Getting something done!

Bloodknight

ok, so the title is clickbait, but the point is that much discussion was had regarding the points made about the lack of 'visibility' of the work being done, and it was decided that we would try a few things.

As part of an experiment, an experimental repo will be set up, potentially this could be used for other things and extended, but for now, it will be populated with a bunch of branches that the main devs think to work for 2 main areas

1) small engine improvements that may or may not be complete but would be fine additions to the engine, this allows developers who might want to use such features a chance to either review and test the code or get a leg up on completing a feature they want for their projects.

2) potentially some of the larger and more complicated branches that allow users to look at alpha level versions of the features I have to stress however that these branches will be ALPHA which means they could be anywhere between nice or broken in any number of ways.

I will hopefully get a PBR alpha branch from Jeff, may not be game ready, but should be more than good enough to get some feedback from the artists who have a PBR enabled workflow.

I am also going to be going through the PRs and issues on a semi-regular basis (probably weekly to start) and creating a sort of digest of categorised and shortlisted PRs that need reviewing/testing, while not at Trello level task selection just yet we are looking into the Zenhub features which are free for public/opensource projects.

There is also a pretty long list of game types that we would like to ship as parts of the modular template system, we have a name for these Rapid Prototype Kits (RPKs), they don't need to be super detailed, just a few basic functions to show how the game type works. If anybody has an interest in developing one of these then let me know. We have a large collection of prototype art from places like blendswap and opengameart, so theres no need to stress about art in the beginning; of course artists can chip in with an assist, maybe even form small teams.

I'll post more details about some of this stuff later on as time allows and extra details become available.

Here is a list of brainstormed and curated list of potential RPKs

First Person Shooter (2/5 difficulty)

Third Person Shooter (2/5 difficulty)

Squad/Tactical Game (3.5/5 difficulty)

Action RPG (3/5 difficulty)

Classic RPG (3/5 difficulty)

Real-time Strategy (2/5 difficulty)

2D Side-scroller/platformer (2/5 difficulty)

3D platformer (2/5 difficulty)

Racing (3/5 difficulty)

Flight (3-4/5 difficulty)

Space game (3-4/5 difficulty)

Boating/Pirating (3/5 difficulty)

Open World (?) (5/5 difficulty)

Fighting Game (3-4/5 difficulty)

Minecraft(3/5 difficulty)

Tower Defense(1/5 difficulty)

Free-running/climbing(2/5 difficulty)

ART stuffs.

Cartoon style.

Realistic style.

i have taken Jeffs original documentation and formatted it a tad

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AIHqf6Io3yrYuoaWvsyMfc1rVjsAN5scg-BZE4cIMmw/edit?usp=sharing

if anybody wants to help out feel free, things like rapid prototyping lets new users quickly know that their game idea type is likely supported by the engine, and gives a launch point.

I wonder, if it would be possible to kind of... 'Game Jam' this stuff? take torque, take a template theme, grab some OGA prototype art, we could promote and advertise in a few places and maybe get some more 'bums on seats'?

"I wonder, if it would be possible to kind of... 'Game Jam' this stuff? take torque, take a template theme, grab some OGA prototype art, we could promote and advertise in a few places and maybe get some more 'bums on seats'?"

That's actually a rather good idea. People do love their jams, easy to get people to try new things and it has a low effort commit, so people aren't afraid to try their hand for a weekend. If the result isn't that great, there's no hurt feelings about wasted time or the like. And anything that's useable is useable. Then for any bits that get used in final RPKs could get credits/references to the people that contributed this way.

Sounds like a cool notion. Say, 2-3 months post 4.0 so there can be some back and forth for folks to hash out how best to work with the new basegame template and EC tooling? Would at minimum give some good feedback from a pragmatic perspective as far as how easy or tough the stuff is to work with...

"I wonder, if it would be possible to kind of... 'Game Jam' this stuff? take torque, take a template theme, grab some OGA prototype art, we could promote and advertise in a few places and maybe get some more 'bums on seats'?"

Great thats like exactly the same thing that was planned 5+ years ago as well, multiple times even, I even was involved in 2-3 of such projects, I even did my part, but the other people just ran away doing nothing and so the projects did not get done obviously.

So don't act as if you are so revolutionary, you just dug out the plans that were made by the committee/community around 5 years ago that you deliberately buried.

Excellent contribution as usual, Duion! That got me thinking, if we constrain by game type, what type has the most core features common across the others? And if we constrain by theme, should we select it based on some similar criteria, random chance, or perhaps even following trends?

Excellent contribution as usual, Duion! That got me thinking, if we constrain by game type, what type has the most core features common across the others? And if we constrain by theme, should we select it based on some similar criteria, random chance, or perhaps even following trends?

As hypocritical as you are I think I know who you are. You are just a talker never getting anything done, I met countless of you before.