myFunProject_01

56 posts Page 4 of 6
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Tue May 26, 2020 10:44 am
Probably wouldn't take legal advice from duion, he tends to have his own twisted definition of words that fit his anti-establishment views better.
personally I would generally argue that personal use only is an anti-commercial option, otherwise, there's a huge set of 'personal use only' software I can personally use to make money I suspect is a poor defence in court, and i wouldn't rely very much on a 'but duion said' defence either.

https://www.quora.com/If-a-copyrighted- ... rs?share=1

linked this, but a simple scanning of any other page with a stipulation of 'personal use only' and not even the higher bar of 'strictly personal use only'...

If you are really concerned, and potentially you should be because legal terms are legal terms, a simple email to the developer might just solve the problem since much of his stuff is freely available and some of it explicitly allows commercial use iirc
fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm
thanks you Gentlemen for helping me to understand . It is quite considerate of you and I appreciate you .
fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Sun May 31, 2020 9:43 am
more attemp at less halo using GIMP
i removed the alpha channel from the images and added a greenish background and set the alpha color to the greenish background .

fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:01 am
in an earlier post I mentioned that the small dandelion model was flashing (severely) when place on the ground . I was using 64 and 48 such sizes for square size of the terrain and I believe it is the reason . smaller numbers have no adverse affect on that terrain level at least in closer proximity to the origin . I'm playing around with it . even the largest models like sectors buildings show a nasty Y axis terrain level line or whatever it might be called , at such high number as +10,ish . others at 2048 x 8 have looked pretty good so far .
Duion

by Duion » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:38 am
This is not how you do it. You need to fill the alpha channel with the color you need, not remove the alpha channel. There is no function for it in Gimp, but you can make selection from alpha channel so it only selects your grass for example, then inveret the selection, fill it with green, then invert again and delete the green again. Whatever the color it was before it was deleted remains in the alpha channel, default is black.
fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 am
Thank You Duion , Ill keep playing with this even though its for maybe just re-furbishing some old images , its still interesting .
Im not sure of purpose of a couple of GIMP functions but , in filters/colors theres a selection for decode alpha , which returns a background color . Also in layers/transparency is one called threshhold which when to 255 or its highest setting sets the all of the colors in the image to transparent . It might be nothing , in this matter with halo , but its interesting .
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:48 am
I know how it is done and this is how the halo remover tool does it, many artists do it manually with a blank color, the result is still good enough.
What you doing is wrong, the threshhold is for fine tuning the cutout lines and you should not use transparency for vegetation, only alpha thresshold.
In your new images the alpha color seems to be white now, if you load the texture in Blender, it will show the alpha color by default.
fLUnKnhaXYU
by fLUnKnhaXYU » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:47 pm
first , thank you Duion for your last bit of guidance , I consider it all as best I can . And now for the latest of what I consider to be some neato shots . Pieces from the sectors demo , an enormous terrain , a couple of neato particles , specular enhancements in the windows of the cityBuildingA asset , forest (with wind adjustments) , windEmitter (see the particles ?) . In the picture is a large zone with the taller buildings and several smaller zones with a single cityBuildingA . honestly the terrain takes 30 minutes to drive across in the cheetah . Any idea on how this might would perform in a multiplayer network ?

Duion

by Duion » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 am
honestly the terrain takes 30 minutes to drive across in the cheetah . Any idea on how this might would perform in a multiplayer network ?
Regarding performance, it does not matter, but regarding gameplay you may never find the other player.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:50 pm
The terrain is fully client based and is fully contained in memory which would be the only point of concern, I'm not sure which parts of the environment still use the square size as the basis for cells. Somebody was looking at some form of paging for multiple terrain blocks which might suit better if the aim is both better looking AND bigger.

In past experiments I've tried 4K height maps with some success, tho again with the caveat of memory usage, tho I will say this was done before the engine became 64bit engine. I also tried with 8k heightmaps, I don't recommend this unless you have an infinite amount of patience
56 posts Page 4 of 6