Garagegames Github hidden repositories

Duion

Maybe some people have noticed already, but there are new repositories showing on the Garagegames Github account: https://github.com/GarageGames

Why do they show now? It looks like those repositories were hidden previously and now are showing. Someone suggested to me, that maybe they stopped paying for their Github account and maybe Github revealed their hidden repositories.

There is a very interesting repository containing all the asset packs from the Garagegames store including source files: https://github.com/GarageGames/ContentPacks

It looks like the content has not been made open source and is still copyrighted, but the source files for the Soldier for example would solve the long lasting problem of the broken collada importer which did not import the animations.

Some parts of those art assets were free before anyway, all content available in the FPS tutorial was open sourced, the asset repository just contains cleaned up versions for the assets and for example the decal art pack was free (not open source) on the garagegames store before. Additionally the repositories contain the source files of some stuff that is in the open sourced main repository.

So remaining are the soldier skins, animations, weapon packs, the cheeatah skins, the zombie packs, the warehouse art packs.

I would donate something to an indiegogo campaign or so, to open source the rest of it as well, but I don't know if the small community will raise enough. On the other hand, they probably will not make money from the packs, since they have no store anymore, but Maybe we will see the Torque soldier in the Unity asset store in the future.

Well, if examining anything that is visible can help to solve problems then at the least I believe that GG wouldn't have a problem with people doing that. But since the assets and products have no license one could obviously not simply take them for general use.

For instance - the asset importers/editors in 3SS could probably be used as a foundation for the same type of tools in T2D.

I guess I'm trying to say that I don't think they would have a problem with people using them as a springboard - but of course ask them if you have questions.

Here: https://github.com/GarageGames/3SS

You seem to be confused between free and open source software, and just open source software. UE4 is opensource. CryEngine is open source. 3SS is open source. They're not, however, free or libre.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

hahaaha :lol: :lol: :lol: RS you right my men... misses the point...

thanks for share the link.

EDIT: Oh oh you reply to duion :o hahaha now he will discharge on you the free software fury (license, philosophy and other stuff)

Open Source means:

https://opensource.org/osd

MIT license meets those terms. Ogre3D and Torque 3D and GoDot all comes with that.

UE4 does not.

Sorry about this post but I do not want to see people make the wrong decisions so I felt it was needed to link to the legal information :mrgreen:

Edit: also with the three step studio I will assume that the answer Eric from GG active send me is the same as with the art packs. They were made public to reduce hosting cost and are not Open Source and hence like with UE4 some other license dictates its use until anything else is written in the GitHub Branch.

Have you read the post on the FSF website? If you did, you'll realize that "Open Source" has unintended meanings, quoting:

The official definition of “open source software” (which is published by the Open Source Initiative and is too long to include here) was derived indirectly from our criteria for free software. It is not the same; it is a little looser in some respects. Nonetheless, their definition agrees with our definition in most cases.

However, the obvious meaning for the expression “open source software”—and the one most people seem to think it means—is “You can look at the source code.” That criterion is much weaker than the free software definition, much weaker also than the official definition of open source. It includes many programs that are neither free nor open source.

Not only FOSS is not Open Source, but Open Source is not open source. Such confusion is a pain in the ass, because companies love to market that their EULA-restricted releases are open-source. They are, but not in the OSI definition, or in the FSF definition of FOSS.

For anyone in further doubt: https://tldrlegal.com

The correct terms is "free software" and the rest is "proprietary software", quite simple.

Free software is free to use and grants you the 4 freedoms of free software as defined by the FSF and proprietary software is owned and restrictive and designed to enslave you.

To make it simple, if something has not a license that is listed under the commonly known free software licenses it is not free software. The most common free software licenses are GPL, MIT and BSD.

Regarding Github, I don't know if you can have copyrighted stuff in public on Github, I always assumed public projects are some kind of free software. I thought this is how Github works, if you are a company and want to host proprietary content, you have to pay, but if you are a private person and/or want to do free software that is listed publicly, it is free.

Having had similar discussions with GG employees - including Eric Priez - over the years, they don't generally mind if you want to look at and learn from what they make visible. Don't take it and try to sell it whole, don't reskin and rip off, and they probably won't mind. Ask them first to be sure - Eric is very pleasant and will certainly answer any questions you have. Keep these things in mind and I'm sure you'll be fine with regards to things that GG makes publicly visible.

If you always keep in mind that nothing in this world is "free" then you can never go wrong.

You are wrong, Uebergame is free.

@rlranft

Do you think it would be fine to use the source files from the content that has been open sourced anyway, like Torque3D stock assets and the FPS tutorial? There is people complaining for eternity now, that the collada animations are broken on import, the source files would solve that and the source files for the textures would remove the compression artifacts.

@rlranft

Do you think it would be fine to use the source files from the content that has been open sourced anyway, like Torque3D stock assets and the FPS tutorial? There is people complaining for eternity now, that the collada animations are broken on import, the source files would solve that and the source files for the textures would remove the compression artifacts.

I think you should ask Eric Priez instead of me. I don't work for Garage Games and he does....