the art and models are mit license?

Johxz

Everything by https://github.com/GarageGames on Github is MIT. Each section/build has the following license, including the FPS Tutorial and all within. (so yeah)

License

Copyright © 2012 GarageGames, LLC

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Why would you want to try and sell the art assets? Seriously? My COMPLETE library is 'open source' but, if you try to sell it, you would make 0$. Take the freaking time and learn to model, create your own work and sell it. Programmers seem to have a LOCK on game dev, However, if you want to make a name for yourself in the game art world, you need to put in the time brother.

If you are talking about including the assets in a game.... again, LEARN to or add an artist to your project. The alternative is something like 'The Slaughtering Grounds'. Where ONE of the primary issues with this Steam released 'game' was the use of 'purchased' assets. I personally don't care and I understand WHY a non-artist would need to use purchased art because a programmer/artist is a rare find. (in the indie world anyway).

Games are a combination of science, programming and art. If you fail at one of these disciplines, then your project will likely fail. Keep this in mind. Original stuff sells. Oh yeah, this is NOT a dig at all the great programmers out there... however, ya'all cant make art for crap. I will try to correct that issue in the future. "game art for programmers' is coming soon.

That is one of the reasons I do all art myself, so it is unique and fits in style and quality throughout the whole project, but it is also very tempting to use already done assets, since making art can be time consuming. The chinatown demo has a lot of not so reusable stuff like the buildings, roads etc but there is a lot of reusable furniture and props like cars and all have pretty good quality.

Thanks @Steve_Yorkshire

@Ron Kapaun I feel you a little hostile.. First has nothing to do with selling and whatever crossed your mind :? second I don't have "the freaking time and learn to model". Anyway thanks for your tips, I just asked :|

sorry if I do not asked the right way...

Don't mind Ron @Johxz , I think he's a bit bitter due to a pretty bad experience. Don't think he means it all bad.

I personally think that's not a good idea to rely on the answers to your question in here. If you're making a game (which I assume this is the purpose) then you'll need to learn to understand all the licences that come with it as well. It can be hard, even for native English speaking people. I think it's best to, before you want to release/sell your game, you gain legal advice and at least check with the source of these files. That way you can at least try to avoid getting in troubles.

But before you're getting there - releasing a 3d game - you'll be on a long journey, which of course, you can start with using existing material to work with. If the licences do not fit your needs/requirements after some time then replace those with more suitable work.

To clarify -

The assets in the FPS Tutorial are not precisely the same assets as in the art pack. Pretty much the whole level was one giant model and the whole thing used a single texture atlas (if one of the old GG artists would step in and add detailed info that'd be great). What the art team did was break it apart into individual buildings and props for the pack.

As far as using them in a game - sure, why not? But after the fourth game uses that level it's going to get kind of annoying....

Yes, I looked into the FPS tutorial assets, they are in bunches, like the furniture of a whole room or even building is in one mesh, it has wrong dimensions and uses a big atlas texture for all of it, which can be good or bad.

If you want to use these assets, you will need to load them, separate them, put each mesh again in the node hierarchy, add collisionmesh and export again, you also have to retexture if you don't want them on atlas textures, but this part is not that bad. So you would still need to learn how to handle a modeling program and how to export/import the models.

@Nils that's exactly what interests me, learn different license and use a bunch of models, and textures.

My main goal right now is do a prototype. So of course I need a lot of assets, and not worry about the license, you know.

If at some point I want to close release, here for example, and have feedback from people in here I do not want to think oh! this models is bsd, or this mit, but this can only used in my own computer and I can't showing to no one (proprietary), something like that, you know what I mean.

Yeah of course at some point the models and the other stuff will be original :D

@Ron Kapaun don't worry not take it. ;)

@Duion haha ok of course I know how to do a export/import and others basic stuff from a 3D modeling program.... but animation/modeling is something else. Thanks for the advice.

BTW what is atlas texture? I want to use this models from fps tutorial (and others) for rapid prototype.

You know a tutorial for doing this?

you will need to load them, separate them, put each mesh again in the node hierarchy, add collisionmesh and export again, you also have to retexture if you don't want them on atlas textures, but this part is not that bad.

Someone know about the texture and models from the documentation, which license are?

Someone know about the texture and models from the documentation, which license are?

Everything that GarageGames put on GitHub is under the MIT license. I thought we already established this.... ;)

So, if you forked it from GG's GitHub repositories, you can do whatever you like with it as long as it meets the MIT license requirements:

from http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT -

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright ©

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy

of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal

in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights

to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell

copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is

furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in

all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE

AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER

LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,

OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN

THE SOFTWARE.

In our case the year is, what, 2012? And the Copyright Holder is GarageGames. And that's all there is to it. Pretty sweet!

Yes I know man from github is MIT. I mean from the official documentation, for example the RTS Tutorial from here:

http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/content/documentation/Scripting/Advanced/rts_prototype_art.zip

I ask this because have a model "BoomBot" :lol:

But I suppose that it is not from github is not MIT... so, thanks anyway. I will continue learning to use torque :geek: