Curious fantasy and hypothesis

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
42 posts Page 2 of 5
Duion

by Duion » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 pm
Let me tell you how I chose this engine, I wanted an open source engine and I wanted the best open source engine that offers modern technology and is not a dead end like Quake engine.
I saw Torque3D being open sourced and there my decision was already made and I never looked into the details like scripting language etc, I did not even know what a scripting language is at that time.
My only question was, "Can the engine do what I need?" and after those questions were answered technical details became mostly irrelevant.

To make it short I'm pretty certain changing technical details on the engine will do nothing or almost nothing in regards to people using it, that is not what people look for, they are looking if the tool can do what they need and everything else is secondary. Choosing an engine because it uses a scripting language you like or because of other design choices is pretty insane and those people are not serious in their undertaking anyway. There are cases however where secondary criteria are important and that is if they are breaking primary criteria, for example my main criteria was to have an open source engine, but if that open source engine switches to a non open source friendly scripting language (like C#) it becomes a serious problem, since it will put the main advantage at risk and with that put everything at risk just for a bit convenience.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:36 am
since this thread is utterly derailed and more people are dumping than helping...
I'm sure that everyone has their own criteria for engine selections, sadly some of these are petty, like the TS hating knuckle draggers.

but this... this is patently false
To make it short I'm pretty certain changing technical details on the engine will do nothing or almost nothing in regards to people using it
pretty much all the 'new' traffic is made by kids doing the 'are we there yet' routine with PBR and 4.0, so the technical detail of version number is literally stopping children from making games.
Duion

by Duion » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:51 am
Do we even have a traffic counter? I don't think anyone from the nonexistent admins/committee is monitoring anything regarding visitors. If you don't have any metrics, then all other discussion in that regard is mostly meaningless, since there is no way to prove anything.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:07 pm
well, it's not scientific, but I see new people coming into discord, and that's almost exclusively what they ask for, I see people who have been part of the community in the past pop in fairly frequently and that's what they ask, so empirically based on forum questions and discord questions that's an insanely common query. it's not an improbable stretch to attribute this to at least a proportion of the silent people who just come and check occasionally.

I know we have a documentation and information problem, that is the major contributor to this thread being created in the first instance, in part because the two major arms of the game development sector (artists and programmers) just happen to suck ass at creating documentation, for a variety of reasons, but its there, and they don't do it very often
Duion

by Duion » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:43 pm
Is the wiki the official supposed place for documentation now? ( http://wiki.torque3d.org/ )
I would assume it is, but most people do not realize it. We should encourage more people to write things into there on their own, because our nonexistent steering committee obviously will not take care of that.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:38 am
We need documentation, organised documentation, I mean most of it's already written, it just needs organising, but why the incessant demands than the SC do everything, pretty sure they have enough work to do.

contribution vs complaining
helping vs demanding
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:05 am
The purpose of the wiki was so the community could contribute elements to the documentation in a standardized way that most everyone is familiar with, hence a wiki.

That's how all wikis work and anyone is free to help with it. As Blood said, we have a ton of documentation, it just needs to be better collated and centralized.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 am
I'm going to start a documentation thread, @
JeffR
has seen the stuff I'm poking around at and I hope that everyone else will at least look at it and have some input.
suncaller
by suncaller » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 pm
Godot is "popular" because it gets subsidized, because it offers mobile support, cryptocurrency support which then offers great protential to rip people off through microtransactions, that is what matters.
I've been watching the growth of the Godot engine, and I'm not sure that's a fair assessment. Instead, I think it's because Godot has certain strengths that it leverages correctly and follows through on that with appropriate marketing and development. The difference is that Torque3D's strengths take a tremendous amount of time to improve or change, because unlike Godot, it is a historied engine with a massive codebase capable of doing a great many things. The purpose of this thread seems to be to embrace the metaphor of Startup!Torque3D, and a part of that is analyzing the demographic we serve, leveraging the existing resources we have, and figuring out how to procure those we don't. In this sense, Godot is an objectively good example, since they've leveraged less into more.
Duion

by Duion » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:08 pm
Godot is "popular" because it gets subsidized, because it offers mobile support, cryptocurrency support which then offers great protential to rip people off through microtransactions, that is what matters.
I've been watching the growth of the Godot engine, and I'm not sure that's a fair assessment. Instead, I think it's because Godot has certain strengths that it leverages correctly
Yes and those strenghts I already named like subzidization, mobile support, cryptocurrency support and microtransactions and pay2win support. What is so hard on watching statistics? The PC marked is flooded, saturated and shrinking, the mobile sector is new and growing. There were multiple new engine projects I watched that were not mobile game engines and they ALL failed. Almost all of the indie dev scene and the open source game dev scene only do mobile and/or retro style games, there are hardly any serious indie game projects, the risk of failure is too high, the competition too strong, the engines too weak, the costs too high etc etc mobile and retro games on the other hand can be developed cheaply and still generate a lot of money.
42 posts Page 2 of 5