River Editor problems...

Mitovo

Hello,

So, I'm working on a map for a project, and after creating a river, I'm finding that, for some reason, the segment of the river closest to me keeps vanishing. It only happens when I get within a certain distance of it; if I move farther away, it's restored and looks normal.

I've tried saving and re-opening the mission.

I've tried saving, closing T3D entirely and re-opening it.

I haven't changed any of the settings for the river, other than changing the height, width and depth of each river node.

Same thing happens in either case.

Any idea why this is happening?

Time and assistance is much appreciated :)

Here's a couple screenshots... (had to link them because for some reason they don't show in the final post, even though they show in the preview... odd).

Pic 1

Pic 2

I'm wondering if it might be better to just use a water block and stretch it out - if there isn't a fix for the river problem? I'm assuming that would work okay. Wouldn't look as good, since it would be all flowing straight, and not following a curve, but at least it wouldn't "vanish" like the river is.

hey MiToVo I don't have this problem. What's in you console.log? or debug info from you visual studio? with this information we can better help you.

what customization you have in your t3d engine?

You compile you project with opengl or directx?

Try to change from the lighting menu from basic to advance. http://i.imgur.com/tmyuioZl.jpg

I remember having some strange issue with my graphic but was my Intel HD Graphics and the lighting option, BTW update your graphic card.

hey MiToVo I don't have this problem. What's in you console.log? or debug info from you visual studio? with this information we can better help you.

what customization you have in your t3d engine?

You compile you project with opengl or directx?

Try to change from the lighting menu from basic to advance. http://i.imgur.com/tmyuioZl.jpg

I remember having some strange issue with my graphic but was my Intel HD Graphics and the lighting option, BTW update your graphic card.

Hi there and thanks for the response!

I'm using the "out-of-the-box" pre-compiled build, as-is. I haven't compiled it or modified anything about it. I don't even have a programming environment installed on my system, so I have no console to check in that regard. I believe I am using the advanced lighting option; not at my computer at the moment, so I'd have to double check that to be 100% sure. Will have to check whether I'm using DX or OGL, not 100% sure which I have it configured as.

Also, my video card drivers are the most up to date.

Ah okay. I thought you were referring to console output from a programming app.

Okay, here's the console file from my latest run. I tried it in OGL, and with basic and advance lighting, and the same thing happens.

So, maybe the console file will provide a clue... I do see some shader compile errors related to the water, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit... Looks like this forum software does not like files linked from Dropbox.. I had the same problem posting my screenshots in the first post. So... I'll put it in a code window instead...

//-------------------------- 1/11/2016 -- 13:09:52 -----
Processor Init:
  AMD Phenom, ~4.03 Ghz
  FPU detected
  MMX detected
  SSE detected
  SSE2 detected
  HT detected
  MP detected [4 cores, 8 logical, 1 physical]

Math Init:
  Installing Standard C extensions
  Installing Assembly extensions
  Installing FPU extensions
  Installing MMX extensions
  Installing SSE extensions

Initializing platform...
Input Init:
  keyboard0 input device created.
  mouse0 input device created.
  joystick0 input device created.
  DirectInput enabled.

Done
GFX Init:
  Direct 3D (version 9.x) device found
  Null device found
  OpenGL device found

DebugDrawer Enabled!
--------- Loading DIRS ---------

--------- Parsing Arguments ---------
Binding server port to default IP
UDP initialized on port 0
Attempting to create GFX device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (D3D9) [\\.\DISPLAY1]
Device created, setting adapter and enumerating modes
  Cur. D3DDevice ref count=1
  Pix version detected: 3.000000
  Vert version detected: 3.000000
  Maximum number of simultaneous samplers: 16
  Number of simultaneous render targets: 4
  Hardware occlusion query detected: Yes
  Using Direct3D9Ex: No
WMIVideoInfo: DxDiag initialized
Initializing GFXCardProfiler (D3D9)
  o Chipset : 'GeForce GTX 970'
  o Card    : 'GeForce GTX 970'
  o Version : '10.18.0013.6143'
  o VRAM    : 2147483647 MB
  - Scanning card capabilities...
GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'autoMipMapLevel' to 1.
GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'maxTextureWidth' to 16384.
GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'maxTextureHeight' to 16384.
GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'maxTextureSize' to 16384.
GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'lerpDetailBlend' to 1.
GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'fourStageDetailBlend' to 1.
  - Loading card profiles...
     - Loaded card profile core/profile/D3D9.cs
     - No card profile core/profile/D3D9.GeForceGTX970.cs exists
     - No card profile core/profile/D3D9.GeForceGTX970.GeForceGTX970.cs exists
     - No card profile core/profile/D3D9.GeForceGTX970.GeForceGTX970.101800136143.cs exists
% - PostFX Manager - Executing core/scripts/client/postFx/default.postfxpreset.cs
% - PostFX Manager - Applying from preset
% - PostFX Manager - PostFX enabled
core/scripts/gui/messageBoxes/messageBox.ed.cs (23): string always evaluates to 0.
% - Initialized Core

--------- Initializing Directory: scripts ---------
sfxStartup...
SFXSystem::createDevice - created XAudio device 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)'
  Provider: XAudio
  Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
  Hardware: No
  Buffers: 16

--------- Initializing Sandbox: Server Scripts ---------

--------- Initializing Sandbox: Client Scripts ---------

--------- Initializing Lighting Systems ---------
Using Advanced Lighting

--------------
Attempting to set resolution to "1440 900 false 32 60 4"
Accepted Mode: 
--Resolution : 1440 900
--Full Screen : No
--Bits Per Pixel : 32
--Refresh Rate : 60
--FSAA Level : 4
--------------
GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 625e6e0 has 2 ref's
--- Resetting D3D Device ---
GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 625ee00 has 2 ref's
TerrainMaterial::onAdd() - Internal name collision; 'Grass_Diff' already exists!
Binding server port to default IP
UDP initialized on port 0
Activating DirectInput...
% - Initializing Tools
tools/gui/guiPlatformGenericMenubar.ed.gui (0): Unable to instantiate non-conobject class GuiPlatformGenericMenuBar.
% - Initializing Tools Base
% - Initializing Base Editor
% - Initializing World Editor
% - Initializing Sketch Tool
- Initializing Datablock Editor
% - Initializing Debugger
% - Initializing Decal Editor
% - Initializing Forest Editor
% - Initializing Gui Editor
% - Initializing Material Editor
% - Initializing Mesh Road Editor
% - Initializing Mission Area Editor
% - Initializing Navigation Editor
SimObject::linkNamespaces -- Namespace linkage already in place NavEditorConsoleListener
% - Initializing Particle Editor
% - Initializing Physics Tools
% - Initializing River Editor
- Initializing Road and Path Editor
% - Initializing Shape Editor
Engine initialized...
Win32Window::WindowProc - resetting device due to window size change.
GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 625ee00 has 2 ref's
Window focus status changed: focus: 1
AntiAliasing has been disabled; it is not compatible with AdvancedLighting.
Exporting server prefs...
Warning: shape art/shapes/weapons/Turret/Turret_Legs.DAE collision detail 0 (Collision-1) bounds exceed that of shape.
Warning: shape art/shapes/weapons/Turret/Turret_Legs.DAE collision detail 0 (Collision-1) bounds exceed that of shape.
TSShape::removeNode: Node 'collision-1' has 1 objects attached, these will be reassigned to the node's parent ('null')
TSShape::removeNode: Node 'Cheetah_Turret_LOD300' has 1 objects attached, these will be reassigned to the node's parent ('null')
TSShape::removeNode: Node 'Tread_LOD300' has 1 objects attached, these will be reassigned to the node's parent ('null')
TSShape::removeNode: Node 'collision-1' has 1 objects attached, these will be reassigned to the node's parent ('null')
TSShape::removeNode: Node 'TireBack_LOD300' has 1 objects attached, these will be reassigned to the node's parent ('null')
*** LOADING MISSION: levels/Riverland.mis
*** Stage 1 load
*** Stage 2 load
[MaterialList::mapMaterials] Unable to find material for texture: mud
Game -> activatePackages
*** Mission loaded
Connect request from: IP:0.0.0.0:0
Connection established 19879
CADD: 19880 local
*** Sending mission load to client: levels/Riverland.mis
Mapping string: ServerMessage to index: 0
Mapping string: MsgConnectionError to index: 1
Mapping string: MsgLoadInfo to index: 2
Mapping string: MsgLoadDescripition to index: 3
Mapping string: MsgLoadInfoDone to index: 4
Mapping string: MissionStartPhase1 to index: 5
*** New Mission: levels/Riverland.mis
*** Phase 1: Download Datablocks & Targets
% - PostFX Manager - Executing core/scripts/client/postFx/default.postfxpreset.cs
% - PostFX Manager - Applying from preset
% - PostFX Manager - PostFX enabled
Mapping string: MissionStartPhase1Ack to index: 0
Warning: shape art/shapes/weapons/Turret/Turret_Legs.DAE collision detail 1 (Collision-1) bounds exceed that of shape.
Warning: shape art/shapes/weapons/Turret/Turret_Legs.DAE collision detail 1 (Collision-1) bounds exceed that of shape.
[MaterialList::mapMaterials] Unable to find material for texture: base.lmale
Mapping string: MissionStartPhase2 to index: 6
*** Phase 2: Download Ghost Objects
Mapping string: MissionStartPhase2Ack to index: 1
Ghost Always objects received.
Mapping string: MissionStartPhase3 to index: 7
Client Replication Startup has Happened!
fxFoliageReplicator - replicated client foliage for 0 objects
*** Phase 3: Mission Lighting
Mission lighting done
Mapping string: MissionStartPhase3Ack to index: 2
Mapping string: MissionStart to index: 8
Mapping string: SyncClock to index: 9
Mapping string: RefreshWeaponHud to index: 10
Mapping string: SetAmmoAmountHud to index: 11
Mapping string: ryder.png to index: 12
Mapping string: MsgClientJoin to index: 13
Mapping string: Welcome to the Torque demo app %1. to index: 14
Mapping string: Visitor to index: 15
*** Initial Control Object
*** Control Object Changed
Mapping string: LightGreen to index: 16
E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/postFx/edgeaa/edgeDetectP.hlsl(51,13): warning X3550: array reference cannot be used as an l-value; not natively addressable, forcing loop to unroll
Mapping string: setDamageDirection to index: 17
GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 625eda0 has 2 ref's
Time spent in toggleEditor() : 1.124 s
Mapping string: SetEditorCameraPlayer to index: 3
Using Basic Lighting
GFXD3D9Shader::_compileShader - Error compiling shader: E_FAIL: An undetermined error occurred (80004005)
  E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterP.hlsl(158,23): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
GFXD3D9Shader::_compileShader - Error compiling shader: E_FAIL: An undetermined error occurred (80004005)
  E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/postFx/edgeaa/edgeDetectP.hlsl(50,25): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
  E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/postFx/fogP.hlsl(36,18): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
  E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/lighting/advanced/vectorLightP.hlsl(70,27): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 2b1c15c0 has 2 ref's
  E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterP.hlsl(158,23): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'prepassUncondition'
Failed to initialize material 'WaterMat'
AntiAliasing has been enabled while running BasicLighting.
E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterBasicV.hlsl(112,11): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type
E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterBasicP.hlsl(199,22): warning X3206: 'computeSceneFog': implicit truncation of vector type
GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil e396740 has 2 ref's
Time spent in toggleEditor() : 0.259 s
Mapping string: Crouch to index: 18
Mapping string: Stand to index: 19
*** ENDING MISSION
19878 -> deactivatePackages
CDROP: 19880 IP:0.0.0.0:0
Exporting server prefs...
Exporting client prefs
Exporting server prefs
Cur. D3DDevice ref count=1

Thanks again!

really? well I not use Dropbox but you can use this pages imgur.com and pastebin.com.... I always use in this forum without problem.

May be the template has old shaders. Try to use the last version of T3D with his template. What version of T3D are you using? and what template?

Ok not sure but I think you need to disable "Anti-Aliasing" and try to use advanced lighting. Not sure but looks like the same problem I was having with my Intel HD graphics card. What version of you nvidia VGA drivers you have installed? because for me I updated the drivers and problem solved. In my early post I was trying to say "update you VGA drivers" haha :)

I copied here the failed chunk of code for SC to help. If I not wrong this was a old bug.

E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterP.hlsl(158,23): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
   E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/postFx/edgeaa/edgeDetectP.hlsl(50,25): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
   E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/postFx/fogP.hlsl(36,18): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
   E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/lighting/advanced/vectorLightP.hlsl(70,27): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'autogenUncondition_55070f7a'
   E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterP.hlsl(158,23): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'prepassUncondition'
Failed to initialize material 'WaterMat'
AntiAliasing has been enabled while running BasicLighting.
E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterBasicV.hlsl(112,11): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type
E:/GameDev/T3D/My Projects/Sandbox/game/shaders/common/water/waterBasicP.hlsl(199,22): warning X3206: 'computeSceneFog': implicit truncation of vector type

So, I deleted the other river and started a new one.

Everything is fine up to a certain point, but then it gets wonky again. I think it's happening because the river editor doesn't seem to account well for areas where a river is wide, but also has relatively sharp turns in it. As you widen the river, the red "ribbon" denoting the edges of it becomes all looped around and weird, and there's no way to adjust it manually.

I tried adding and removing points, moving them around, etc.. to get it to fix itself, but it never did. It stayed all looped up.

So basically, I don't think the river system is useful for me at all in this situation - unless there's some trick someone knows of?

Kind of a bummer to have a good system like that, but be unable to use it :/.

Hi... When is very wide you need to add more points to more control and you can't have two corner edge from the same river at the same spot. From my map I add a long river with wide areas, at some point disappear but was because two edges was overlapping each other. My river have the "L" shape, so I needed to curve more and problem solved.

Can you post a screenshot of you river? or even better if you can share your level.

What kind of reflection do you use for the surface? Try using a cubemap and check if the problem this exists.

Also seen meshroad objects rendering not correctly with large levels, try moving the river object all the way up in the simgroup and reload the mission file.