Stop using Discord

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
49 posts Page 4 of 5
Timmy
by Timmy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:10 pm
@
Duion
do correct me if i am wrong, but the only link i can find to discord is within these actual forums. There is no link that i noticed to discord on the landing page for this community (torque3d.org), there is only a link to the forums (via Community->Forums). Than once you reach the forums, yes there is a link to discord but i don't see how you could say that is the only way to communicate, the link certainly doesn't say anything like that & obviously here i am (and others) replying to you right now in these very forums (not that i am a steering committee member anyway). As i mentioned before, if you want an IRC channel or whatever dedicated to t3d, create one and i'm sure a mod would be happy to provide a link to it.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Discord is the only way to communicate aside from the forum, which is hardly ever used by anyone, since anyone is just using Discord for anything and never before was any other way of communicating advertised on the forum or by people, not even the IRC channel when it still existed, it existed kind of in the shadows.
Julius
by Julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm
Haha, typical case of the wrong guy with the right "arguments" :) Discord really is pretty bad and basically owned by the Chinese government...

But the argument is a bit silly as most other open-source games have long solved this issue by simply bridging their IRC channel to Discord. Works great and is easy to host: https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Just gonna put this out there. The only reason we are promoting Discord, is because of its popularity within the community.

Should a new communication channel arise that are just as popular, it will of course get featured in the same way Discord is.

The forums website is in no way favoring Discord over alternatives.

Edit: inb4 there was no IRC link.
The Discord link came up after IRC went down, and it was requested by Discord users.
Julius
by Julius » Thu May 16, 2019 8:27 pm
If there is interest we are currently working on a Mattermost based team-chat for interested open source game projects https://chat.freegamedev.net
Mattermost offers a lot of neat devops integrations such as https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-plugin-github

We also have a Matterbridge running that could bridge to the existing Discord and IRC chats.

However, I have to say that Duion is currently banned on our network due to excessive trolling :) I might be willing to give him a third? chance though :p

P.S. we also have a new Gitea based code hosting repository: git.freegamedev.net
Duion

by Duion » Thu May 16, 2019 8:50 pm
@
Julius

This forum is for game developers using Torque3D, you are neither a game developer nor are you using Torque3D.

Why would I as game developer using Torque3D want to be a member of a game development community where nobody is a game developer or using Torque3D?

PS: Bridging Discord chats is even more stupid and dangerous than using Discord by itself, since you just spread the infection.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am
@
Duion

Bringing more people in the game development space into the T3D community where they may find the game engine they've been looking for is hardly a bad idea.

Calling other communities an "infection" is pretty impressively rude and I'd ask you don't do that again.

If we bring T3D and our community to their attention and they choose to not utilize the engine, that's their call but it hardly makes them 'diseased'.

Incidentally, I have recently drafted a Code of Conduct in the announcement subforum, stickied. I would recommend that you give it a read over.
Duion

by Duion » Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm
@
JeffR

"Infection" was meant metaphorically and it was related to Discord.

I explain it for you once again in a bit more detail, if you don't understand the short reference:

You don't solve the Discord problem by bridging other services to it, since that makes it even worse than using Discord itself, since you infect other services with the problems that Discord brings and you end up with using two services that are as bad as Discord, since everything is now routed through it. It is like a hostile takeover where the liberal platform gets taken over by the non liberal one.

Just learn to read, I did not talk about anything you think I was talking about.
You now wrote a Code of Conduct because of a nonexistent issue, great job.
GoldenThumbs

by GoldenThumbs » Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 pm
Ok, so I'm kinda jumping into this SUPER late and have no sort of desire to read through all 4 pages of conversation that have happened. My thoughts may hold no value in this. I do not see a reason to just totally drop discord though. Yeah, it's not opensource, not everything HAS to be. Yes, it's nice when things are opensource, but most people like getting paid when they put work into something. We could just use both, not exclude people who have dogmatic beliefs about these sorts of things.
Duion

by Duion » Thu May 23, 2019 10:57 am
Ok, so I'm kinda jumping into this SUPER late and have no sort of desire to read through all 4 pages of conversation that have happened.
Well you should at least have read the initial thread so you know what it is about. I explained my arguments already so you better read them before you answer. It is not about dogmatism at all.
49 posts Page 4 of 5