New Showcase Level

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
37 posts Page 2 of 4
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:38 am
This sounds pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes :)

For art discussion, we actually have a channel on the Discord specifically for art stuffs now, so that could also be a good place to pow-wow and get feedback/ideas going
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 am
Perfect I’ll get on discord when I get home from work, having your interest means a lot Jeff, you do a lot for torque I’ve been following all your blog posts and looking forward to giving something back.

Note: I’ve changed the melee weapon that u use to break open the boxes from being a crowbar to being a torque wrench ;-) :)
Duion

by Duion » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:48 pm
I don't get why everyone wants to build such complex "showcase" games, the average "indie game" released is of less quality than what you guys are planning here, I mean the mere fact that you make the assets yourself and not just make an asset flip, makes it already higher quality than the average indie game. So why not make a game out of it?
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:21 pm
One game level idea isn’t enough to make a full game lik plus it’s an extremely simple idea with the very basic game mechanics in it, the idea is to not only inspire but it’s like we always joke “the click to make a game” button we all know there is no engine out there like that but they do give that outward appearance in their showcase level for a very good reason. Creating this and having assets that people can use in their own games changing them how they want will draw some well needed attention and can only be good for torque if it’s done well. I think I’m right in saying that the example artwork that comes with torque has been there for what 5 years? It needs something
Duion

by Duion » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:31 pm
@
marauder2k9

To think that the existance of more sample assets will draw more people in is a false conclusion.

I'm probably the biggest and best free open source game ready 3D asset producer in the world and I never observed any evidence that it drew significant attention in any way or that anyone significantly made use of it. So I think you are totally wasting your time here, almost everything you produce will be directly for the trash, if you do not make use of it yourself.

Even in the open source or indie game dev scene there is hardly anyone left who could make use of those assets, since in the last years everything has become targeted to small primitive 2D or cheap 3D mobile games. All assets and game engine that target the 2D and mobile market experience a boom right now, if you produce assets or game dev tools targeted to that market, you will become super popular, but if you do serious full 3D game development, there is hardly anyone left who even cares or even has the skill to make use of what you are producing.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 pm
"I'm probably the biggest and best free open source game ready 3D asset producer in the world and I never observed any evidence that it drew significant attention"

I'm sorry to be brutally honest but if your not getting any attention for it or observed anyone using what u produce, chances are your not the biggest or the best
Duion

by Duion » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:04 pm
I'm sorry to be brutally honest but if your not getting any attention for it or observed anyone using what u produce, chances are your not the biggest or the best
The joke here is, that I'm the only one... Thats how I know I'm the best.
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 pm

I usually just save this for irc ;)
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:05 am
Alright, we don't need to be inviting the drama llama or anything.

The biggest compelling reason to make as fleshed out and technically impressive demonstration as possible is two-fold. Shiney things attract people, and more importantly, it makes for an excellent testbed.

The harder the scene can push(within reason, of course) and the more features and elements it has on display, the easier it is to test things and make sure stuff is working, how changes to the engine impact behavior, and so on.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:19 am
It does not matter how good it is, if you have no market, it will not do anything, so better think about to who and where you market it first.
37 posts Page 2 of 4