Stop using Discord

Duion

As an open source project, we should have an open source friendly chat platform as well, like IRC, almost any open source project is there, just not us.

Discord has many issues here are some examples: https://stallman.org/discord.html

Update, here are some more: https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

I also think it reduces activity in the forums, which is very bad and your force people through peer pressure to get another program and register there in order to take part in the discussion there, since Discord is not a free open platform that is visible to anyone like this forum. Why not have an open platform for chat as well? It takes almost no efford to register an IRC channel, does not require installing external programs and does not require anyone to register anywhere in order to take part in the discussion.

Edited by Duion

I think I agree... I mean we should be wholly supportive of ope source platforms, and make sure that people who use open source platforms can still be part of the community. While the numbers may be small it is a community we support, if we arent aren't going to support open source platforms its terrible.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-discord-on-linux

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/install-discord-on-linux/

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/discord-linux-app-download-stable

https://software.opensuse.org/package/discord

https://www.modmy.com/how-install-discord-linux

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/installing-discord-on-manjaro/22223

https://sritutorials.com/how-to-install-discord-on-linux/

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-discord-ubuntu/

I'm not entirely sure, how we live with ourselves!

http://bit.ly/2FWExp9

I'm not sure if you're serious or trolling at this point.

I also think it reduces activity in the forums, which is very bad and your force people through peer pressure to get another program

Freedom of choice? I personally prefer Discord.

And no one is being forced? You're here writing and we are still answering it ;)

Important decisions are also still being posted and the forums have activity when needed.

So, what's the problem?

and register there in order to take part in the discussion there

Heh, what exactly is the problem with that? Discord collecting data?

I like how "The reasons not to use Discord" only mentions one btw

You also had to register to be part of this forum, so...

since Discord is not a free open platform that is visible to anyone like this forum. Why not have an open platform for chat as well?

May not be free, but is definitely more convenient and it was one of the first things i searched about this community.

Can you please elaborate more about this suggestion? It's very bland and i have the feeling that it goes more through your personal preference of which platform we should use for coms, instead of really helping with anything.

I'm not trolling, I think an open source project should have some kind of philosophy that at least prefers open source friendly platforms or tools to use.

You do not need to register to read the forum and you do not need to register to read and write in an IRC chat, but Discord is more of a closed community, you need to register to come in and you need to be invited to the group otherwise you cannot join it?!

Also the switch to discord is part of the "Screw you" policy that is run here as I mentioned here as well: https://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=11072#p11069

We had an IRC channel since forever, but Jeff decided that we use Discord now and when I said something against I just get "Screw you" as an answer.

I don't agree to the terms of service of Discord and I don't want to install malware on my computer just to take part on the discussion, so I have to draw a line somewhere. By forcing people to use Discord you are forcing them to install malware and spyware on their computer.

awesome, so now the only reason we use discord is that the whole community is guilty of conspiracy to 'screw duion over'. not even in my wildest dreams could such a happy event could actually take place, but I will take solace in the fact that duions religious and ideological zealotry is so detached from reality that his personal choices are now forced on him by the rest of the world.

What I don't understand is that if discord is stopping people use forums because its real-time chat, then how would an IRC channel improve that scenario? I think my education is in entirely the wrong sector of industry to be answering those questions

Ok, but why "prefer"? That's my problem with this post, it's literally saying in the tittle "Stop using"

Why not suggest as an alternative option, so people like you, who doesn't agree with that sort of thing, can have?

you need to register to come in and you need to be invited to the group otherwise you cannot join it?

Torque3D Discord server have a public invite over there, i don't see why is this an issue.

Also, you can use it without having to register as an account(with it's cons of course)

We had an IRC channel since forever, but Jeff decided that we use Discord now and when I said something against I just get "Screw you" as an answer.

Go with the flow?

From both the link you quote and this, i have the impression that you suggest things and then wants it done

But that's purpose right? If you made a point and they considered and disagreed, why keep insisting and making it seems that they are against you?

I and many people i know dont like discord either.

To suggest a more modern alternative than irc we could use matrix, which is an open protocol with working opensource clients such as riot and others.

It has all the modern stuff you need backlogging, synchronization, filesharing, voice and video chat.

The riot client works in browsers, on android and desktop computers.

The protocol is federated and everyone can run their own server, but its not worth the effort imo so we could just use the one on matrix.org.

Matrix also supports bridging, which also has been used with discord, so people can use discord or matrix and be on the same channel.

Me and some of my friends use it extensively for gamedev talk, it satisfied all our needs so far.

@Code_Man

Finally a voice of reason here. I don't know matrix and I would not suggest to use anything exotic exclusively even though it is good, since it would put most people off, since people in general are lazy.

IRC however does not cost any efford to create, you just enter a room name and you are ready to go, the fact that we do not have an IRC channel is just deliberate ignorance, we had one since forever before and the server for it went down and nobody cared to create a new one and when I do it, everyone is against it, just because it was suggested by me, even though it is the most normal thing in the entire open source scene ever.

So you expect everyone that uses discord to just stop using it and switch over to another application just to keep you and Richard Stallman happy? Don't come on here and tell me or anyone else what application we can and cannot use, the sense of entitlement is bloody ridiculous.

The IRC server was online for years, yet never had a large amount of users in there, funny enough a discord channel was created and hey presto it is a hive of activity.

The IRC server was online for years, yet never had a large amount of users in there, funny enough a discord channel was created and hey presto it is a hive of activity.

Popularity is not an argument, you can just brainwash people to like something, if you have enough of money and experts on marketing, Discord is just a scam. Give away stuff for free invest into lots of marketing, get lots of people using it and then raise the prices and sell them stuff and while doing that data mine them and sell that as well.

Also the IRC channel was never really advertised anywhere, it took me some time to find out about it, but the Discord is advertised on the forum front page, nobody ever cared to do that with IRC.

Popularity is not an argument, you can just brainwash people to like something, if you have enough of money and experts on marketing, Discord is just a scam. Give away stuff for free invest into lots of marketing, get lots of people using it and then raise the prices and sell them stuff and while doing that data mine them and sell that as well.

Also the IRC channel was never really advertised anywhere, it took me some time to find out about it, but the Discord is advertised on the forum front page, nobody ever cared to do that with IRC.

Well go create an IRC channel, knock ya self out. Actually talking of closed source apps, may i ask why your game is on steam? Evil closed source application, i demand you remove it now, same with the windows builds of your game from your website.

Well go create an IRC channel, knock ya self out. Actually talking of closed source apps, may i ask why your game is on steam? Evil closed source application, i demand you remove it now, same with the windows builds of your game from your website.

It is not exclusively on Steam, it is just an alternative for people that do not care about open source, but the game itself is fully open source compatible and works fully without Steam if you want or any other proprietary software.

Same goes with Discord, I cannot stop people from using Discord, but I was suggesting to not use Discord as the primary and exclusive way of communication, you can have it as an alternative, but do not advertise it as the main and only way and tell everyone else that does not want to use it to fuck off.

Free software is also free to be used in proprietary environments, thats what freedom is, there is no hypocrisy in this. The other way around however is the opposite of freedom, like telling people they have to use a proprietary platform and they cannot use an open source one, that is what you are doing.

So you expect everyone that uses discord to just stop using it and switch over to another application just to keep you and Richard Stallman happy? Don't come on here and tell me or anyone else what application we can and cannot use, the sense of entitlement is bloody ridiculous.

That argument can be used for discord more than matrix, matrix uses many different clients and supports inter protocol communication, i have seen matrix, irc, discord and slack all in one channel.

I used discord and in the past and i had a bad experience with it, so i ditched it and there are no alternative clients so youre stuck with it.

With matrix<->discord bridging support anyone who wants can keep using discord if they like.

Using a silly argument as "keep you and Richard Stallman happy" in a opensource game engine is like going to a denim and leather bar and complaining about the fags dancing with each other.

That argument can be used for discord more than matrix, matrix uses many different clients and supports inter protocol communication, i have seen matrix, irc, discord and slack all in one channel.

I used discord and in the past and i had a bad experience with it, so i ditched it and there are no alternative clients so youre stuck with it.

With matrix<->discord bridging support anyone who wants can keep using discord if they like.

Using a silly argument as "keep you and Richard Stallman happy" in a opensource game engine is like going to a denim and leather bar and complaining about the fags dancing with each other.

You can keep your homophobic slurs to yourself. I don't care what software you use, just don't come on here telling anyone what software they can or cannot use. No one is forcing anyone to use discord, is just an option. If you want to use something else, like i said to duion, knock ya self out and create it, i'm sure the mods will place a link to it.

You do realise that Stallman is to open source what Westboro Baptist church is to Christianity? That he hates pretty much all open source licences that aren't the toxic GPL. The man is a religious extremist, his followers are mindless cultists, GPL is poison, pretty much most open source uses far more open and permissive licences than the GPL, its days are numbered, another decade, it and his religion will be of no consequence.

As an open source project, we should have an open source friendly chat platform as well, like IRC, almost any open source project is there, just not us.

Same goes with Discord, I cannot stop people from using Discord, but I was suggesting to not use Discord as the primary and exclusive way of communication, you can have it as an alternative, but do not advertise it as the main and only way and tell everyone else that does not want to use it to fuck off.

in case you missed the title of the thread its :-

Stop using Discord

Popularity is not an argument

o'rly?

almost any open source project is there, just not us.

I give no care about the source for this. i do care about the actual hard dollars spent. The rest is frankly a luxury of those that have it to spare.

Ideological arguments aside, looked into the matrix thing for a couple minutes...

looks like https://www.modular.im/services/matrix-integrations at least might be spiffy. I know for the personal game project we've got a nice bot that sits in our discord tracking commits to a gitlab repo as a forinstance, so similar behavior would be pretty spiffy, That being said, https://www.modular.im/services/matrix-hosting looks to be pretty pricey having done a quick glance at the current discord list.

IRC is unlikely to be the back-end again. Not after the headache the maxgaming folks had to deal with to keep it up for us, not after having gotten used to having dedicated subchannels for actual development to happen, and definitely not after having gotten used to not having to have the thing going 24/7 to keep track of whats going on.

Hows this sound for Criteria for Alternative Suggestions:

1) Free or cheap hosting owned by the SC, or by someone that has demonstrated themselves worthy of the trust that would need to be placed in them.

2) Cross platform front end (s).

3) History logging so folks can play catch up as they have time.

4) Opensource preferred.

EDIT: 5) File transfer for fast prototyping of fixes (used that so much didn't even occur to me to remember that wasn't necessarily standard)

That sum up folks preferences?

Edited by Azaezel

many of us have VPSs, some people have dedicated servers, either are potentially cheap if the organisation can find the money from somewhere, heck of 20 people put up a $ a month that covers a half decent dedicated server that can host everything.

I will resubmit rocketchat as an option, it does pretty much what slack does, possibly even better than slack does, not dissimilar to discord. allows private hosting, ticks boxes 2), 3) and 4) as far as i know

IRC is unlikely to be the back-end again. Not after the headache the maxgaming folks had to deal with to keep it up for us, not after having gotten used to having dedicated subchannels for actual development to happen, and definitely not after having gotten used to not having to have the thing going 24/7 to keep track of whats going on.

I don't know why you guys insiste to self host IRC instead of just making a free channel on like the many free networks there are like https://freenode.net/ which is dedicated to open source projects and almost any project has a channel there. Where is the problem? I mean you have no problems on using a totally not self hosted Discord for everything, but using a not self hosted anything else is somehow impossible, even though it requires a few clicks only.

For example I use IRC for text chat, I also have a bot that keeps track of commits, it is a service by freenode or so, so no problem with that and for voice chat I use a self hosted Mumble server duion.com, which is similar to Discord, except that it is truly free and not fake free. As everything that I do, it is also free to use for anyone. I may even look into hosting whatever you want as a service, but I have not found good alternatives so far.

As far as I know, duion set up an IRC channel for ubergame when the MGT IRC stopped, I'm also willing to bet I'd get instantly banned if I joined it.

He also has his own 'fork' of the engine, which he wants to keep FPS centric, which is fine, but he seems to be against any engine mods that aren't FPS centric, and frankly, the engine needs as much versatility as it can get.

and frankly I don't see a problem with fragmentation of community, that kind of thing exists anyway, and you will see that most communities of that type maintain the common parent connection, with usually many people sitting in both/multiple communities.

even if a new method is found now, so many people use discord, like it or not, it is replacing IRC as the defacto communications medium, while some of the die-hard open source communities will stick with irc for a while, i'm willing to bet the non-religious zealots of the progressive/permissive open source movements will move before long to either discord or a discord like alternative (such as rocketchat etc etc).

While the GPL mentals keep using their text-based browsers, their console only computing environments and stay away from the normals of the world :p