3d.org/introduction:scripting-ides

ive seen that page and frankly, it needs to be rewritten so that

1) its written by somebody who doesnt dispise torquescript and or windows.

2) uses software developed this century.

3) doesnt actually scare the living shit out of potential developers.

vim seriously, apart from superiority complex, antique and bristly microsoft haters pretty much nobody really uses vim. :p

most of the other options are old open source software with some hacked together half working syntax, again developed for much older version of the engines so not much more than the half baked syntax highlighting even works anymore.

The potential saving grace here is that the two leading windows contenders are now open source, it would do the community better if one was picked and modernised, and possibly made cross platform.

This conversation has gotten wholly sidetracked, probably all my fault, but really all i was trying to point out was that a small amount of work potentially fixes most of the problems associated with the extension 'problem'.

The only real problem i see with .cs is the C# conflict for those who develop in C# most of whom will be using Visual Studio simply because of its superiority in its domain, other C# devs who use a 'one editor to rule them all' system like atom or VS code or sublime etc only have issues of highlighting which i dont really see an alternative to extension change as a solution.

it does however need pointing out that for those who do have issues with the extension, the ability to change the extension for a particular project is pretty trivial, and tbh its something i might possibly recommend anyway.

I have seen a notepad++ one in the past, cant find it now, i also seem to think it wasnt quite right.

You can download from here:

To configure the plugin:

• open Notepad++

• in the View menu, click Language, then "Define your language..."

• Click Import and select the file you downloaded

• restart Notepad++

• in the Language menu, you should now see a language called Torquescript at the bottom. Select it, and you're ready to go.

vim seriously, apart from superiority complex, antique and bristly microsoft haters pretty much nobody really uses vim. :p

Ahm not completely true hahaha :lol: maybe for game development you are right I don't know in this field.... but vi, vim, emacs, and other obscure editors are used everyday, for different uses, not only to program... Especially the 3 which I named :D but you're right....

The potential saving grace here is that the two leading windows contenders are now open source, it would do the community better if one was picked and modernised, and possibly made cross platform.

we're on it ;) of course!!!

This conversation has gotten wholly sidetracked, probably all my fault

Don't worry... some went through this too :D

'one editor to rule them all' system like atom or VS code or sublime etc only have issues of highlighting which i dont really see an alternative to extension change as a solution.

This are good alternatives, even notepad++ with his plugins, but this are text editors, you need to tweak to do stuff more like IDE. I remember doing something like this in sublime to compile my project and stuff..

Ok but an IDE or a TEXT EDITOR are two different thing...

the lines are blurring, and have been for some time, vim was always just an editor with some decent plugins, now theres a variety of plugins to turn it into an IDE and even some guis that turn it into a full ide, many of the text editors especially the newer ones have the ability to compile on command, when the ability to debug in text editors is ironed out the transformation will be complete.

however there are still a lot of people especially on linux that spend an inordinate amount of time typing make into a terminal rather than clicking on the run button, and tbh torque script editing is much more like that for many people, and will be for many more when autoloading and autorunning overwritten functions become a thing in T3D. At which point the text editor and its corrected syntax highlighting become a more useful tool; imo.

as for the NPP thing, yeah i tried it before managed to screw up notepad... dont ask, its a gift :p

No doubt! I use vi much more often than vim.

And I voted for .torquescript because I'm perverse that way (I'm a father, after all). And it won't clash.

Microsoft stole your ".cs" extension, but you should also be aware they stole your ".ts" proposal as well with "Typescript", and "tsc" is the typescript compiler :D

i would suggest .t3d as the safest extension that isn't like to clash.

Hm you are right, all those extensions are already in use, so either use .t3d or just leave it as it is.

Most/many file extensions are used more than once anyway, this is not uncommon. The chances of finding an 'unused' extension are slim to none, the only real concern is that the extension clashes with another current and more commonly used extension.

Somewhere and somehow doesn't matter what you pick short of breaking the whole 8.3 or at least the .3 part (which I personally find very annoying when I find this) there is going to be a clash.

Personally, I change almost all of my 'visual studio' file associations so that I don't mistakenly launch the beast anyway, so I set codeblocks or notepad++ to open single code files.

Hm you are right, all those extensions are already in use, so either use .t3d or just leave it as it is.

As I said before TSC is an initialism, not an extension used by microsoft. If you check the page for the extension: http://filext.com/file-extension/TSC you will see its used by TINA pro, circuit simulator software. Low risk for collision among torque users. If you check the page for .t3d however: http://filext.com/file-extension/T3D its used by Swift 3D, Topaz 3D, and Unreal Engine. High risk for collision.

As I said before TSC is an initialism, not an extension used by microsoft. If you check the page for the extension: http://filext.com/file-extension/TSC you will see its used by TINA pro, circuit simulator software. Low risk for collision among torque users. If you check the page for .t3d however: http://filext.com/file-extension/T3D its used by Swift 3D, Topaz 3D, and Unreal Engine. High risk for collision.

So you are right.