Stop using Discord

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
34 posts Page 3 of 4
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm
I give no care about the source for this. i do care about the actual hard dollars spent. The rest is frankly a luxury of those that have it to spare.

Ideological arguments aside, looked into the matrix thing for a couple minutes...
looks like https://www.modular.im/services/matrix-integrations at least might be spiffy. I know for the personal game project we've got a nice bot that sits in our discord tracking commits to a gitlab repo as a forinstance, so similar behavior would be pretty spiffy, That being said, https://www.modular.im/services/matrix-hosting looks to be pretty pricey having done a quick glance at the current discord list.

IRC is unlikely to be the back-end again. Not after the headache the maxgaming folks had to deal with to keep it up for us, not after having gotten used to having dedicated subchannels for actual development to happen, and definitely not after having gotten used to not having to have the thing going 24/7 to keep track of whats going on.

Hows this sound for Criteria for Alternative Suggestions:
1) Free or cheap hosting owned by the SC, or by someone that has demonstrated themselves worthy of the trust that would need to be placed in them.
2) Cross platform front end (s).
3) History logging so folks can play catch up as they have time.
4) Opensource preferred.
EDIT: 5) File transfer for fast prototyping of fixes (used that so much didn't even occur to me to remember that wasn't necessarily standard)
That sum up folks preferences?
Last edited by Azaezel on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:27 pm
many of us have VPSs, some people have dedicated servers, either are potentially cheap if the organisation can find the money from somewhere, heck of 20 people put up a $ a month that covers a half decent dedicated server that can host everything.

I will resubmit rocketchat as an option, it does pretty much what slack does, possibly even better than slack does, not dissimilar to discord. allows private hosting, ticks boxes 2), 3) and 4) as far as i know
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 pm
but is this not very simple? @ Code_Man and @ Duion can keep away from Discord and then the rest of us can use it. Problem solved. Case solved. No more to debate.... Top dollar! :mrgreen:
Duion

by Duion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:34 pm
IRC is unlikely to be the back-end again. Not after the headache the maxgaming folks had to deal with to keep it up for us, not after having gotten used to having dedicated subchannels for actual development to happen, and definitely not after having gotten used to not having to have the thing going 24/7 to keep track of whats going on.
I don't know why you guys insiste to self host IRC instead of just making a free channel on like the many free networks there are like https://freenode.net/ which is dedicated to open source projects and almost any project has a channel there. Where is the problem? I mean you have no problems on using a totally not self hosted Discord for everything, but using a not self hosted anything else is somehow impossible, even though it requires a few clicks only.

For example I use IRC for text chat, I also have a bot that keeps track of commits, it is a service by freenode or so, so no problem with that and for voice chat I use a self hosted Mumble server duion.com, which is similar to Discord, except that it is truly free and not fake free. As everything that I do, it is also free to use for anyone. I may even look into hosting whatever you want as a service, but I have not found good alternatives so far.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:39 pm
As far as I know, duion set up an IRC channel for ubergame when the MGT IRC stopped, I'm also willing to bet I'd get instantly banned if I joined it.

He also has his own 'fork' of the engine, which he wants to keep FPS centric, which is fine, but he seems to be against any engine mods that aren't FPS centric, and frankly, the engine needs as much versatility as it can get.

and frankly I don't see a problem with fragmentation of community, that kind of thing exists anyway, and you will see that most communities of that type maintain the common parent connection, with usually many people sitting in both/multiple communities.

even if a new method is found now, so many people use discord, like it or not, it is replacing IRC as the defacto communications medium, while some of the die-hard open source communities will stick with irc for a while, i'm willing to bet the non-religious zealots of the progressive/permissive open source movements will move before long to either discord or a discord like alternative (such as rocketchat etc etc).

While the GPL mentals keep using their text-based browsers, their console only computing environments and stay away from the normals of the world :p
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:40 pm
the problem with IRC is that is virtually featureless, it does one thing and one thing only sends text messages

every other platform assists production workflow in all manner of ways
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:17 am
Yeah, the big reason why discord was the go-to(other than existant popularity with the gaming scene) is the featureset.

Being able to do quick-invite links, web or dedicated app, basically permanent history. multiple channels in the same server for easy-to-use navigation. notifications, file embedding, image/video in-window viewing, and on and on.

It's a lot of really good, useful features especially for when development talk gets heavy that vanilla IRC just doesn't at all hold a candle to.

I'm unfamiliar with Rocketchat or Matrix, so those could potentially be good alternatives, but to suggest going back to basic IRC doesn't really jive, imo given how supremely useful the featureset is towards productivity(let alone community fun).
Duion

by Duion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:10 am
@
JeffR

Yes, it may be "convenient" but that is not what it is about, we are an open source project, so we are not about convenience in the first place anyway, people who want convenience will not use our engine, but use some more convenient engine and to make it even more convenient, buy all their stuff in the asset store instead of developing it themselves, thats the future of convenience.

Convenience for me is kind of a synonym for ignorance.

By the way almost all the advantages you named are nonexistent, the only valid one I see is embedding files/video, everything else you can have with IRC as well, depending on your client, but in most clients you can set it up like that as well, that you have a history, notifications for anything you want etc.

There are also a lot of disadvantages that discord brings, like being proprietary, having to register, having to install potential malware/spyware on your computer, getting data harvested, getting ads for payments they want from you, since the program is not really free etc.
Timmy
by Timmy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 am
It is just not sinking in duion, no one is forcing you to use discord, just look at how many replies and views your ranting threads have received, discord is just another option people have to discuss things related to t3d, there is no mandatory requirement to use it.

I have said this multiple times already, if you don't want to use discord that is fine, just don't sit there and tell the rest of community what software we are allowed to use because of your own ideological (yet hypocritical) views.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:38 pm
@
Timmy

Maybe I worded myself not the optimal way, what I meant is that to not promote Discord as the primary and only way of communication here, not that everyone personally stops using Discord.
34 posts Page 3 of 4