Stop using Discord

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
34 posts Page 4 of 4
Timmy
by Timmy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:10 pm
@
Duion
do correct me if i am wrong, but the only link i can find to discord is within these actual forums. There is no link that i noticed to discord on the landing page for this community (torque3d.org), there is only a link to the forums (via Community->Forums). Than once you reach the forums, yes there is a link to discord but i don't see how you could say that is the only way to communicate, the link certainly doesn't say anything like that & obviously here i am (and others) replying to you right now in these very forums (not that i am a steering committee member anyway). As i mentioned before, if you want an IRC channel or whatever dedicated to t3d, create one and i'm sure a mod would be happy to provide a link to it.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Discord is the only way to communicate aside from the forum, which is hardly ever used by anyone, since anyone is just using Discord for anything and never before was any other way of communicating advertised on the forum or by people, not even the IRC channel when it still existed, it existed kind of in the shadows.
Julius
by Julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm
Haha, typical case of the wrong guy with the right "arguments" :) Discord really is pretty bad and basically owned by the Chinese government...

But the argument is a bit silly as most other open-source games have long solved this issue by simply bridging their IRC channel to Discord. Works great and is easy to host: https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Just gonna put this out there. The only reason we are promoting Discord, is because of its popularity within the community.

Should a new communication channel arise that are just as popular, it will of course get featured in the same way Discord is.

The forums website is in no way favoring Discord over alternatives.

Edit: inb4 there was no IRC link.
The Discord link came up after IRC went down, and it was requested by Discord users.
34 posts Page 4 of 4