Torque 3D looks so good

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
22 posts Page 1 of 3
GAN
by GAN » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 pm
Hi All

I am aspiring game maker. I have been playing games for awhile. I found Torque3D and I love the way it looks! But as I am trying to learn it, I notice notice a lot of out dated things. I spent a while trying to find the FPS China Something and gave up. Also, would a would be Torque3D game maker have to work closely with MS VB? Not sure if I want to get too deep into to that. I am working parallel with Copper Cube. I just like the look of Torque 3D's looks. Is there a newer tutorial in the works for this software?

Thanks!
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:11 pm
The tutorials that you can find from the older torque 3d versions are still relevant to the current release of torque 3d to a certain extent,

For the fps china template if u go to this link http://www.garagegames.com/products/tor ... /1-setup/2

may take a while for the page to load but it does still work. Click the download demo button and extract it to your torque3d templates folder

I have thought this is one of the templates that should be still available to download from github or released with torque releases its a great setup and shows off a lot of the capabilities of the engine. A few of the other demo levels can be found here: http://wiki.torque3d.org/main:downloads
Duion

by Duion » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:56 pm
What you mean with "MS VB" ? If you mean Microsoft, don't worry, Torque3D works with Windows and Linux, as well as there are many ways to compile it and work with it, since it is open source.

I would not bother that much with the demos, they are very old and just to show off, some assets have been open sourced, so you can use them for free, but I would rather spend some time in learning the basics and take care of the art later.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 pm
The demos are still a great place to start to learn how certain things work in torque though, not to mention some of them really hold up well with the newer versions of torque for example take a look at how burg looks in the latest release of the engine.

Although this was made what 5 years ago? it and china town are still some of the best looking levels made with torque that have been released to the public study them and u will see what is needed to do what u want and what needs to be used to get the look u want. I just downloaded all of them and they all work perfectly without needing changes, burg needs the lightmap switched off because it was made to showcase purelight lightmapping.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 pm
Here's a walk through of burg, this is with the exponential audio falloff as well, you can see how it really holds up in the new engine and looks good.

GAN
by GAN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 am
That's what I am talking about!!!!!!! Marauder2k, did you make this????? This video is making me want to blow off work tomorrow and play with Torque 3D all day!!

Duion I was referring to Microsoft Visual Basic. I like it like a rock in my shoe.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am
no i didnt make that thats one of the demos that used to come with torque, u can download them still and drop the files into your game directory and they will work
Duion

by Duion » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:28 pm
Although this was made what 5 years ago? it and china town are still some of the best looking levels made with torque that have been released to the public study them and u will see what is needed to do what u want and what needs to be used to get the look u want.
Of course they are some of the best looking, since they were made through contract work by professional artists, from rumors I heard it did cost Garagegames 100 000 dollars or so, don't know if it was for Chinatown only or the other demos as well.
Chinatown is quite complex with lots of unecessary details, while gameplay wise hardly developed at all, I don't know if it is a good example to learn from. It is just a demo to look good, you cannot do much with it, since you cannot change the level much, since it is all ready made meshes and not very modular.
If you want to learn things, you better read articles about level design from somewhere else. Yes you can re-use some of the assets from the demos, but not that many and I would recommend not to do so.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm
yeah definitely dont use the assets lol :lol:

i think the only asset garage game paid for that they own was the soldier wasnt it? gideon was even copyright to someone else as far as i know
GAN
by GAN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 pm
So I should not bother with the ChinaTown assets? What about burg? I am having issues getting external objects in the game. I read somewhere (garagegames, I think) that all you have to do is copy an .fbx file into the /art folder and the World Editor will see it and you can import it. Not happening. Also is this a better forum than garagegames?
22 posts Page 1 of 3