New default character discussion

Level design, models, animations, physics, etc.
34 posts Page 2 of 4
Duion

by Duion » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:58 pm
Mixamo is not free see here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/fuse-bet ... p/10082857

The answer is: It is definitively NOT free as in open source, meaning when you repackage the models and animations you created and redistribute them this is actually illegal, therefore we cannot use them, therefore we cannot use it as a new default character, debate closed.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:02 pm
You just don't read other people's posts at all. No one is attempting to redistribute any models or animations. Dude get a clue. I'll just let you continue to talk to yourself here and make a new model.

Peace, and I wish you much success on that front.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:06 pm
Also LOL that thread you linked only indicates that repackaging it for resale is not legal. You can actually still use the stuff for your own projects, even commercially.

Here is a quote from the OFFICIAL mixamo FAQ: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/ ... o-faq.html

You can use both characters and animations royalty free for personal, commercial, and non-profit projects including:
Incorporating characters into illustrations and graphic art
3D printing characters
Creating films
Creating video games

Stop spreading misinformation. I hope you succeed with a new default Soldier using MakeHuman and I'm not attempting to discourage you from doing that. PLEASE do that. Just don't go around like you are learned in things you aren't and try to discredit others who are.
Last edited by TorqueFan on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duion

by Duion » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:11 pm
Yes YOU can use the model YOU created for YOUR product, even commercially, but nobody else can, which means it is useless for anyone else, which means it can never be our new default soldier.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 pm
Following a tutorial that will leave you with an fully animated model that you can use in your project is NOT useless. For those actually interested in this, I'm still working on it, and not letting Duion discourage this resource for our Community.

Goodbye Dude
Bishop
by Bishop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:38 pm
@
TorqueFan
thanks for this tutorial works....this is great!!!
....is there any chance for pdf format tutorial as well?
Also thanks to @
Duion
for his work on this better modular character works!!
Duion

by Duion » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm
If you create a tutorial how others can do their own character this means everyone will need to do the tutorial and create their own characters. Also it forces everyone to register at Mixamo and use their product and the result will be incompatible with everything else, therefore making it useless for anyone not using Mixamo and not using your workflow. This problem is exactly what I'm trying to prevent.

If you create a new default character people won't have to do anything, you can just distribute it to them and they can just use it right out of the box. Doing anything in this case is optional. Ideally we add it to the main engine and then everyone will benefit from it automatically.

@
Bishop

We have not done anything yet and I will not do anything until we can agree on something. I created multiple example and prototype assets before, just for people refusing to use them and complaining that they were not good enough, even though there was no alternative and they themselves could not do it any better.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm
As somebody who constantly rips out the overcomplicated soldier to replace it with either kork or the blue guy for every project even minutia testing of new versions... I'm all for something more generic and usable, I haven't read links, I'm too lazy but if you cannot distribute mixamo then it serves little purpose for this particular discussion. it is, however, another tool in the toolbox, and if a new default character and modified underlying structure are implemented then any tutorials with other tools need to blend in with that system.

One of the complexities of the system is the issues around first-person and third-person with first-person being more about weapons(or tools) than it is about character, this is not really discussed anywhere in any useful documentation, the discussion may well be had about how this two interoperate, which I guess is also useful but they still need to be documented distinctly.

Animations are key here since they are also hardcoded sections of this in the engine, not sure how other engines handle this, but I have often heard people complain about flexibility, whether these are based on actual lacks or perceived lacks I don't know, never really used any other engines, nor have I ever used any non-torque provided animations, even with non-torque models I have rigged a torque skeleton to the models, just because of the masses of animations available for me the mega animation pack, the mack/fack pack and of course the CMU released animations (yeah I know there's a lot of useless animations in there but maybe some people might use them).

I'm slightly concerned about the open-source zealotry, while there are open source tools and often the best choice and everyone is entitled to use those, they are NOT the only tools and not always the best choice, any contrary opinion is precisely that opinion... this is why annoyingly the current character model is supplied in a completely (a piss poor IMO) non-partisan format, there are other formats, which are far more commonly used and stable which could be used, and this should also be discussed, limiting to blender just because of the software is open source is a poor reason for choice.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:19 pm
Here I've been building a tutorial for people to use as a learning tool. The fact that this entire idea originated in another thread where I was attempting to help a newcomer to begin with has been lost here. Originally I proposed that a new Soldier be created, and I'm still on board with that 100%. However, as I'm designing these tutorials I'm realizing that a clear and concise and easy to follow introduction is a must.

The issue here is that it's largely being overlooked that mixamo is intended to be used as a learning process for people to enjoy. For entry level users and up to learn and see right away results so that they can build excitement around using the engine. Not to mention when they are done if they choose they can keep that character for their game if they want to and it can be legally redistributed in that way.

I just feel like I'm trying to offer an extremely positive thing here, that will ultimately help a lot of people learn in an easy way, and it's being shot down before it gets off the ground because of differences in opinion. I mean, when it's all said and done this thread wouldn't even exist had I not taken the initiative and started being proactive and suggesting all of this in the first place. If the help isn't wanted, why do I spend the weekend trying to help?
Duion

by Duion » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:30 pm
@
TorqueFan

Mixamo sells 3D character models and animations, if you create a tutorial for that all you teach people is to import their already made 3D characters including the already made animations into their game, they will not have learned how to create characters nor how to make animations all you teach them is how they use a commercial product.

We need something we can redistribute, which is not possible with Mixamo, therefore this has no place here at all, so can you please stop it?
34 posts Page 2 of 4