Community Code of Conduct

45 posts Page 4 of 5
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:07 pm
I was actually requested in PMs to create a CoC, largely because of exactly what i said when i posted it - we're regularly getting new people, and when 4.0 drops we can expect that to increase more. A bigger community is more challenging to self regulate, so having a specific code of conduct so everyone is on the same page makes things appreciable easier.

I didn't make the CoC specifically for you, and the timing was unfortunately coincidental with your insinuations about other communities(Also, you complain about it not being applied when insulting people, but the first instance in which I applied it had you drawing similarities of another community joining up with ours in discord as being akin to an infection, which most people would find insulting)

As I told you and everyone else before, if you see people hurling insults around, by all means, let me know. I'm trying to put together a list of people to act as Mods(if you want to apply to this, incidently, feel free to PM me) so they can help manage the forums more efficiently, because I can't keep up with literally everything, ergo I'm likely to miss some stuff.

If you feel you've been wronged in a way that would run agrounds of the CoC, absolutely let me know and I'll look into it.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:06 pm
I didn't make the CoC specifically for you, and the timing was unfortunately coincidental with your insinuations about other communities(Also, you complain about it not being applied when insulting people, but the first instance in which I applied it had you drawing similarities of another community joining up with ours in discord as being akin to an infection, which most people would find insulting)
How many more times do I have to explain that I did not do that? I also did not insult anyone, but in fact was victim of being insulted. I discussed the downsides of using Discord in a thread that I created for exactly that purpose. The only thing I said regarding other communities, is that I don't want to join a game development community, where nobody uses Torque and where probably also nobody develops any games, can't you see the logic in that?

Why you try to appeal to people that never used Torque and never contributed to it? If the target group you try to appeal to does not exist here, there is nothing you can gain.

PS: I applied as a mod multiple times now, because I was the only one finding the spam, but I was denied that every single time.

PPS: You should rather setup an existing steering committee, so that you don't have to do everything on your own all the time, you are behind schedule for that task for like 4 years now.
Mitovo
by Mitovo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 am
Why you try to appeal to people that never used Torque and never contributed to it? If the target group you try to appeal to does not exist here, there is nothing you can gain.
That's a weird question.

The only way you grow a community is by welcoming and appealing to new people. And anyway, every person who uses or contributes to T3D started as a non-user/non-contributor. Yourself included.

Are you against seeing this community grow and thrive? Would you prefer it remain insular and mostly static?
That's a sincere question, because I really can't fathom why one would want to discourage attracting new users and contributors to a project they seem to love so much.
Duion

by Duion » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 am
That's a weird question.

The only way you grow a community is by welcoming and appealing to new people. And anyway, every person who uses or contributes to T3D started as a non-user/non-contributor. Yourself included.

Are you against seeing this community grow and thrive? Would you prefer it remain insular and mostly static?
That's a sincere question, because I really can't fathom why one would want to discourage attracting new users and contributors to a project they seem to love so much.
Imagine someone wants to grow his football club, but all he does is advertise to the target group of golf players, it is kind of obvious that this does not work well. But it gets worse after 8 years of appealing to golf players to become football players this person did not manage to recruit a single person, but still insists that some time in the future the golf players will convert to football players and continues to appeal to golf players, more than to his own target group, so much that he manages to make his already existing football members leave, since they are so pissed off, because all the club does is appeal to golf players, even though they have no business being in the football club.

And of course I started out as a Torque3D user when I came to this community and if you are a user, you are automatically also a contributor in most cases, but if you are not a user to begin with, you hardly can be a contributor.

The fact is, practices like that had zero success in the past 8 years or however long this community existed, so I have definitive proof that such behavior is completely useless in attracting new users and is even harmful. So you have no basis for negotiation, none at all, you are just insane and insist on being insane in the future. All I'm trying is to show you this reality.
Last edited by Duion on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitovo
by Mitovo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:47 pm
Are you insane or so?
And there it is.

This is why a CoC is necessary. Because people like you can't have a civil, respectful conversation without attacking others. This is a perfect example.

I asked a sincere, good faith question. I did not attack you. I did not insult you. And that's what you open your reply with. Wonderful.

Discussion's over.
Duion

by Duion » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:49 pm

And there it is.

This is why a CoC is necessary. Because people like you can't have a civil, respectful conversation without attacking others. This is a perfect example.

I asked a sincere, good faith question. I did not attack you. I did not insult you. And that's what you open your reply with. Wonderful.

Discussion's over.
Ah now I get why a CoC is necessary, it is to censor criticism, so that insane people can cause havoc and destroy everything I work and stand for without me being allowed to even call them out.

If someone does something completely irrational that is devoid of any logic and reason, I'm not allowed to ask if the person is still sane or not? You complain about me not having a civil discussion, but you are the one never making any arguments or disproving my arguments, but making personal attacks against me, which is also very hypocritical.

If me using the word "insane" is all your problem, I can offer to censor myself of that word and if you don't have a civil discussion afterwards it just proves you are a hypocrite.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:55 pm
Duion, you specifically mentioned people utilizing insults as being in violation of the CoC, and I concurred that yes, insulting people would reasonably be so.
It all becomes even more hypocritical as those rules are basically never applied in cases of real bad behavior like insulting people
So understand this as being a follow-up specifically to you bringing up how insults would be involation of the CoC when I say you can consider calling someone "insane" when they are engaging in reasonable, civil discourse with you, but saying things you dislike as being an insult, and therefore, as previously established in this very thread in violation.

As you said yourself, you can just simply not use insults, and go on to engage in civil conversation. I know you are capable of doing this, you know you are capable of doing this. So start doing it and don't insult people again.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 pm
If you try to censor any mention of a negative attribute as being an insult, you will end up in a situation, where everyone will go insane and end up in stagnation or self destruction, which is already the case for some people as it seems.

The Code of Conduct rules are total nonsense, they are almost entirely subjective and therefore cannot be reasonably enforced. There is also no background on who demanded a Code of Conduct and why, the only reason I was told, was a lie, it was made up, so who else demanded it and why? It is not that here is so much people and so much going on that there needs to be moderation, there are only like 20 people posting in total here, so it should not be that hard to find out who is the troublemaker. To say "people demanded it" is not a reason, anyone can register and demand anything from anyone, to blindly do what random people demand without bringing a reason is very incompetent.
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:54 am
Have you considered just not labeling a person with a negative attribute simply because you either don't understand their point of view or disagree with it, and instead focusing on the point of disagreement?

This thread shows otherwise.

Fix yourself.
Duion

by Duion » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 am
Fix what? I cannot fix anything, if nobody tells me what it is about. Those Code of Conduct rules are almost entirely subjective, what is perceived by someone as negative or insulting is totally arbitrary, some people are even insulted by the truth or obvious reality, how you are supposed to solve that? Ban all truth and all reality just because someone is offended by it? Even if you manage to establish perfect censorship here, as soon as people leave this community, as it is very likely as people here develop games and eventually release them to the real world, they will get crushed instantly, because real people in the real world can be totally ruthless and brutally honest. It is extremely insane to try to fix everyone around you instead of just adapting yourself to the world.
45 posts Page 4 of 5